Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Sustain Block Saturday

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please help me understand the components of the SB better. The SB are machined entirely of brass - block and saddles, which are then plated etc.? Are they nickel or chrome plated? Both - either?

If so, why is the base of the bridge (or block) brass. Why didn't the choose some sort of steel instead? Mass? Cost? The specific resonance of brass?

I'm asking these details, because I'm looking at having some made here by one of my friends who has a five axis CAM. I just need to know specifically what they are made out of and the exact specs. I'm guessing the saddles are where it could get pricey.

I also don't know why no one has look at having these knocked off by a high-end hardware outfit in China or Vietnam? The good manufacturers over there would make units which would be virtually indistinguishable from the spec. sample you provided. Food for thought.

I also don't know why no one has look at having these knocked off by a high-end hardware outfit in China or Vietnam? The good manufacturers over there would make units which would be virtually indistinguishable from the spec. sample you provided. Food for thought.

The only two reasons something is or isn't made are love and ROI. Since there's no one out there that just loves making sustain block bridges and making them available, then you can reasonably argue someone has looked into it and determined the materials, machining and effort are too high in comparison to the sales the market can bear.

The 2FIG sustainblocks were chrome plated by a plating shop in East Hartford; a good rule of thumb would be to find out where the local Harley riders get their plating done (they chrome everything lol).

There were cast and machined saddles used on sustainblocks; I'm not sure if the baseplates were ever cast - all the ones I have seen appeared to be machined from brass billet. I used stainless steel hardware (readily available from mcmaster-carr) because the original black oxide screws had the tendency to rust in place over the years.

Hamerhead's bridges were easily as good or better than some of the original sustainblocks on guitars I've owned.

Damn Ed - you're making me blush. Thanks! But I've seen yours as well and they were at the very least equal.

Mine (both block and saddles) were milled from 360 brass and chrome plated (nickel goes on first. Chrome is the hard shiny bit that makes it durable). I think Stonge tipped me to the rust issue/stainless screw trick. Thanks again, Ed.

The only two reasons something is or isn't made are love and ROI. Since there's no one out there that just loves making sustain block bridges and making them available, then you can reasonably argue someone has looked into it and determined the materials, machining and effort are too high in comparison to the sales the market can bear.

We've had several companies try to save money by farming out parts to overseas producers. 90%-95% have returned to us because the quality/quality control just isn't there. They figured out that having questionable parts crucial to their livelihood on a slow boat from China isn't great for business or customer service. The high rate of rejection and having to scrap the lot due to substandard materials or being out-of-tolerance is just the icing on the cake.

If so, why is the base of the bridge (or block) brass. Why didn't the choose some sort of steel instead? Mass? Cost? The specific resonance of brass?

Back in the 70's there was a trend toward using brass on guitars a lot. Brass nuts, bridges, and those brass plates called Fat Heads that were supposed to go on the back of a headstock to add sustain. Think about all the brass belt buckles and brass fixtures in the furniture stores. Brass was IT in the 70's.

Back in the 70's there was a trend toward using brass on guitars a lot. Brass nuts, bridges, and those brass plates called Fat Heads that were supposed to go on the back of a headstock to add sustain. Think about all the brass belt buckles and brass fixtures in the furniture stores. Brass was IT in the 70's.

Huh! Dumb me. I always thought it was because brass, being non-ferrous metal, would not effect the magnetic pull of the pickups on the strings. :o

I wouldn't pay $20 for a Sustainblock made in Vietnam or China.

So there is nothing sonically magical about using brass for the bridge parts? Or was it just the glorious coincidence that the mass of brass gets the perfect tone done? Or is it just how its been done and we don't know?

Why not mill the base plate out of stainless of a steel of some sort. Of the saddles could be stainless? If any of the SME's here could please weigh in to explain a bit deeper that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for what metal we could use for fabrication and why and others to rule out and why NOT.

Thanks.

So there is nothing sonically magical about using brass for the bridge parts? Or was it just the glorious coincidence that the mass of brass gets the perfect tone done? Or is it just how its been done and we don't know?

Why not mill the base plate out of stainless of a steel of some sort. Of the saddles could be stainless? If any of the SME's here could please weigh in to explain a bit deeper that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for what metal we could use for fabrication and why and others to rule out and why NOT.

Thanks.

DEMAND, its not like we can go into production and make up variations and upgrades like Floyds Roses. The Sustainblock has a distict sound, a sonic fingerprint, but let us not forget outside this forum i'm not sure if anyone gives a hoot. Some need replacements, i'm sure that plent of peeps just need saddle replacements for warn out saddles. IF someone actually makes them the PRICE and QUALITY are going to determine you sucess.

The material is not all that expensive i've quoted it, its not bad. BUT Material+Tooling+TIME lots and lots of TIME= LOTS AND LOTS OF TIME ;)

Stainless does not machine easily and would probably double the cost. Aluminum machines easily, but would probably sound like a beer can.

Brass is the only correct material.

Stainless does not machine easily and would probably double the cost. Aluminum machines easily, but would probably sound like a beer can.

Brass is the only correct material.

What about Titainum Colbalt or Unobtainium?

I was wondering this exact thing for a different kind of bridge. I know there are TOM or wrap around bridges made from aluminum and I can't imagine they all sound the same. Strat bridges are made from stamped and bent steel, right?

Archived