Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Viv Campbell KILLING some old Dio

Can you imagine a crowd that LARGE for a show like this in 2013, State-side? I can't.....

I as thinking the SAME thing. Only in Japan do they seem to truly appreciate music. They'd be hard-pressed to draw 100 people in New York, I bet.

Vivian looked like he was working pretty hard. Something that he has not had to do the the recent past.

Guitarist like VIvian and Jake E. Lee had good bands but with very generic singers. But at least it was their music.

Not sure I've ever heard Lou Gramm and Ray Gillen described as generic.

What ever you want to call it, they went from great singers to good or very good, and who both went on to sell more records than the guitarist. With both Badlands and Riverdogs the singing was a major step down. I liked them both, but something psychological had me yearning for a better singer.

What ever you want to call it, they went from great singers to good or very good, and who both went on to sell more records than the guitarist. With both Badlands and Riverdogs the singing was a major step down. I liked them both, but something psychological had me yearning for a better singer.

I think this is mainly a semantic argument at this point. To say Ozzy was a great singer and Ray Gillen was not seems backward to me.

I think this is mainly a semantic argument at this point. To say Ozzy was a great singer and Ray Gillen was not seems backward to me.

I am not claiming fact, but my opinion. Ozzie is the perfect person when countering generic. His voice is clear, appealing, unique, and pitch perfect. I have yet to hear anyone that sounds like Ozzie, same with Jake and Viv, they all had distinctive style. So this is semantic, but I could probably find singers similar in tone and timbre to Gillen and few if any that sound like Ozzie. I guess you either love or hate Ozzie, but the dude has some pipes. has unique phrasing and melodies.and that perfect pitch sound is awesome. See how many Gillen singing melodies you have memorized vs Ozzie.

Just want to make clear that I believe both those guys are good, but not at the top tier level. Jake and Vivian's bands might have been more successful if they had not been in their prior bands.

I am not claiming fact, but my opinion. Ozzie is the perfect person when countering generic. His voice is clear, appealing, unique, and pitch perfect. I have yet to hear anyone that sounds like Ozzie, same with Jake and Viv, they all had distinctive style. So this is semantic, but I could probably find singers similar in tone and timbre to Gillen and few if any that sound like Ozzie. I guess you either love or hate Ozzie, but the dude has some pipes. has unique phrasing and melodies.and that perfect pitch sound is awesome. See how many Gillen singing melodies you have memorized vs Ozzie.

Just want to make clear that I believe both those guys are good, but not at the top tier level. Jake and Vivian's bands might have been more successful if they had not been in their prior bands.

What?!??!?

Ozzy? Pipes? Perfect pitch?

I'm not an Ozzy hater but I never thought I'd see those terms used to describe his singing!

I like Viv's tone and playing a lot there, but I think Tony Martin would have been a better fit on vocals for this gig.

What?!??!?

I'm not an Ozzy hater but I never thought I'd see those terms used to describe his singing!

Strong pipes and hitting notes. Not to mention the distinctiveness of his sound. Come on! Are you serious that you never heard that associated with Ozzie? My conclusion is that Ozzie makes it sound too simple. Find me a Ozzie Cover band in the meantime, let's see how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbwxGBh-AbE

I will bring this back to Viv, whom is one of my favorite guitarist. His tone is more crafted here than the rawness of his earlier years, but it is inline with someone that has progressed past the metal box. I noticed that he used his neck pup very effectively in this video, and I think he tailored his sound around both pups giving him a good warm tone.

He sure looks like he is working his ass of. He had a lot of energy when he was young and he is now facing that head on. Vinnie on drums is essential to making this a great band. I hope they continue to honor Dio. The dude that started out singing dew-wop.

Still don't get it. Heavy processing, likely double tracked in post, not things I equate with top tier singers on a live video. I like the vocal, but just can't agree with the superlatives.

Just showed it to my wife, who's a much harsher judge:

"How did that guy ever get so famous? He's about as interesting as a bowl of milk."

She can be a pill. :-)

Still don't get it. Heavy processing, likely double tracked in post, not things I equate with top tier singers on a live video. I like the vocal, but just can't agree with the superlatives.

"How did that guy ever get so famous? He's about as interesting as a bowl of milk."

Imo, Ozzie is not a great vocalist techniques wise, but his strengths lie in phrasing/melodies and a infectious, usually in tune voice. He sings in maybe 2 Octaves, but I have yet to see anyone imitate him.....trying to sound like him. He has sold close to 100 million records, with revolving band mates, and never really sold out musically until very late in his music career.

You could compare him to a guitarist like The Edge, in that someone could knock him for minimalistic ways, but the depth of melodies and other esthetics are what stand out. With me it's always been about the quality of a note over the quantity, or either it sounds good or it doesn't, no need to analyze.

Since I started the Ozzie rant, anyone can post a rebuttal and have the last word, and I will let this get back on topic without responding.............as long as it's not a picture of a glass cock. B)

Who exactly is she talking about?

I'm an "I can say more with one note than you can say with a hundred" believer, but I don't think Ozzy's that guy, not even close. Admiration, respect and all that, but there you go.

What?!??!?

Strong pipes and hitting notes. Not to mention the distinctiveness of his sound. Come on! Are you serious that you never heard that associated with Ozzie? My conclusion is that Ozzie makes it sound too simple. Find me a Ozzie Cover band in the meantime, let's see how easy it is.

You do realize that is a dubbed vocal right?

What?!??!?

Was it processed? You would be deaf not to hear the stereo layer. Not sure if it is done with a live effect or later, but he's singing live, so what? He tapered this down during the next few years, but I like it.

Do you not see any greatness in the melodies that Ozzie puts on top of his music? If not, we just have different ears for music.

Just out of curiosity, what were your favorite bands growing up. Some influences.

Nice to see Vivian rocking again.

I saw a youtube video where he mentions that his string gauge is 13s or something like that.

Really good to see Vinnie on drums.

I always thought his drumming was huge contributor to the Dio sound.

Ozzie is not about this one video, so I respect your opinions and just beg to differ. Let's get back to the topic I disrupted. Vivian, one of my 3 favorite guitarist. Whom many people feel the same way some do about Ozzie. Art is subjective. And a forum is a bad place to accomplish your point of view.

Nice to see Vivian rocking again.

I saw a youtube video where he mentions that his string gauge is 13s or something like that.

Really good to see Vinnie on drums.

I always thought his drumming was huge contributor to the Dio sound.

Vinnie and Dio kind of meshed. I agree that having Vinnie here was extremely important, he has a very distinct dynamic style that is not easy to replicate.

Vinnie kind of has this tight and restrained style that produces clear dynamics. Great underrated drummer, or at least not mentioned as much as he should be as one of the better drummers.

My wife just said "oh, it sounds like the 80's....and not in a good way.... I agree with her..... A 5e3 tweed Deluxe would serve Viv much better....much better indeed.....

What?!??!?

Was it processed? You would be deaf not to hear the stereo layer. Not sure if it is done with a live effect or later, but he's singing live, so what? He tapered this down during the next few years, but I like it.

Do you not see any greatness in the melodies that Ozzie puts on top of his music? If not, we just have different ears for music.

Just out of curiosity, what were your favorite bands growing up. Some influences.

Someone here can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe the dub was done post-concert. It seems a relevant point to make as it appeared you were using that clip to underscore your point of Ozzy having strong pipes and hitting notes... There are several live Ozzy clips others have posted that demonstrate a much different result with regard to hitting notes and such. This isn't an indictment of Ozzy - I am a fan - Black Sabbath through Blizzard, Diary of a Madman, BATM...

My favorite bands varied growing up - Anything from Zeppelin, AC/DC, KISS, Van Halen to Earth Wind & Fire. Influences are WIDE ranging and include artists known more for songwriting (including my favorite bands) and others known more for instrumental work...

Archived