Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Last update from New Hartford

I have been very privileged to work with great people, some you know very well and others are kind of in the background, for twenty four years. They supported me, trained me , stood by me and I'm forever gratefull for that.

Thank you guys for your dedication and support. I truly hope this is not the end of the Hamer Quality guitars.

I'm not very good with this stuff, so here are my last pictures...023_zpsb6f4b8be.jpg030_zps5f997062.jpg032_zpsd6fa2929.jpg039_zps2fd9a4fc.jpg

Thanks again,

Mike Shishkov.

Agreed 100%. We all are feeling for you guys. Very sad day indeed.

Feeling the same sadness as everyone here. Company or not, YOU guys are the artists and the reason for Hamer instruments being so amazing.

Serial makes a good point- the name on the head stock is irrelevant. It is/was the craftsmanship and magic you guys infused those guitars with. Wishing you guys all the best and hope to see your work again soon!

In many ways this mirrors my experience at Playboy. Put in a lot of years for a brand you take pride in, but underperformance makes the company vulnerable to a sell-off, and you get kicked to the curb when that eventually happens. It hurts.

This sucks big time

I never had a chance to have a guitar made directly by you, but i've always said that talent cannot be hide or tarnish. It's not over for you guys, it's over for Hamer.

Looking forward for more of the AMAZING guitars you've created Mike.

It'll be under a new logo, we'll be still buying them.

And as Dr. Seuss said: don't be sad cause it's over, be glad because it happened.

Love and hugs

Ana

You gentlemen should all pack up and come down here and come build at the Dean Custom Shop in Tampa Bay! I left a message with Elliott about this happening. While Dean has a great crew, more can be better!

Sad News indeed. The company loses a highly skilled luthier and your colleagues lose your knowledge and friendship at work. I wish you only the best in your future pusuits. I have the pleasure of looking at my Ultimate to remind me of your craftsmanship daily!

ArnieZ

Are you continuing there with Ovation and Guild?

No, I am done.

So sad to hear. I've been over on the other thread since. Apologies for missing that. Best of luck on the next chapter of your career. To everyone involved!

I share your sentiment, Disturber. However, it's been pointed out that FMIC isn't wholly to blame. Sure, it's easy to pin this mess entirely on them because they had to make the calls and issue the pink slips but IIRC, Hamer was a wounded and/or dying enterprise before FMIC took over. It's just beyond unfortunate that such mismanagement or questionable decision making results in the termination of the skilled luthiers and craftsmen working there. Who loses for this? Certainly the guys at New Hartford whose livelihoods and lives have been thrown into a giant chipper and the rest of us who will no longer be able to acquire their artistry under the Hamer name.

This is sad news for everyone involved there. I have been through this a couple of times and it really sucks. It is ok to be mad and pissed off! Use that as motivation going forward.

I would suggest you contact everyone and try to organize a get together if that be a happy hour, picnic or something just so everyone has a chance to blow off some steam and say there good byes. It's hard but lean on each other for support and comradeship, hell you all have been part of each others lives for along time.

Be well guy's and good luck in the future!

Carl B

Are other guitar manufacturers offering jobs yet? Surely the reputation of all of the Hamer crew would have been known to people at other companies.

What other luthier jobs are within 30 miles of New Hartford?

Assuming you get an offer, of course they know you're unemployed. Then you have to move. Is you house above water yet? It's bad all the way around.

Archived