Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wyldbil Pirate Special #5

BTMN

Did KurtL contact you? He is in Austin and so is Brusier Brody. Be cool to get it to those cats. Otherwise maybe we move it up to Dallas or one of the others. Mudshark is in Amarillo and I have him in the loop to get it sometime.

That's a really neat idea. Where has it gone?

A buddy of mine in an acoustic forum had a guitar he donated to a family who lost their house to a fire. He took it to his church and had a ton of people play it, then autograph it.

Started in Nashville last March and has been to Alabama, South and North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Michigan. Indiana, Illinois, Louisiana, and now Texas. Tentative to visit more Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington state, Minnesota, Illinois again, and ?????

Well, it will be back to me here in St.Pete soon enough so you wont be left out of a chance to one day play it. However, I do not anticipate it before Fall if all goes as planned. B)

Check out page 14 and 15 of the thread forward for all the videos and most of photos. Some very fun guitar play from HFC members.

It came out to the gig with us and got used on a couple of songs, an original and KWS's Blue on Black.

A few observations: I'd have played it a bunch more if it 1) had had 9's on it 2) didn't have such a seriously, seriously skinny neck. As in narrow. I have small hands and don't mind skinny necks, but the Pirate #5 is the smallest neck I've ever met up with. OTOH, it's got attitude for days and what appears to be an old DiMarzio Super Distortion has a great, great tone. A friend shot a bit of video and hopefully I'll get it soon enough to be worth posting.

In the meantime there's this. I was trying to do a gnarly face to match the guitar and my shirt, but it mostly came out looking like I was in some sort of gastric distress. The PA speaker proves that it was gigged, though.

TomampWyldbildownsize3_zps4271c558.jpg

That thing looks tiny in front of you Tom. Imagine what it will look like on me! And if the neck is small for you, my hands will probably wrap around it twice while I try to make mandolin chords.

Edited by stratokatsu

The WPS got bloodied tonight onstage at the Lucky Lounge in downtown Austin, Texas. I hope to have a video of some sort of it to post tomorrow. Busted it out to play "Tulsa Time," after playing the Talladega for about two hours. Moving from that big ole V neck to a the little neck on the Special instantly cramped my hand, haha! However, I think it sounded pretty good. I said a little bit about the guitar before we played and got a lot of questions later about Hamer, WyldBil, and the whole project going on. The story made a lot of people smile and think maybe to world ain't so bad after all.

You done a good thing here, Gene.

Edited by LucSulla
  • Like 5

Here it be!

There were actually quite a few people there. Our fiddle player just showed up and played along (he'd only played with us at one practice, and almost none of these songs). This song is in Bb, and I think that is why he sounded a bit wonky. Apparently, fiddle players hate those flat keys more than guitarists.

Edited by LucSulla
  • Like 5

Thats very cool. Don't know bil (or any of you, really)...but this speaks volumes. Very glad I joined the forum...looking forward to building my Hamer collection!

Being a noob...I don't expect to be able to participate, but I will be watching for pix and following along :)

Awesome idea. Awesome group.

Edited by BlueJer
  • Like 2

Aaaaand I just realized how long this tour was going on last night...LOL. Boy do I feel like a dum dum...

I posted my previous comment from my phone, and my phone doesn't show me multi-page posts. All I saw was the initial post talking about the idea.

I spent a couple hours reading back and listening/watching vids, looking at pix, checking out wyldbill.com, etc.

Wowed. Very, very cool tribute.

Thats very cool. Don't know bil (or any of you, really)...but this speaks volumes. Very glad I joined the forum...looking forward to building my Hamer collection!

Being a noob...I don't expect to be able to participate, but I will be watching for pix and following along :)

Awesome idea. Awesome group.

• Like 2

I was thinking about this thread last night.

It started because my friend Al Brogdon, who I know from Facebook, but never actually met in person, is coming to town Sunday. Our friendship started out as my friendship with his son through a guitar forum. His son and I, with some other guys, met every year for a while to jam, eat pizza, drink more beer than we should and make our rock & roll faces. He and his son are equally older and younger than me and I'd say over time, I've become just as friendly with Al as his son Mark.

We have this idea about doing some sort of duet, maybe a video, and sending it to Mark. That got me thinking thinking about this guitar, the mysterious black color, the skull and crossbones... and I started thinking, when it's my turn, what am I going to play on it? I can't name a song I could play that supports the look of this guitar. I have to expand my song list... Maybe some Irish Whaling song where people die... ???

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am here in Washington State (but closer to Portland). Good potential of getting together with Conorb. I believe I am still on the original list.

• Like 1

Handed off. Godspeed, WPS!

Met up with Hamerica, ate BBQ, learned what "BTMN" stands for. Fun lunch!

Great pleasure to meet LucSulla!., (although I didn't get around to asking the question what LucSulla stood for damn it).

Yes, Rudy's was a bonus, (like I ever need an excuse to eat at Rudy's) and really enjoyed the quick trip.

Hopefully will get WPS in the hands of a few before heading Northwest.

Hope to see LucSulla again in the future really enjoyed the quick hang.

Hamerica

• Like 1

Great pleasure to meet LucSulla!., (although I didn't get around to asking the question what LucSulla stood for damn it).

Hamerica

Well, here ya go ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulla

I learned something again on the HFC! Straight from the history channel..sort of the HfC.

Hamerica

• Like 1