Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Last update from New Hartford

Epiphone was made in New York, but then a protracted strike in 1951 prompted Epi to move to Philadelphia.

Guild was founded in Manhattan in 1952 by Aflred Dronge, music store owner/guitarist and George Mann former Gibson Exec.

Gibson didn't buy Epiphone until 1957. There may have been some migration to Guild at that time, but Guild was five years old by then.

GuildPilotJacoad.jpg There's even a court case between them around 1951: http://www.leagle.com/decision/1951832279AD553_5678

Maybe it was the strike that resulted in Epiphone employees moving to Guild in Hoboken.

Yep. Brain fart. I meant Epiphone.

Maybe it was the strike that resulted in Epiphone employees moving to Guild in Hoboken.

Yep. Brain fart. I meant Epiphone.

As a union stagehand, I find it oddly ironic that a labor strike caused workers to join a company named, "Guild." Ya can't make this stuff up, I tells ya! ^_^

guild /gild/ (also gild)
noun
a medieval association of craftsmen or merchants, often having considerable power.
• an association of people for mutual aid or the pursuit of a common goal.
• Ecology a group of species that have similar requirements and play a similar role within a community.
ORIGIN late Old English: probably from Middle Low German and Middle Dutch gilde, of Germanic origin; related to yield.

IMO...Paul Reed Smith picked up where Hamer dropped the ball and out-Hamered Hamer since that time.

They are currently where Hamer should be in market share, had the brand been continued to be marketed right.

I'll second Murkat's seconding. PRS made sure that their guitars were in the hands of upcoming bands and consequently gained remarkable brand identiry. Hamer did it in the late 70's and 80's, but when they swiitched back to the Modern Vintage type of models, much fewer new relationships were established. Don't know why.

IMO...Paul Reed Smith picked up where Hamer dropped the ball and out-Hamered Hamer since that time.

They are currently where Hamer should be in market share, had the brand been continued to be marketed right.

I'll second Murkat's seconding. PRS made sure that their guitars were in the hands of upcoming bands and consequently gained remarkable brand identiry. Hamer did it in the late 70's and 80's, but when they swiitched back to the Modern Vintage type of models, much fewer new relationships were established. Don't know why.

Its simple, it's called math.

In Arlington Heights Hamer made ten times as many instruments as they did in New Hartford. When your game plan is to cut sales 90%, you cannot afford, nor require the advertising budget you once had. It was a self fulfilling prophesy, just keep doing less and less until there's nothing. It's truly the ultimate (pun intended) business plan, just run in reverse.

You need not ask how was it Hamer ended up closing its doors, but rather, after so many bad decisions and business fuckups, how did they survive as long as they did. The answer, deep pockets.

Wasn't Greg at BCR looking for a technician/luthier ??

No way in hell he could afford them! ;)

If I hired them, I would have no problem paying them. I have one year's backlog of repairs with just me.....If they came aboard I could easily find enough work to keep them busy.

That would be great just as long as it doesnt go something like this: (I hope this links to the 3:05 point in this video)

EDIT: It doesnt so you need to forward to 3:05 directly

Archived