Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Viv Campbell KILLING some old Dio

What ever you want to call it, they went from great singers to good or very good, and who both went on to sell more records than the guitarist. With both Badlands and Riverdogs the singing was a major step down. I liked them both, but something psychological had me yearning for a better singer.

I think this is mainly a semantic argument at this point. To say Ozzy was a great singer and Ray Gillen was not seems backward to me.

I am not claiming fact, but my opinion. Ozzie is the perfect person when countering generic. His voice is clear, appealing, unique, and pitch perfect. I have yet to hear anyone that sounds like Ozzie, same with Jake and Viv, they all had distinctive style. So this is semantic, but I could probably find singers similar in tone and timbre to Gillen and few if any that sound like Ozzie. I guess you either love or hate Ozzie, but the dude has some pipes. has unique phrasing and melodies.and that perfect pitch sound is awesome. See how many Gillen singing melodies you have memorized vs Ozzie.

Just want to make clear that I believe both those guys are good, but not at the top tier level. Jake and Vivian's bands might have been more successful if they had not been in their prior bands.

What?!??!?

Ozzy? Pipes? Perfect pitch?

I'm not an Ozzy hater but I never thought I'd see those terms used to describe his singing!

Strong pipes and hitting notes. Not to mention the distinctiveness of his sound. Come on! Are you serious that you never heard that associated with Ozzie? My conclusion is that Ozzie makes it sound too simple. Find me a Ozzie Cover band in the meantime, let's see how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbwxGBh-AbE

You do realize that is a dubbed vocal right?

Was it processed? You would be deaf not to hear the stereo layer. Not sure if it is done with a live effect or later, but he's singing live, so what? He tapered this down during the next few years, but I like it.

Do you not see any greatness in the melodies that Ozzie puts on top of his music? If not, we just have different ears for music.

Just out of curiosity, what were your favorite bands growing up. Some influences.

Someone here can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe the dub was done post-concert. It seems a relevant point to make as it appeared you were using that clip to underscore your point of Ozzy having strong pipes and hitting notes... There are several live Ozzy clips others have posted that demonstrate a much different result with regard to hitting notes and such. This isn't an indictment of Ozzy - I am a fan - Black Sabbath through Blizzard, Diary of a Madman, BATM...

My favorite bands varied growing up - Anything from Zeppelin, AC/DC, KISS, Van Halen to Earth Wind & Fire. Influences are WIDE ranging and include artists known more for songwriting (including my favorite bands) and others known more for instrumental work...

Kiss, that figures and I don't debate talent with people that worshiped Kiss.

I've seen Ozzy live several times. I really liked his early solo stuff, but I never felt he was more than an average singer live. I'll add that's he a pretty weak excuse for a frontman.

Then again, I also enjoyed Kiss as a kid, so my opinion apparently counts for shit.

I obviously have different taste than Cynic because he always shows up when I am debating someone. :ph34r:

There is just as many or more anti Kiss comments in this board than Ozzie, or at least I would hope so.

Hear is some more lip syncing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNuIzw9VfU

I've seen Ozzy live several times. I really liked his early solo stuff, but I never felt he was more than an average singer live. I'll add that's he a pretty weak excuse for a frontman.

Then again, I also enjoyed Kiss as a kid, so my opinion apparently counts for shit.

It's not just about his singing voice, but inventive phrasing and melodies he has concocted through the decades. But yes, he has(d) strong pipes and sings spot on in tune, which is what was disputed, by a freaking Kiss fan! :rolleyes:

I have no other comment unless someone is directing it at me. We all have our opinions. it's like arguing over if tomatoes taste good. And please take my Kiss remarks with sarcasm, they are not my cup of tea, but I bought Kiss Alive, the solo albums and even owned the Kiss pinball machine....that I wish I still had. If I was born 10 years earlier, maybe I would have liked them more.

So in that light. I am pulling out.

weisse_flagge.jpg

I think Viv is a very underrated guitarist. Saw him on the Last In Line tour and was amazed.

As for Ozzie, I always kind of listened to him to hear his guitar players the guy could pick em... His voice meh

What ever you want to call it, they went from great singers to good or very good, and who both went on to sell more records than the guitarist. With both Badlands and Riverdogs the singing was a major step down. I liked them both, but something psychological had me yearning for a better singer.

I think this is mainly a semantic argument at this point. To say Ozzy was a great singer and Ray Gillen was not seems backward to me.

I am not claiming fact, but my opinion. Ozzie is the perfect person when countering generic. His voice is clear, appealing, unique, and pitch perfect. I have yet to hear anyone that sounds like Ozzie, same with Jake and Viv, they all had distinctive style. So this is semantic, but I could probably find singers similar in tone and timbre to Gillen and few if any that sound like Ozzie. I guess you either love or hate Ozzie, but the dude has some pipes. has unique phrasing and melodies.and that perfect pitch sound is awesome. See how many Gillen singing melodies you have memorized vs Ozzie.

Just want to make clear that I believe both those guys are good, but not at the top tier level. Jake and Vivian's bands might have been more successful if they had not been in their prior bands.

What?!??!?

I'm not an Ozzy hater but I never thought I'd see those terms used to describe his singing!

Strong pipes and hitting notes. Not to mention the distinctiveness of his sound. Come on! Are you serious that you never heard that associated with Ozzie? My conclusion is that Ozzie makes it sound too simple. Find me a Ozzie Cover band in the meantime, let's see how easy it is.

Was it processed? You would be deaf not to hear the stereo layer. Not sure if it is done with a live effect or later, but he's singing live, so what? He tapered this down during the next few years, but I like it.

Do you not see any greatness in the melodies that Ozzie puts on top of his music? If not, we just have different ears for music.

Just out of curiosity, what were your favorite bands growing up. Some influences.

Someone here can correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe the dub was done post-concert. It seems a relevant point to make as it appeared you were using that clip to underscore your point of Ozzy having strong pipes and hitting notes... There are several live Ozzy clips others have posted that demonstrate a much different result with regard to hitting notes and such. This isn't an indictment of Ozzy - I am a fan - Black Sabbath through Blizzard, Diary of a Madman, BATM...

My favorite bands varied growing up - Anything from Zeppelin, AC/DC, KISS, Van Halen to Earth Wind & Fire. Influences are WIDE ranging and include artists known more for songwriting (including my favorite bands) and others known more for instrumental work...

This isn't really much of a debate and I do not worship KISS or any other band for that matter...

What?!??!?

This isn't really much of a debate and I do not worship KISS or any other band for that matter...

Subjective and you have a picture of Kiss hanging in your bathroom right now.

Edit Add. Kiss is about the only pop metal band that you don't ever hear on the radio, not even classic rock radio.

Kiss is about the only pop metal band that you don't ever hear on the radio, not even classic rock radio. Style over substance has a lot to do with it.

If I am wrong, then I must have blanked them out, but you hear something from just about every commercial metal band except Kiss.

Did Kiss ever have a hit other than Beth?

Yes.10 Top 40 Singles:

Kiss is about the only pop metal band that you don't ever hear on the radio, not even classic rock radio. Style over substance has a lot to do with it.

If I am wrong, then I must have blanked them out, but you hear something from just about every commercial metal band except Kiss.

Yes.10 Top 40 Singles:

attachicon.gifKISSsingles.jpg

I edited the post, just to mean spirited.

Christina Aquilaria had songs on the chart a few years back that sounded like fingernails on a chalk board, you do not hear them anymore. That's what I am talking about. Style over substance lacks staying power. Sure they have their concert side, but the songs have always been very shallow imo. They are not a bands band.

Google "Kiss Sucks" if you get a chance. You will not see that many foul opinions on very many bands. Like I mentioned early, I have never met a good musician that was inspired by Kiss past the age of puberty. The gap between Kiss and Rush, the band I grew up as my favorite, is light and day with respect from their peers. And which musician's were inspired by Kiss? I would think more musicians were inspired by King Diamond, whom Gene sued and made change his makeup design, over Kiss. And they are from Viking land.

And which musician's were inspired by Kiss?

"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and Garth Brooks, for starters. I would wager thousands were inspired by KISS to take up music.

I would think more musicians were inspired by King Diamond, whom Gene sued and made change his makeup design, over Kiss. And they are from Viking land.

Highly specious, but I was certainly floored by Merciful Fate/KD. Hank Sherman is the man. Being from Denmark is something they had no control over, unfortunately.

And which musician's were inspired by Kiss?

"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and Garth Brooks, for starters. I would wager thousands were inspired by KISS to take up music.

I would think more musicians were inspired by King Diamond, whom Gene sued and made change his makeup design, over Kiss. And they are from Viking land.

Highly specious, but I was certainly floored by Merciful Fate/KD. Hank Sherman is the man. Being from Denmark is something they had no control over, unfortunately.

Kind Diamond's music stood out like a sore thumb. The first time I heard them was on Head bangers ball and I had the cassette the next day. Then backtracked back to Merciful Fate. I like that they are from Denmark, and the whole Viking lore. The folks who actually discovered America a couple of centuries before Columbus but the group died out.

I would compliment him on his pipes and pitch, but probably not a good idea with the people following this thread.

Damn thread following people.

And damn quick I might add, 3 minutes from post to post.

Let's get back to Dio and Viv. Kiss is just a love or hate band, wasn't aware til now that it is the same with Ozzie. Maybe Sharon is the link between the two, she's Gene's type, cosmetic surgery and all.

Damn thread following people.

And damn quick I might add, 3 minutes from post to post.

I'm bored at work. Is that OK?

The net is great for a slow workday.

I am trying to play Detroit Rock City Right from memory now for the heck of it. The A to open g thing then E to F then G is a pretty cool riff. Or is it B and A then to G. I think the song changes pitch later or something. They both sound right. na na na na na na na na na dom dom.......dom dom....

Yes.10 Top 40 Singles:

Like I mentioned early, I have never met a good musician that was inspired by Kiss past the age of puberty.

I know a few KISS-inspired musicians on this board who would likely shred your nuts of with their playing; that's good enough for me... B)

Yes.10 Top 40 Singles:

Like I mentioned early, I have never met a good musician that was inspired by Kiss past the age of puberty.

I know a few KISS-inspired musicians on this board who would likely shred your nuts of with their playing; that's good enough for me... B)

Just not you, your big brother. :rolleyes:

i have tried to get the subject back on course, let's do it. It's all opinion on art, which can be subjective, so let's get back to Viv. Truce?

Yes.10 Top 40 Singles:

Edited to say: It's not even worth it... :mellow:

Yes.10 Top 40 Singles:

That's because I charge for my guitar lessons... ;)

bill-hader-eating-popcorn-smiling-snl.gi

Back to Viv: I think he looks cooler without hair. Say what you want, but baldness rules! :lol:

Now more seriously: is it me, or his solos sound a bit slower now? As far as I remember, I was amazed by Viv's speed when I first listened to his solos back in those days. I even had a video of him (Hot Licks or something) I found impossible to follow at the time -I must have it somewhere. On this new footage what he plays doesn't look too superhuman to me, although of course it's still great. Anyway, is it me who has evolved, or has Viv slowed down... or both? I guess I need to undust the first two Dio albums to check them out by myself.

Back to Viv: I think he looks cooler without hair. Say what you want, but baldness rules! :lol:

Now more seriously: is it me, or his solos sound a bit slower now? As far as I remember, I was amazed by Viv's speed when I first listened to his solos back in those days. I even had a video of him (Hot Licks or something) I found impossible to follow at the time -I must have it somewhere. On this new footage what he plays doesn't look too superhuman to me, although of course it's still great. Anyway, is it me who has evolved, or has Viv slowed down... or both? I guess I need to undust the first two Dio albums to check them out by myself.

I agree that he looks good with short hair, intelligent. He was so fast with Dio that I would think it would be very hard at his age to obtain that adrenaline laced speed. I can actually see what he's doing now, which isn't overly complicated, it was just ungodly fast and tasteful. He seems stronger with his left hand than right, I remember Viv doing long runs up the neck without even picking. It is a treat seeing him together with Vinnie, they pretty much set the tone, and I believe Vinnie Appice was invaluable to Dio after they established the classic Dio groove.

If I could have two more metal albums it would have been Viv with Dio and Ozzie with Jake E. Lee. Maybe George with Dokken running close.

Archived