Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: Gadow Custom Hollow

To be honest I've had a few NGDs that I haven't bothered posting about, but this one deserves it. I have half-heartedly kept my eye out for one of these used for a while now, and when this one popped up on Reverb I jumped. The seller didn't necessarily know what he had, as he thought it was a 2010 with Gadow HBs, and a 1 11/16" nut, unlike the earlier ones that came with SDs and a 1 3/4" nut. However, this is indeed an earlier one, and while I might have shied away had I known it had the wider nut, now that I have it, I LOVE it! Nice string spacing helps keep my fat tipped fingers from muting adjacent strings, super fun to play fingerstyle on, it feels like my Martin OM. Very resonant, sounds very nice acoustically, the 25.5" scale giving it a nice snap to it, also helps the chords ring out a bit more. The pickups are SD Jazz/59 combo with coil tapping, with apologies to his fans, SDs have never done it for me, and so I am going to take the opportunity to try out a set of ReWind pickups, which I have wanted to do for a while anyway, so a set is on order. Fit and finish is great, possibly even sprayed by Stike for all I know. Anyway, if you ever get a chance to get your hands on one of these US made guitars, do so.

Sorry about the blurry pics, couldn't find the tri-pod. I'll have to take better ones soon.

cf0b714b-6f4a-4390-bed0-6929f2693c91_zps

IMG_0763_zps03c12383.jpg

IMG_0767_zps53d9a7ce.jpg

IMG_0768_zpsa09ae7fe.jpg

Cool!

If I had known you were looking........Just actually sold locally (past 2 weeks) my pair of Custom Hollows (one HBs, one with P90s, all upgraded to Fralins).

They are really great guitars, and usually available at a very decent price. I liked them a lot, but I had Ryan build me a custom Setneck HB that more or less made them redundant. (Guess I SHOULD also sell the solid body setneck......One of these days.....)

Hope you get a lot of good times out of that one!

I was pissed when Ryan discontinued the 1 3/4" nut. Feels great for my sausage fingers. I love my "Kustom" Single. I have a few old unfinished employee guitars kickIng around I should do something with namely a blue quilt top Custom Hollow with a korina body/neck, routed for Filtertrons, and a string through the body bridge.

I was pissed when Ryan discontinued the 1 3/4" nut. Feels great for my sausage fingers. I love my "Kustom" Single. I have a few old unfinished employee guitars kickIng around I should do something with namely a blue quilt top Custom Hollow with a korina body/neck, routed for Filtertrons, and a string through the body bridge.

I'd love to have a go at the blue korina Custom Hollow, especially with a set of Filtertrons, let me know if you do something with it.

I was going to have Ryan wind me up a set, but I've really been wanting to try out Jame's pickups over at ReWind, and this seems like a perfect opportunity for that, so they are on order.

Archived