Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shredder search update: Hamer Centaura score

Case

OK, so I love the Suhr Modern.

I feel like it was the most versatile "shredder" guitar I've ever played. It could do a lot more than shred.

Which for me, was perfect. I don't really shred, but I love the quick playabiltiy, super resonant Alder body, neck shape and Gotoh floyd trem for subtle stuff.

Unfortunately, can't quite swing the cost at this time for a pro, let alone a custom.

I've been looking for a Rasmus Modern, but apparently, they don't make them anymore, and NO ONE is selling.

I'm looking for suggestions for other 24 fret shred-ish type guitars I should consider, with the Suhr Modern as the comparison. For under $1k. Any Hamers fit the bill?

Thanks,

Case

Hmm, I was going to suggest a Suhr Modern when I saw your thread title so... :lol:

Anyway, if you like 24-fret, alder body guitars with Floyds, then I think you're looking for a Hamer Diablo and those can be found all day long for well under $1K.

-

Austin

Yeah, I was thinking Diablo or Centaura HB. Another alternative is a G&L USA Invader (scroll down to see them), available as H-S-S, H-S-H, or HH pickup configurations. Actually, the single-coil-sized pickups are dual-blade humbuckers and sound great!

INVADER-clrorange.jpg

"I'm looking for suggestions for other 24 fret shred-ish type guitars I should consider, with the Suhr Modern as the comparison. For under $1k. Any Hamers fit the bill?"

so.... there's the:

Centaura

Diablo (I & II)

Chaparral

Californian (although it has 27 frets)

if you're looking for a bolt-on any of the above (depending on year) would work. If you're looking for set neck you're looking at mostly earlier Chaps and some Calis.

As for how close to a Suhr Modern - I couldn't answer that

Thanks folks.

Nathan, I actually have a Yamaha RGX620s. It's super cool, but it lacks the refined quality of a Modern that I've had a hard time finding in any other shredder-type guitars.

I may have to give the Diablo another shot -- I had one years ago, before I knew what I had -- that I ended up selling in favor of an Anderson Drop Top.

Chap could be cool too. I've never played one. Are they mostly alder?

Or I may just have to pony up for a Modern :)

Thanks again,

Case

Hire Malmsteen! He'll do all the shred for you.

Oh, wait... What were you talking about? :lol:

You can't go wrong with a Diablo ;):lol:

Seriously though, for that price point, Diablos are your answer- alder body, maple neck, rosewood board, 24 frets, Schaller Floyd, 2 H direct mounted, 3 way blade selector (swapped mine out for a toggle) and if you want even more tonal possibilities, you can probably coil tap your bridge p'up and make the tone knob into a push/push or push/pull.

Thanks folks.

Nathan, I actually have a Yamaha RGX620s. It's super cool, but it lacks the refined quality of a Modern that I've had a hard time finding in any other shredder-type guitars.

I know. I was yankin' yer chain.

But in a more serious answer, depending on what you mean by "refined", Jon Kammerer might be the answer for you.

The reason I say "depending on what you mean by 'refined'" is because for many people, the headstock is a deal-killer.

Blind tangs, direct-mount pickups, no-charge customization of finish, hardware color, fretboard wood, inlay material...proprietary neck joint that is tight and solid (aircraft aluminum set bolts). Extremely low action. Your choice of pickups (the Stew-Mac Golden Age pickups are surprisingly good!)

With a Floyd Rose, figured top, and SD pickups, you'd be closer to $1500 than $1000...but it would be new and custom.

Here are few examples of what he does:

abalone inlay, acrylic fretboard:

DSC_0080-1.jpg

Maple chambered/f-holed body (not semi-hollow, because it is only the top 3rd), acrylic fretboard, MoP inlays:

DSC_0108-1.jpg

DSC_0107-1.jpg

Not many people like the looks of this guitar. Walnut, but a parabolic hollowbody that eliminates the need for internal bracing, but ends up looking like a bean or peanut. Abalone inlay, rosewood fretboard:

WalnutHollowBody005.jpg

Maple body, maple fretboard, abalone inlay:

GlossMapleSolidbody3SC010.jpg

Walnut figured top, acrylic fingerboard (feels/sounds like ebony, but shiny...):

P1060732.jpg

Yeah... diablos

diablos.jpg

Mine have needed a bit of love to get back into playing shape but they are definitely fun guitars. Mine are definitely road worn, so I don't have to worry about taking them with me to strange places.

I don't know a shredder from a Tele, but would any of the incarnations of Eddie's vision fit the bill? USA Peavey Wolfgangs can be found with Floyd and D-tuna at good prices.

When I feel like cranking the distortion, I pull mine out. Great necks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Wolfgang-Dark-Cherry-/321326788586?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ad091afea

Check out the description on this Wolfgang, for example:

"The guitar is sweet...so let me tell you a little about it. The action is a mile high, so you will have to tune all the strings about major third low, so when you finally get your hand to the fret board it's kind of in tune. but that only works for bar chords, chords with open strings require a re-tune. so you will probably have to re-tune between chord changes, during a song, but if your good you should be able to pull it off I think. for about ten years I did a little experiment with it, and subjected it to extreme temperature changes, to see if I could crack the finish. I think in the range of -30 to 250 in about 1 minute was the standard, I set for the experiment. That's why the pics, are not that clear, so I can hide the cracked wood, scratches, and dis-bonded trim. For the last 14 years it has been in a room, that fluctuates between 0% humidity, to a 100% 3 times a day. the frets are dressed so, when you slide up or down the fret board, it tends to slice your fingers, right after your first knuckles. but I just keep super glue on the mic stand. the frets are starting to pop out, and now kind of rock back and forth as you play, so if you play any sort of triad, on the GBE strings, you can't really have low opens ringing out at the same time. sometimes a fret will completely pop out, but when that happens, I just quick pick it up and improvise a slide solo with it, and the crowd seems to like it too. I should have never brought it to one of the best luthiers in the country, to have such a crappy fret job done. Also the tone sucks bad! who ever built this, didn't know anything about good tone that's for sure. if you touch the whammy, it completely goes out of tune. Oh by the why, I can not be trusted! I have no scruples, and I rip people off all the time. actually I'm surprised, no one has shot me by now! I'm supported by the government, so if you buy this, you have actually paid for it about 53.46 time before....technically. My time in the military, in special ops units and regular units, is all a lie....I'm to selfish to put my life on the line for my country. I'm just a scum bag really.....thanks for looking at my guitar...sucker!"

Sounds like your shredder! ;)

Hadn't considered a Wolfgang. Hmmm. Well, I guess I have a lot to consider - which is a good thing. Nathan, those look pretty cool. I'll check them out.

Just want to point out that Nathan, while calling attention to the headstock as a potential deal-breaker, never actually showed one.

Hadn't considered a Wolfgang. Hmmm. Well, I guess I have a lot to consider - which is a good thing. Nathan, those look pretty cool. I'll check them out.

Just want to point out that Nathan, while calling attention to the headstock as a potential deal-breaker, never actually showed one.

Hah! I didn't notice that. Will rectify tomorrow.

I'm not a shredder (stones, AC-DC and the like) but I did take a liking to charvel san dimas stuff

the 2004/2005 reissue stuff (after the fender acquisition) is very cool, the pointy's are custom

shop quality IMHO, but sell in the same range as the pro mod stuff. that said, I do like the

MIJ pro mod stuff with the nicely rolled fret ends...

IMG_9584-L.jpg

they also make em with vintage style brass trems. more kickass guitars I no longer own !!!

BFBE9467-L.jpg

Archived