Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wyldbil Pirate Special #5

BTMN

I don't know how to embed a Facetube video, but here's one of the things the Special did last weekend.

Intended to evoke a small church way down south spiritual kinda feel, where the guitar player is going through an amp that is on its last legs because, well, that's what he's got. It's a sneaky protest song, as many of the spirituals of the day were.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203482037625296

Edited by tomteriffic
  • Like 2

Yeah man, dat's Cool! The WBPS#5 rawks across Southwest Ohio. Spirit of Wyldbil Rawks on. Even subdued it sounds really sweet. Thanks Tom for having some fun on "my" guitar.

Edited by BTMN
  • Like 1

So time for a lil synopsis so far.

Went to Nashville to hang with Murkat for a lil tuneup before the road. Steve Haynie stopped by and played it a lil. Never did see any photos of that although I was told there was such. Then it was off to Birmingham and lockbody who gave us this great lil video,

So I'm first up.......

.....Unfortunately, we don't have a show until April 5th, but we started learning a song last week that fits in perfectly here, as it's a song by an early Hamer adopter, "Kid" by The Pretenders.

It's just a quick one using my iPhone sitting on the mixer so you don't get to see the other half of the band, but you do get see whats important, and Wyldbil's guitar, too. Signal path is: guitar, Carbon Copy delay, '74 Fender Super Reverb. Of course, I flub the solo in front of all my Hamer brethren, but what can you do?

th_ZandZ-Kid_zps14cb58ec.jpg

Then It took a while but we sent it to Steve Haynie Sotuh Carolina and he shared it with HHB and his band Big Block Dodge in Ashville, NC.,

here is the video, damn Im getting fat

It then went to Virginia and Tommyp where he played it at a cool benefit show.

The benefit show went great but we didn't raise nearly as much money as we had hoped. Here's a couple of shots of WyldBil getting a workout. I played it on California Man and Boom Boom (Out Go The Lights). I must have told the story about the guitar traveling the country 10 times last night and several of the guitarists from the other bands were really into Bil's Special and my Studio that I played too. To my surprise, one was pretty familiar with Hamer.

I have no idea why I have the crazy eyes in this pic, but it's the most rockin' looking of all that were taken while I playing that guitar. I guess I was showing that F# chord who's boss.

IMG_3068_zpsc05601e4.jpg

IMG_3065_zps6961c308.jpg

• Like 1

i

Guitar then went South again to DavidB in NC. All the guys in NC seemed to busy to really get a chance to enjoy the guitar but perhaps on it's way back we can those who missed out, Brooks and Coolfeel in NC and Polara in Georgia.

Beauty & The Beast (which is which?)

WB_zps8978b2c5.jpg

Headed to Nathan now...

Went back to Virginia to Nathan and then the party at Elduave's in early June,

i

Some pictures:

DSC_0226_zps02d9dc6f.jpg
DSC_0225_zps2e8c4a81.jpg
DSC_0218_zpsaf37784a.jpg
DSC_0214_zps4cfbc4c9.jpg
DSC_0211_zps85e15cf0.jpg
DSC_0195_zpsf96ad43f.jpg
DSC_0190_zps12c81f3f.jpg

Thought we might send it to England to RAWK Hyde Park with HELL but I never heard back from Kev and he has not been back on the HFC in months so....

After Nathan I tried to get several folks in the Pa/MD/VA/NJ area to invite him in but everyone is busy or can't afford to be involved. There is a small shipping it on to the next guy charge to be involved. N/P on refusals if you can't, you can't.

We sent it out to Tomterrific in Ohio since that wasn't working out.

And while I wasn't looking, Most Esteemed Redhead, who triples as our drummist and Goddess of Shameless Self-promotion came up with this for the gig where the pirate flag will fly:

JuL-19-14-Norman-Brandeberry_zpsb216c443

Awesome.

It came out to the gig with us and got used on a couple of songs, an original and KWS's Blue on Black.

A few observations: I'd have played it a bunch more if it 1) had had 9's on it 2) didn't have such a seriously, seriously skinny neck. As in narrow. I have small hands and don't mind skinny necks, but the Pirate #5 is the smallest neck I've ever met up with. OTOH, it's got attitude for days and what appears to be an old DiMarzio Super Distortion has a great, great tone. A friend shot a bit of video and hopefully I'll get it soon enough to be worth posting.

In the meantime there's this. I was trying to do a gnarly face to match the guitar and my shirt, but it mostly came out looking like I was in some sort of gastric distress. The PA speaker proves that it was gigged, though.

TomampWyldbildownsize3_zps4271c558.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203482037625296

Now it is on it's way or at veatch's for the week.

Life IS Good!

Edited by BTMN
  • Like 1

RUT ROHH!!! WBPS#5 might have suffered a slight injury. :huh::o

Tomterrific and Veatch alerted me to some paint chipping at the back of the headstock and it might be a reinjury.

Veatch can share the shot he sent me and more if he likes.

RUT ROHH!!! WBPS#5 might have suffered a slight injury. :huh::o

Tomterrific and Veatch alerted me to some paint chipping at the back of the headstock and it might be a reinjury.

Veatch can share the shot he sent me and more if he likes.

There was chipped paint on the back of the headstock when I got it from Jay. I confirmed with him that it was missing when he shipped it.

To me, it looks like a previous repair - and it is holding. I can not get the crack to open and the guitar is still stable and in tune. It looks like it took a hit somewhere along the line, and the paint cracked/chipped along the previous repair. That said, i'm no repair man - it would make sense to have Jay or Greg take a more thorough look at it.

Back to more positive things - Wyldbil will be at the gig tonight. I have a couple of folks that said they could record a song or two with it. As Gene says, Life IS good. :)

• Like 1