Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Shredder search update: Hamer Centaura score

Case

I believe that is a Chaparral in the Coroner clip...

Thanks. I always overlook that one, it shares the same neck with the Californian. Did a quick look to find the body wood but had not luck, will check the catalog.

The perfect Hamer to me would be a Diablo 2 with the 3 piece neck.

Chapparals were mahogany (and some had flame maple tops). I can say the necks on my 2 Chapparals do not feel the same as either of my 2 Californians (the Chapparals are a little thicker and more rounded), but the Calis don't feel identical to each other either.

I would go with an alder made Diablo. I am not a fan of Mahogany strat's, they have a violin sounding undertone, I know that sounds crazy. Maybe I'm crazy?

The Centaura is either ash or alder. No mahogany was harmed in the making of a Centaura.

lol. Most probably like the hog, but if you prefer ash or alder like me, the Centaura or Diablo would be my choice over a Deluxe Cali because of price.

I'm confused.

The original poster found Centaura, not a Cali.

Hamer and Strat bodied.

Wonder if Californians and Chaparrals might have sold better if Hamer had opted for Alder or Ash instead of Mahogany. Not because of sound as much as most of the original super strats were made of alder or ash. I believe the upper end Ibanez were mahogany, and they have a distinctive sound. I do not believe Jackson/Charvel, ESP, Kramer or BC Rich used Mahogany in theirs. Some used other lighter woods like Basswood.

Dunno. But I like the sound of a Swamp Ash guitar w/ single coil pickups.

Even if science says I'm not supposed to be able to tell the difference, I still like a Swamp Ash guitar best.

The Cali is just such sheer badassery, tho, that I can accept both a mahogany body and a solid flamed maple in the two that I have...

Dunno. But I like the sound of a Swamp Ash guitar w/ single coil pickups.

Even if science says I'm not supposed to be able to tell the difference, I still like a Swamp Ash guitar best.

The Cali is just such sheer badassery, tho, that I can accept both a mahogany body and a solid flamed maple in the two that I have...

I am a staunch supporter that Wood makes a difference, aesthetics more so than the top layer. I am a huge swamp ash fan for the strat body, though Mahogany makes that body style very versatile, Unless you are totally FX's up, to me, it has a slight violin undertone.

The alder bodied Diablo seems like the perfect reasonable priced great rock guitar. I think ithese would have been huge in the mid to late 80's before grunge. We would see as many on ebay as the 80's Chavel model's......basswood.

Archived