Wyldbil Pirate Special #5

BTMN

well, Bob, that was awesome!

I called Judy over to see, as She was dancing to the jam in the kitchen,

"Hey, it's the pirate 5 that was here last week..."

Judy approved ;)

good times!

• Like 3

My favorite song from one of my favorite bands - thanks for posting!

• Like 2

So I'm first up.

Let me just say how honored I am to be a part of this, and Gene (BTMN) is one cool individual for allowing us to share one unique man's vision of his guitar. I sold my last Hamer a couple of years ago to focus on a few core guitars, but strapping Wyldbil's Special on instantly brought back everything I love about Hamers - how effortless they play and a thick, but cutting tone. I had an '81 Special, but it was nowhere near the guitar in tone that this one is. You can hear it below.

Unfortunately, we don't have a show until April 5th, but we started learning a song last week that fits in perfectly here, as it's a song by an early Hamer adopter, "Kid" by The Pretenders.

It's just a quick one using my iPhone sitting on the mixer so you don't get to see the other half of the band, but you do get see whats important, and Wyldbil's guitar, too. Signal path is: guitar, Carbon Copy delay, '74 Fender Super Reverb. Of course, I flub the solo in front of all my Hamer brethren, but what can you do?

th_ZandZ-Kid_zps14cb58ec.jpg

Yep.....

I have a blues jam party every other summer in upstate NY on Mass border, 50-200 people depending on how many folks I tell. Nice woodsy setting on a hill top. Pot luck, hippie types. If a guitar currier is passing through on Sat July 12 there will be plenty of players to take it for whirl. Overnight camping is advised after the bourbon gets around.

• 2 weeks later...

If possible I would love to be involved with it when it comes back to Florida. I didn't know or meet Wyldbil but I did read about him and feel it was my loss that I didn't.

Where is the Wyldbil guitar now and is it spoken for next?

On 4/19 my band is hosting a 5-band benefit show for a family of 6 that lost their house (a rental), everything in it, and both vehicles to a house fire. They barely made it out with their lives. It would be pretty special to play it at a gig like that. I also have a gig 4/26 so it would defiinitely see double-duty if I can get it in time, and it could go from me to the DC/MD area peeps next really easily.

Edited by tommy p

The guitar is working its way to me. hardheartedbill has a Big Block Dodge on April 10th. If the guitar is here in time that will be its first stop.

An e-mail was sent to some of you, so this is the time to arrange some jams or gigs in Upstate South Carolina, Western North Carolina, and then Charlotte. I can drive down to Columbia, SC, too.

Brooks has given me a show date, but that date might be too soon.

Gene, if you happen to be heading for Cowtown or if the Special makes a south-north swing, or east-west for that matter, I'd be honored to give it a spin. Our summer calendar is filling up and I'd be tickled to show it off and bang it around some (figuratively speaking). If the timing was right I might even get it on the TeeVee. It'd be fun to double-bill it with the Beatles Special.

• Like 1

Brooks has given me a show date, but that date might be too soon`

The guitar is working its way to me. hardheartedbill has a Big Block Dodge on April 10th. If the guitar is here in time that will be its first stop.

An e-mail was sent to some of you, so this is the time to arrange some jams or gigs in Upstate South Carolina, Western North Carolina, and then Charlotte. I can drive down to Columbia, SC, too.

Brooks has given me a show date, but that date might be too soon.

steve, we have another date that is tentative, may 16 @ slims in raleigh.

bob, nice job on the pretenders tune!

• Like 1

Not trying to break in line here but I think I've been lost in the shuffle. I spoke with Gene about a week ago about this.

I'm trying to get the Wyldbil for a 2-fer. My band is hosting a 5-band benefit gig 4/19 for a family of 6 that lost their home and both vehicles to a fire, and I have a regular gig on 4/26. I'm just outside of Richmond, VA and could get the guitar back down to NC or up to the DC/MD guys on 4/27 by car, or ship it anywhere on 4/28. I felt like playing it for the benefit gig would be kind of a cool thing, and I could send it back out after that and forget the 4/26 gig if timing is an issue.

I think Steve Haynie is waiting on the guitar right now and I'm sending him my shipping info to try to get it in time for these gigs. If someone else has it and could ship it directly to me, let me know. I'll ship it or drive it wherever it needs to go next.

You're not lost, you are right there. Let me get a hold of Steve and see what we can do. I remember telling you we would try, but I'm not sure there was any guarantee that it would happen. We trying. :unsure::blink::huh:

bob, nice job on the pretenders tune!

Thanks mang! That means a lot coming form you!

Anyhoo, after a few failures to get the next people on board to receive #5 and a small (read: major) emergency at work that kept me from being able to get it out the door last week, #5 is working its way to SC and Steve Hayne. As I told Gene more than once, I felt very lucky to be able be a part of this, had a great time playing it, but really regret not being able to meet any fellow HFC'ers face-to-face to hand it off. Such is life.

I threw a small trinket in the case to document its time in Birmingham, and challenge everyone who gets it to add something from your town so Gene has a small reminder of all the great places #5 traveled.

post-1216-0-34537100-1396984956_thumb.jp

• Like 5

I LOVE the idea of adding a trinket or roadside souvenir to track the journey.

Very cool touch.

• Like 1