Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FMIC Shuts down the New Hartford facility

7:15 am meeting today. FMIC has decided to shut down the New Hartford, CT facility. No definite word on the fate of Guild USA, Fender Acoustic Custom Shop, Ovation USA or Hamer USA.

I was sent home an hour ago. Jackass was furiously trying to finish up the Standard on his bench. No word on the fate of the rest of the crew. A lot of people had their last day today, the rest will finish up in a few weeks.

The end of an era. Good luck and thank you to Jackass, Northfield, Newman, Jason and Gary (as well as the rest of the crew).

Holy shit !

What are the fuckwits at Fender playing at now ?

Edited to add.

So sorry for all those who have kept us entertained and delighted with the pictures of their skills over the years and their fabulous handiwork.

F*ck. That sucks big time. Now someone has to bend the Hamer brand out of Fenders hands and start small scale production agan. You guys could do it.

Sad day.

Kudos to the crew for making their time on the weekends and such to keep pushing through on the last of the orders. Jackass especially, for working to finish up that awesome Standard...

Hope the Virt and B12A don't suffer an incomplete fate... utter tragedy.

Very best wishes and best of luck to the guys and their families...

Damn!!!! I know how hard it is to receive those walking papers, I feel for all of you!! So sorry to hear this is happening. Also sounds like they aren't relocating staff? :(

ETA: I hope the old Hamer crew can box up everything from the good ol' days and get it out of there (signs, catalogs, everything nostalgic). Guaranteed whoever management brings in to "clean it up" will chuck everything in a dumpster :(

Another reason I will never, ever, buy a Fender!

Here's a thought--can the employees buy or lease the building and machinery, and start their own company--similar to what Heritage Guitars did?

Hate to see that happen. And the powers that be will more than likely NOT see the wisdom of "spinning out" Hamer to some folks that care. But I hope that does happen eventually.

Sad day. Good luck all.

I was very bummed to get that news first thing this morning.

All the best to you, Bob, as well as Mike, Dave, Jackass and everybody else up there. You are all talented beyond words in many ways, and have definitely made an impact on me personally over the years.

I wonder if this is a hedge against the looming losses the inevitable Guitar Center implosion will cause. Isn't FMIC one of their largest creditors?

It doesn't play well for the 'heartless corporate bastards' crowd, but it may be an act of self-preservation - when GC goes over the cliff, they're taking others with them.

I'm lost for words...

I feel sad for all you Hamer people. I love you all.

Still I am a very lucky owner of two remarkable and fantastic instruments.

F*ck. That sucks big time. Now someone has to bend the Hamer brand out of Fenders hands and start small scale production agan. You guys could do it.

I tried and spoke at length with Jol to get his insights. Unfortunately it appeared nonviable, and the price was not in line with the production at the time. You pay for a business based on what it is earning today, not what it earned two decades ago. In the end, it would be Hamer in name only going forward as all the people will have scattered.

Archived