Hamer Fan Club Message Center

gun laws out east..Pa,dc,nj,ny,etc then life in general

Guest gearwhore

Question

Guest gearwhore

Ok we are considering a relocation..for music,guitars,life. My wife carries everywhere,she's very attractive and gets harassed a lot. If we move from the woods where we are now ,the world is a little rougher and I worry ,which is why she carries.

So I know from selling guns via internet that there are restrictions in many of those states.So here is the big question, Does any one know what Pa(where I been offered position) laws are on carrying and guns in general(we own a few fire arms) and how does conceal carry work all those states.

Then here is the secondary part....we have thought about a ton of positive things why to go..BUT..we have never spent any time in the region,with exception of highways and hotels. So we need a little scaring to bring this back in to perspective. All the dirt you can give us will be much appreciated. And even better if you have lived somewhere west and then moved east that can compare the two...I have lived all over west of the Mississippi.

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest gearwhore

her current carry permit covers Pa,not NY and NJ..her carry weapon is 15 rds...is there a mag limit in Pa..like NY..and is there gun restrictions like NJ cant have Threaded barrels and what about shooting laws?

Outside of Philly, PA has a very healthy gun culture.

Man, even my dad (a PhD in Metallurgy) had a conceal permit in PA. He got it when he worked downtown and had to park out at Three Rivers (or whatever it was called a few years ago). BTW, PA is a big state. Where in PA is this job offer(and where are you coming from)? I grew up in NE Ohio, got the hell out in '99 (moved to Colorado), and just moved to Virgina in January last year. I still go back to Ohio regularly for family visits, and travel all over the country for work.

Guest gearwhore

Man, even my dad (a PhD in Metallurgy) had a conceal permit in PA. He got it when he worked downtown and had to park out at Three Rivers (or whatever it was called a few years ago). BTW, PA is a big state. Where in PA is this job offer(and where are you coming from)? I grew up in NE Ohio, got the hell out in '99 (moved to Colorado), and just moved to Virgina in January last year. I still go back to Ohio regularly for family visits, and travel all over the country for work.

it would be in the Harrisburg area.

Oh yeah we are in northern Minn right now...in the woods...20 miles round trip for gas snacks a burger and beer,thats it and..its 90 miles round trip to walmart and a drive through lane.

Harrisburg? There's some crazy dude out that way who fixes guitars!!! ;)

Assuming you don't move West or North of Harrisburg, it'll be pretty different from Northern Minn. If you go up around State College, well, all bets are off (until you actually GET to State College).

A definite bonus is that winter will be a hell of a lot warmer for you!! Minnesota winters are what made my dad retire to Central America!

Guest gearwhore

Harrisburg? There's some crazy dude out that way who fixes guitars!!! ;)

maybe there will 2. :blink: LOL. :lol:

Assuming you don't move West or North of Harrisburg, it'll be pretty different from Northern Minn. If you go up around State College, well, all bets are off (until you actually GET to State College).

we drive so far right now,I been seriously thinking about a town place,but I like to make noise B) so we have seen west is pretty rural..and that might be good too.options options

A definite bonus is that winter will be a hell of a lot warmer for you!! Minnesota winters are what made my dad retire to Central America!

I would be lying if I didnt say thats a bonus ;)

nothing is concrete...other than I need to finish the house I am building and then I will be game for a new direction...I just know short of be recluse there is nothing going so I think its time to get back to the world

and we are weighing our options while we wait for the weather to break.

Harrisburg, although it is the capital of one of the largest states in the Union, is not even remotely a big city.

It is more of a small town with a big downtown and ring of suburbs. If you start heading north, you are REALLY in the sticks in about 20 minutes or so.

Pick a shore, and find a place to land. My favorite part about living there for a few years is that I could get anywhere else I wanted to go within two hours (DC, Baltimore, Philly). It was really kind of a dump when I lived there 20+ years ago, but has come a long way in that time.

Outside of Philly, PA has a very healthy gun culture.

May I suggest that INSIDE of Philly, the have a very healthy illegal gun culture as well?

Come To Tejas! We love Guns, Guitars and Pretty Gals!

Good luck on your new life direction.

Oh yeah we are in northern Minn right now...in the woods...20 miles round trip for gas snacks a burger and beer,thats it and..its 90 miles round trip to walmart and a drive through lane.

Where about's in northern Minnesota? We have a cabin just south of Ely at the start of the boundary waters on the Kawashiwi River

Guest gearwhore

Harrisburg, although it is the capital of one of the largest states in the Union, is not even remotely a big city.

It is more of a small town with a big downtown and ring of suburbs. If you start heading north, you are REALLY in the sticks in about 20 minutes or so.

Pick a shore, and find a place to land. My favorite part about living there for a few years is that I could get anywhere else I wanted to go within two hours (DC, Baltimore, Philly). It was really kind of a dump when I lived there 20+ years ago, but has come a long way in that time.

that is the biggest reason we even are thinking about it...not too big city and for what I am used to everything is walking distance. 2 hour drives are every day events around here...We sail and not far from the ocean,so we can take day trips and see a ton in the boat.

and we love football...there is like 6 stadiums in the distance it takes us to get to one.

and most of all I can teach and show my kids a great deal of American history there.

Guest gearwhore

well we actually moved here from grand marais..that was out there...6 hous to walmart then :blink: ...everything you need to order in town would be there in 2 weeks...after 10 years of that we had to get closer to duluth.

Guest gearwhore

I grew up in NE Ohio.

Really? Me, too!

I'm currently in FL, and getting a concealed license here is relatively easy.

florida is the easiest state to get it in...its also the state the covers the most other states.

and most of all I can teach and show my kids a great deal of American history there.

Can't beat that in the Mid-Atlantic area. You're 30-40 minutes from Gettysburg, an hour or two to countless other Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields, an hour from Baltimore, two hours from DC, a short hop to NYC and a quick flight/train to Boston or Richmond. Lots of great stuff in that department nearby...

Not only that, the live music/band scene in Central PA is a lot more active than a lot of places.

Make sure your guns match your guitars and decor....

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/mc2NYNO/media/image_zps11262ee4.jpg.html?sort=3&o=108

'64 TBird in Sunset Yellow with factory one-off KelTec Sub 2000 9mm (folds in half for easy transport) during Mardi Gras.

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/mc2NYNO/media/image_zpsd9b3252d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=107

'64 TBird in Golden Mist Poly with 9mm Beretta PX4 sub compact, in New Orleans Saints colors.

......some New Orleans clubs actually buzz you in thru locked doors, to keep the thugs from coming in and robbing them :)

DC sucks unless you are a celebrity like David Gregory. Violate gun laws at will if you have your own Sunday news program. If you are in the military and protecting the nation, then don't dare to have even a non-function shotgun shell rattling around in your trunk in your home: you will go to jail.

Sorry, this was the one I was thinking of:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/13/AR2009011302840.html

I think I confused the two stories in my mind.

The details are significantly different in the 2nd story.

Still, it seemed he was being responsible. He wasn't threatening anyone with it, and it was clear he was transporting it for peaceful purposes, with no intent to discharge or brandish it.

If he hadn't had a flat tire and tried to be responsible about it, he wouldn't have gotten arrested and wouldn't have served time in jail.

You can say he shouldn't have been trying to transport it through DC...you could also say David Gregory shouldn't have had the magazine illegally in DC just to make a point, either. If the prosecutor can decide the public was not threatened from David Gregory's violation, he could have done the same thing for a double-amputee servicemember.

My apologies for confusing the story with my bad memory.

(Other than that, the story was accurate! :) )

Guest gearwhore

Not only that, the live music/band scene in Central PA is a lot more active than a lot of places.

yeah there might be some of that too... :ph34r:

DC sucks unless you are a celebrity like David Gregory. Violate gun laws at will if you have your own Sunday news program. If you are in the military and protecting the nation, then don't dare to have even a non-function shotgun shell rattling around in your trunk: you will go to jail.

what a shell?...I have more rounds floating around my car than I could count...the wagon has a whole box 22 in the heater vents alone...with the price of .22 its very temping to dig'em out but then I remember I am not low yet. :P ..seriously just a round or two floating around the car?

In other words, heaven. Well, except for the mosquitoes. And big-ass biting flies. And winter.

yeah there might be some of that too... :ph34r:

DC sucks unless you are a celebrity like David Gregory. Violate gun laws at will if you have your own Sunday news program. If you are in the military and protecting the nation, then don't dare to have even a non-function shotgun shell rattling around in your trunk: you will go to jail.

what a shell?...I have more rounds floating around my car than I could count...the wagon has a whole box 22 in the heater vents alone...with the price of .22 its very temping to dig'em out but then I remember I am not low yet. :P ..seriously just a round or two floating around the car?

https://www.google.com/search?q=dc+arrest+non-functional+shotgun+shell&rlz=1C1VSNC_enUS582US583&oq=dc+arrest+non-functional+shotgun+shell&aqs=chrome..69i57.10215j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Archived