Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2014 Self-Denial Challenge

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You can buy/trade/build whatever you want.

However, if you buy, trade for, or build a guitar or bass, then you shall be disqualified from the 2014 Self-Denial Challenge!

If you buy, trade, or build a mandolin, your HFC account will be revoked.

If you buy, trade, or build an accordian, your entire music collection will be confiscated and replaced with John Mayer's discography.

If you buy, trade, or build a banjo, we'll pretend we didn't notice.

If you are disqualified, you must immediately come clean and tell us the story of the acquisition, why you got it, your favorite breakfast cereal, and of course: provide pictures.

As such, the point is not to prevent you from purchasing or trading for a wonderful instrument. The intent is highlight such failures of self-denial in such a manner that the rest of us are able to enjoy an entertaining story and see some new guitar pictures. And razz you in a friendly manner.

...and be warned: I have top men on call to deliver the razzing. Top men. Top...men.

If you happen to make it to the end of the year without having purchased or traded for or built an instrument between the dates of 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2014*, then you will get a prize.

...which will probably be one of the CDs I got at a bargain bin or pawn shop that's not worth selling on eBay.

*fine print: If you paid for the guitar in full prior prior to 31 December 2013, and it arrives sometime in 2014, it will not count.**

**why? Dunno. I'm making it up as I go along. Should make for better stories by allowing this loophole.

With all that being said, here are our contenders, in the order I encounter them in the nomination thread:

- Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame -- Disqualified. 8 Feb 2013. Traded for a Yamaha Weddington Classic, and then purchased a Yamaha PAC312 for cheap. Stories and pics soon.

- Cynic 8 Feb 2013. Out for one of the best reasons possible: a blue Talladega

- Montelovesco 9 Feb 2013 for an Ovation Hybrid (pictures?)

Still Masters of their Domain:

- specialk

- Thorn (because I can't figure out if he's in or out, but he posted in the thread)

- Feynman III (darkhorse contender)

- Drendino (you ordered the guitar a long time ago, not your fault they wouldn't take payment in full)

- polara (running out of parenthetical statements to make)

- tbonesullivan (I'll just stop now)

- sirskelt

- jwhitcomb3

- gorch

- sirDaniel

- Toadroller

- ghamerinfrance

- velorush

- carfish7

- belgian

If any of you have purchased or acquired guitars since 1 Jan 2014 that you hadn't ordered back in 2013, 'fess up now.

If Montelovesco buys my Tally in a month or two I might have to ask Ronny Scheithauer to build another Bo Diddley on Double Ds. :lol:

I'm out. Put a Rickenbacker bass in layaway 3 weeks ago!

Of course, I know better than entering the challenge anyway... good luck to the rest of you. Hope I find the great deals you guys pass on. (Hee hee!!!)

According to a mail I received from His Highness, SirDaniel and according to DHLs comfirmation I hereby declare officially my

"And he is...... OUT!!!".

Could't resist that Ovation Hybrid and the cereals... And I guess some of you have noticed the efforts to get hands on that Washburn in Lexington... So I did not make it longer than 2013. Looks like I am only good for a month max...

But - I promise - what ever happens, pics will follow. From guitars and cereals!

So, based on your 'rules', everyone is in...

Also, outright sales are not part of the challenge.

What about mods to existing instruments? Free pass?

And amps / recording gear / pedals not included?

We can't force you to play if you don't want to.

Sales are not part of the challenge. Mods to existing instruments don't count, because it is still pretty much the same instrument. Do you have a different wife just because she changes her hairstyle? Amps, recording gear, and pedals not included because that's too much to track. Besides, this is a guitar/bass website, mostly. It's also a group of crazy friends and idiots, but I'm not going to have a "Stop Being a Crazy Friend or Idiot Challenge".

2014 Self-Denial Challenge

Hell, I've been in self-denial since 1994. Do I get anything for that achievement (other than debilitating regret)? :huh:

Maaaan. I wanted to try again this year. Only to fail again with weeks to go.

But I'm planning on assaulting the forum's sensibilities with part mutts ugliness all year. So under section 3, The Builder's Clause, I'll be out ASAP.

Btw Nathan, top reference.....top reference.

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-matte-painting.j

• 2 weeks later...

So far I've avoided buying new stuff this year by rediscovering the stuff I already have. For example, I popped a set of flatwound strings on one guitar, and it transformed the instrument. It changed the sound, the feel, and the response (not so easy to bend these suckers), which led me to changing my approach and evoked some very interesting sounds.

Similarly, I've gone back to my modeling synths and effects and explored some of the nooks and crannies that I'd previously ignored or not fully understood, and have had some exciting results. (OK, granted, I'm kind of cheating here, since with a Roland GR-55 you could dial up new sounds for years and not come close to the bottom of this thing).

All kinds of things to try. Re-order your effect chain. Try new picks (shapes, sizes, materials). Play with capos, including exotics (partial and harmonic). Try a different tuning. A different string gauge. Pretend your pickup volume and tone controls only go to 5 and then re-voice your amp settings.

And, dare I say it...

• 1 month later...

*fine print: If you paid for the guitar in full prior prior to 31 December 2013, and it arrives sometime in 2014, it will not count.**

What is the rule about instruments that arrived in 2012 but I finished paying for in 2014? Or instruments purchased in 2014 that wil not be fully paid for until 2015?

Archived