Hamer Fan Club Message Center

How high/low do you wear your axe?

Self-explanatory  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been varying the height of my guitar to see if it has an impact on wrist fatigue. I have always liked the playability of a higher-slung guitar but not the looks. I have been compromising with Answer 4 but I'm starting to favor Answer 3, because it optimizes my wrist angle and lessens fatigue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere between "gut hiding" & "johnson hiding". I try to keep that belt buckle rash centered right in the middle.

Noonan

This might be strange, but I feel like I can play my best when sitting down, so to adjust my strap, I sit down, and set the strap so that when I stand up, the guitar is as close to the same spot it was when I was sitting down.

My band The Escape Goats is losing one of our members this summer to a 2 year overseas job. We've been discussing a name change. I think I've got it:

Chest'R Johnson

As always, thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, I tend to cover the Johnson with my electrics. It's easier to posture with the guitar in that position. I'm all about the pose.

My band The Escape Goats is losing one of our members this summer to a 2 year overseas job. We've been discussing a name change. I think I've got it:

Chest'R Johnson

As always, thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, I tend to cover the Johnson with my electrics. It's easier to posture with the guitar in that position. I'm all about the pose.

Me too!

rock_star.jpg

Well, when your johnson hangs down to your knees :blink:

Actually, I have to go buy some new straps. I'm sure TG is sick and tired of me bitching that my bass straps are too damn short. Can anyone recomend some extra long ones? Preferable wide leather, not some skinny plastic thing.

Not as high as Little_C, he he he he .................gregc

This might be strange, but I feel like I can play my best when sitting down, so to adjust my strap, I sit down, and set the strap so that when I stand up, the guitar is as close to the same spot it was when I was sitting down.

That's exactly what I do. I tend to play in the classical position while sitting so I adjust my strap so that the guitar rides nice and high with a steep angle.

That's exactly what I do. I tend to play in the classical position while sitting so I adjust my strap so that the guitar rides nice and high with a steep angle.

That's no way to get laid, son.

Hey Hamer guitar players,

I tend to wear my guitars covering my stomach, going up slightly towards my chest. I have short arms and wearing a guitar slung low like Jimmy Page or Johnny Ramone causes me wrist fatigue. I also find having the guitar higher up allows me a better grip on the neck, longer reach across the fretboard and overall better control of the guitar for fretting,picking and tapping. I mainly play Strat style guitars, but wearing my Les Paul covering my stomach and slightly upwards to the chest gives me better access to the Les Paul's upper frets when playing onstage, standing up.

I would love to wear my guitars slung down low like some of my favorite guitar players, but not being tall or having long arms, I find wearing the guitars higher up to be to my advantage.

Guitar George

well mine starts at my gut and then covers my johnson...so what does that count as?

my bassist wears his really high...at our first gig, after he strapped up, I said "dude, that's a bass, not a necklace." Each gig we manage to get him to lower it about an inch...it's a slow process but we'll get there :blink:

Since I'm cheap bastard and only use one strap for all my electrics, it depends on the guitar. My special, duotone and T51 are centered around my belt buckle, my chap and T62 are centered over the zipper.

Actually, I have to go buy some new straps. I'm sure TG is sick and tired of me bitching that my bass straps are too damn short. Can anyone recomend some extra long ones? Preferable wide leather, not some skinny plastic thing.

I usually use Levy's brushed leather straps. Nice and wide, high quality, and I'm 6'2", if that gives you any indication how long they are from the picture.

I can get the "Model Number" if you're interested.

Actually, I have to go buy some new straps.  I'm sure TG is sick and tired of me bitching that my bass straps are too damn short.  Can anyone recomend some extra long ones?  Preferable wide leather, not some skinny plastic thing.

I usually use Levy's brushed leather straps. Nice and wide, high quality, and I'm 6'2", if that gives you any indication how long they are from the picture.

I can get the "Model Number" if you're interested.

Will they go lower than that or is it maxed out? :angry: I'll go check 'em out this weekend and bring my longest current strap to compare with.

Archived