Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Appreciation for Korean Girl (Su) Funk Jam

I know a bunch of people didn't like this all that much, and I have liked it from the first time I saw it. No accounting for taste, I guess.

But watch/listen to it again.

Pay extra attention to her picking hand. The single notes near the beginning she picks individually (although she throws in some quick, tasteful hybrid picking if you watch closely).

What impresses me most is that for the 2nd half of the song, she is doing skank picking: the funk style where you hit all the strings, but all the strings are muted except for the single notes you want to play. It's difficult as hell to do, takes a good amount of practice and discipline.

http://youtu.be/IN21lcvIsvM

Now slow it all down (easy to do if you download it and use VLC player)

Even at extremely slow speed, she looks extremely fluid, smooth, effortless. Like or dislike the song, I think most of us would recognize she is both talented and skilled.

I could still kick her @ss in a fight.

Yeah, but I bet she'll score higher in her SAT test than you did! :P

Man, some of these young guitarist coming up...scary.

She looks bored

She may be bored but she's fluid... wish I could be bored playing like that too.

Almost everyone playing into a video recorder looks bored (when they are clearly trying to show how well they play). I think it's most people's "Recording face". Mine usually involves furrowed brows, cursing, and hitting the Record button over and over and over and over....

I could still kick her @ss in a fight.

I dunno, she's Asian, don't all Asians know kung fu or something?

Yeah, you didn't know that? Also, when they speak English, their lips move but not to the words. I've seen it on Saturday morning TV. It's a riot if you're stoned.

if that's bored, then I prefer that over strange facial contortions any day :) and that fact that she is smooth as silk also and made zero mistakes, excellent playing all day long in my humble opinion!

Really? I suppose I prefer a few good fuck-faces while someone is playing, especially FUNK. Well-scripted funk sounds mechanical - too pretty for my tastes. Give me some improvised groove any day - mistakes and all. Listen to some early Nile Rogers if you wanna hear some funk.

There's a swing element in funk as well - some guitarists capture it better than others.

i've seen you post the 'looks bored' statement a few times, and i guess i'm trying to figure out why a 'fuck-face' has anything to do with this kid's or anyone else's talent/ability? when i'm watching someone play the hell out of their guitar, I rarely think to myself "man i wish they were doing the fuck-face a little more it's ruining the whole vibe for me" :blink: i get your point, just doesn't seem to be relevant in this situation. again, my humble opinion...

i've seen you post the 'looks bored' statement a few times, and i guess i'm trying to figure out why a 'fuck-face' has anything to do with this kid's or anyone else's talent/ability? when i'm watching someone play the hell out of their guitar, I rarely think to myself "man i wish they were doing the fuck-face a little more it's ruining the whole vibe for me" :blink: i get your point, just doesn't seem to be relevant in this situation. again, my humble opinion...

I comment "He/She looks bored" on many of the videos posted here - I try to be consistent. The fuck-face comment was less about this kid and more about playing guitar period - with, what apparantly was not well-received, humorous intent. I kinda dig seeing the passion expressed on someone's face when they kick it in - think Hendrix. Different strokes man, that's all. Context can certainly get lost when making comments on a board...

I thought the "he/she looks bored" was kind of a running gag.

I knew what you meant, coolfeel.

Still, in this case I really dig her playing. I thought the last time I posted this I was in a very small minority of approvers.

But it really works for me. I'd buy a CD of this kind of tasteful and skilled playing, but of course with the assumption it would not all be in an identical style.

When you break down the song, it seems also like a music performance class's project, with the assignment being to use various standard blues/funk licks in a composition.

But it really works for me.

Is Su funkjam her real name ?? :D.

I think she looks like she's concentrating hard on getting it right rather than being bored, it can be hard to tell the difference.

It's more important to get it right if your going to post it on line as millions will see it so she probably played it 10 times before a take was good enough to post and had probably lost any enthusiasm she may have had for the piece she was playing.

Personally, I'd rather watch someone I can tell is having fun and making a couple of fuck ups.

She still kicks my ass all day long, great playing.

Archived