Hamer Fan Club Message Center

U.S. Domestic flights advice please.

RichRS6

Am coming over the puddle (no not Somerset, the Atlantic) to N.Y. on Friday and want to get a flight from New York to Dayton Ohio on Wednesday morning pick up a guitar and fly back in the evening.

Anyone got any suggestions for cheap flights ?

Is it best to book in advance or will ticket prices be cheaper if I do all that at the airport ?

I don't do this sort of thing too often so any sensible advice appreciated.

Airline companies announce sales on Monday. The companies that didn't announce a sale on Monday reduce their prices on Tuesday to remain competitive. Buying tickets late Tuesday or Wednesday typically yields the best pricing.

Prices are highest Thursday through Sunday when most travelers are purchasing their tickets.

I strongly recommend that you check prices online before coming over.

My experience is that prices increase dramatically if you don't book 14 days in advance. I'm not sure you can even buy a same day flight in person at an airport in the US anymore.

Flights are routinely overbooked and, at the moment, there are tens of thousands of people who are trying to get home after their flights were cancelled due to sever weather in the midwest, southeast and northeastern parts of the country. In Chicago, O'Hare airport is full of stranded travellers who have been sleeping there for days. We had another 8 inches of snow last night.

Check expedia or kayak for prices and to choose a flight, then book directly through the airline's website.

Exactly what B. Dave said above.

A last minute flight is usually prohibitively expensive.

I searched on Kayak.com for around $873 you could get a round trip. How long are you in NY? It's about $400 cheaper if you fly Sunday - Monday? I don't know if schedules work out for you.

Which airport are you flying out of?

http://www.kayak.com/flights/LGA-DAY/2014-02-21/2014-02-22

Can you get a direct flight to Cincinnati Ohio?

From there you could rent a car or do you need taxi service?

Thank you all.

Some sensible information and suggestions here.

I was expecting U.S. domestic flights to be a whole lot cheaper, looked at a couple of "compare the airline sites" and if I want a direct flight the cheapest I found was $670.00 with United direct from their website.

Crunchee. I'm arriving in N.Y. on the 20th and making a day trip to Dayton on the 26th early so I can get back in the Evening, we return to the U.K on the last flight on the 28th.

Archived