Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The infamous pinch harmonics -any great moments?

Well, he was pretty bad ass back in the day.

Then well... I think it just got easier to be in the Zakk Wylde business.

That was 9 minutes of my life wasted..................

Don't normally mind being wasted (and I know its only Rock n Roll etc and is expected in the Ozzy scenario) but that was one of the most boring and self indulgent guitar solos I've ever heard, I kept hoping it would get better but it didn't, is this the peak of his ability?Anyone got a better example of Zakk's playing ?

Not saying I could do better (for sure) but mostly it seemed to be the same couple of phrases over and over again.

Must admit to not having searched out any of his stuff before now and don't think this is going to make me want to.

Much respect to Zakk for making it so far with such a limited vocabulary.

That was pretty much it. The couple of modal things he used to do and the hybrid picking don't seem to show up at all really any more.

However, I still stand by saying that was pretty cool when I was 11 even if I even find it boring now. Seeing a guy shredding on an LP was just kinda unique at the time on MTV, and he did sound a bit different as well. When shredders were a dime a dozen, you could at least tell it was him. In fact, now that I'm thinking back, I think part of the appeal at the time was the lack of a lot of extensive tapping, sweeping, etc. It was kind of refreshing seeing a dude just rip without all of the flash, at least for me.

Last, I think 9 minute guitar solos are pretty indulgent and usually pretty boring by definition, but it wasn't a rock show without one back then.

Listen to Meanstreet chorus, it has mean pinch harmonic's followed by regular harmonics. "This is home" BUM BUM BUM BUM WAAAAAAA! This is meanstreet - then regular harmonics with the last diving.

Pinch harmonics on the A and E string down low sound great. A very common usage is pinching the e string on the "G" note, which Eddie does on the Verse in Meanstreet.

Ahh yes! Now I remember. He used a ton of pinch harmonics to give some hair to the lower notes in Eruption. Seems like he used a lot more pinches during the Van Halen (album) era than he was during the 1984 era. Nothing beats pinch harmonics with divebombs.

The most epic and memorable (and nuanced) I've ever heard is from 'Big Trouble' off of 'Eat 'em and Smile'.. the beginning of the solo has a chirping squeal sent from somewhere not of this earth.. hehehe.. not going to bother embedding, unless the page does it automatically.. solo starts about 2:20, very early in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CxKWXZvi0I

Probably because there are 100's of great pitch harmonic moments?

No doubt. But love or hate these two (I've noted a bit of dislike for Vai on here) Vai and Satch IMO wield pinch harmonics as well as any of those already mentioned. Both have seamlessly incorporated them into their playing as an effective, expressive tool and not just a gimmick, or a crutch as in the case of Zakk.

I always think of those two as the Ibanez guys. They have probably done more for Ibanez than any promotions or advertising ever. I probably liked Vai better, who I believe was a student of Satrioni, until I watched a Chickenfoot concert on AXE. It blew me away and I finally understood what all the fuss was about.

It's great that Sammy took Michael Anthony under his wing after he was just unfailry left out of VH, one of the worst examples of disloyalty I have ever seen. The dude is underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSwhsu-kdI

Well, he was pretty bad ass back in the day.

Then well... I think it just got easier to be in the Zakk Wylde business.

That was 9 minutes of my life wasted..................

Don't normally mind being wasted (and I know its only Rock n Roll etc and is expected in the Ozzy scenario) but that was one of the most boring and self indulgent guitar solos I've ever heard, I kept hoping it would get better but it didn't, is this the peak of his ability?Anyone got a better example of Zakk's playing ?

Not saying I could do better (for sure) but mostly it seemed to be the same couple of phrases over and over again.

Must admit to not having searched out any of his stuff before now and don't think this is going to make me want to.

Much respect to Zakk for making it so far with such a limited vocabulary.

This started out exposing all he had and then proceeded to go Tap. Maybe Sharon thought she could use Zakk as a spy to keep Ozzie off the bottle, because there is no comparison between the Jake and Zakk solo's on this thread page. Maybe Sharron thought Jake was a bad influence for the off and on the wagon Oz. Zakk took Ozzie back to straight power chords unlike Randy and Jake. Boring.

Yeah, Zakk became his generation's guitar hero without using any whammy bar, without tapping and without sweep picking. His lead playing mainly consisted on "pentatonics on steroids" and some symmetric patterns played with attitude. If you consider he did so when grunge ruled the world, that's far from being an easy feat!

However, while I do respect the player and do recognise his technical prowess, for some reason I never was a fan of him.

Here's one out of left field. Not religious, but I watch Jimmy Swaggart's SBN network because his church is loaded with Nashville Session Musician's. A dude playing some rock gospel with a telecaster was constantly playing subtle pinch harmonics. It's just a style with many. If you like to play tight, the pinches are improvised flavoring, like that squawking fat sound that sax players make that gets everyone's attention.

You want to see top notch Gospel Music? watch the SBN channel. It's 580 and 1580 for HD with U-Verse. Great improvised 30 minute jam session's.

I've been watching Jimmy Swaggart for the CRAZY awesome music. Those white people sing and play like black folk... WOW!

I've been on a total gospel kick lately (ONLY for the guitar playing) and have been trying to pick up some of their skillset for my own.

There are some serious pinches 20 minutes in to this live clip:

20 minutes in?!?!? BEST PINCH HARMONICS OF ALL TIME

20 minutes in?!?!? BEST PINCH HARMONICS OF ALL TIME

:lol: YOU BET! :lol:

Probably because there are 100's of great pitch harmonic moments?

0:55 is a good one. I just love Jake, he has that style where pinch harmonics just happen because of the way he plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAohdmCl4o

Thats a guitar solo.

Hard to believe it's a hard tail Strat.

I didn't get much of Ozzy's stuff after Randy's death, it seemed a bit desperate.

I didn't get much of Ozzy's stuff after Randy's death, it seemed a bit desperate.

Yeah, I get that. It appears that after Ozzy lost his original "Bizzard" band and "management" took over artistic direction, things went downhill, FAST.

The whole, "Prince of Darkness", horseshit, et al, reduced one of metal's greats to a cartoon character.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Bob Daisley's book.

Jaco's pinch harmonics in "Birdland" are my favorite.

Warren, George, Jake and EVH were the masters of pinch harmonics for guitar... EVH being the grandmaster

Ah Weather Report. Back in the drum line in HS and college 82-88, the people that listened to Rush thought they were at the edge. but some of us had moved past Rush in middle school and were exploring Fusion Jazz, so we felt one notch up. I loved Weather Report, Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior, Miles Bitches Brew, Chick Corea, Yes. Your typical garage band didn't know who Bill Bruford or Stanley was back then. It was either Peart, Copeland, Bonzo or Tommy Lee.

I grew up with my dad's Bee-Bop, cool Jazz. Sinatra and all the great female jazz singers. Bill Evans is the one that I ended up liking the most. My dad was a big Miles Davis fan but could not grasp Bitches Brew, he though Miles was on drugs. Now he knows Miles was always on drugs!

Loudness: Action on guitar low enough to basically play entire songs, chords and all with varying degree of pinch harmonics. I am not sure what the guitar would sound like if he played chords without his thumb involved. Might sound dead or have some buzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvPjnY0naE

In line with the Japanese Metal and pinch harmonics - here is a band I first heard back in 88 and was blown away with their guitarist - nice pinch harmonics in the rhythm and in parts of the lead.

Yeah, Zakk became his generation's guitar hero without using any whammy bar, without tapping and without sweep picking. His lead playing mainly consisted on "pentatonics on steroids" and some symmetric patterns played with attitude. If you consider he did so when grunge ruled the world, that's far from being an easy feat!

However, while I do respect the player and do recognise his technical prowess, for some reason I never was a fan of him.

I agree with this other than that I was a huge fan when I was in my teens. Not so much anymore. I think there was a time where I just found speed impressive and didn't know enough to know that what he was doing was far more about endurance than creativity. Honestly, I think the solo on "Sweet Jesus" is my favorite thing he ever did, but his singing is... an acquired taste. It's not hard, it just sounds pleasant.

http://youtu.be/DHBkLY-0UKo?t=2m22s

Nowadays, I would have to say Jake E. Lee was my favorite guitarist Ozzy ever had (I know, I know, Randy). The chorus riff in "Bark at the Moon" remain one of the coolest riffs ever recorded, IMO.

As far as PHs, I'm going to have to go with Billy Gibbons and the guitar work on Skynyrd's version of "Call Me the Breeze."

For worst PHs, I'm nominating Robbie Robertson's in pretty much all of The Last Waltz. He irritates me to know end on what is otherwise one of my favorite recordings, though I guess some may disagree. An example:

http://youtu.be/rP7r12Rg490?t=3m10s

I agree with this other than that I was a huge fan when I was in my teens. Not so much anymore. I think there was a time where I just found speed impressive and didn't know enough to know that what he was doing was far more about endurance than creativity. Honestly, I think the solo on "Sweet Jesus" is my favorite thing he ever did, but his singing is... an acquired taste. It's not hard, it just sounds pleasant.

http://youtu.be/DHBkLY-0UKo?t=2m22s

Nowadays, I would have to say Jake E. Lee was my favorite guitarist Ozzy ever had (I know, I know, Randy). The chorus riff in "Bark at the Moon" remain one of the coolest riffs ever recorded, IMO.

As far as PHs, I'm going to have to go with Billy Gibbons and the guitar work on Skynyrd's version of "Call Me the Breeze."

For worst PHs, I'm nominating Robbie Robertson's in pretty much all of The Last Waltz. He irritates me to know end on what is otherwise one of my favorite recordings, though I guess some may disagree. An example:

http://youtu.be/rP7r12Rg490?t=3m10s

Good call on Robbie. Those were awful. I despise his playing in general, though. Love the rest of The Band.

In line with the Japanese Metal and pinch harmonics - here is a band I first heard back in 88 and was blown away with their guitarist - nice pinch harmonics in the rhythm and in parts of the lead.

This is good. In typical fashion the Japenese put out some good competition and had a knack for highlighting some of the better aspects of metal in condensed fashion.

I liked EZO, There is I believe there is only one pinch harmonic at the end of the lead.

Archived