Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Viv Campbell KILLING some old Dio

I might have missed this somewhere in the thread, but apparently that is the same Les Paul he used back in the early Dio days. Band sounds great and I had no idea Phil Simms could play bass like that!

Seems like they recorded a European and USA concerts for VHS in 84-85. They only released the USA version in the states. The European concert seemed to be at the beginning of the tour and the Spectrum concert later. I didn't get to see the Euro concert until a couple of years ago, and it looks like Viv was playing that same Les Paul.

Dio sounded better in the Euro concert, but Viv was better in the USA, which I attribute to the moths of touring in between. He was on fire in Phil and playing the famous one pup white Charvel........with Whammy.

Sounds really good - there for a minute I thought that was Brooks on the guitar...

huh? what, the short hair? wish i was that tall & skinny. and talented.

i love the sound of the early dio albums, very crisp.

viv never shined like he did on those records. def lep?!?

ozzy era sabs is my all time fave music; ozzy w/ randy, dio era sabs, and the early dio band is also way up there. ozzy is indeed super distinct in his voice quality, phrasing, and melodies; that is why he is so iconic & successful.

ozzy is NOT pitch perfect, just listen to "warning" off the 1st sabs album, or any bootlegs/untouched live vids.

vinny appice is a fantastic drummer because of his huge relaxed backbeat, it smooths out the feel and is super unusual in metal.

I have yet to hear anyone that sounds like Ozzie

there's a few newer bands that are heavily sabs influenced to the point of being like a tribute band w/ original tunes;

Sounds really good - there for a minute I thought that was Brooks on the guitar...

huh? what, the short hair? wish i was that tall & skinny. and talented.

i love the sound of the early dio albums, very crisp.

viv never shined like he did on those records. def lep?!?

ozzy era sabs is my all time fave music; ozzy w/ randy, dio era sabs, and the early dio band is also way up there. ozzy is indeed super distinct in his voice quality, phrasing, and melodies; that is why he is so iconic & successful.

ozzy is NOT pitch perfect, just listen to "warning" off the 1st sabs album, or any bootlegs/untouched live vids.

vinny appice is a fantastic drummer because of his huge relaxed backbeat, it smooths out the feel and is super unusual in metal.

I kind of over played my hand with the pitch perfect, and repeatedly narrowed his true talents to phrasing, melodies and distinction, but that was also disputed. Ozzie does a good job of hitting notes, but they are usually not complicated. And yes, he was pitchy with Sabath, but it actually enhanced it imo. Imperfection makes music organic, which is why I dislike the ability to perfect everything these days. But I am gald that someone else see's Ozzie's unique and great intangibles. No matter what musical arrangement he sang to, his contribution's to the final work was at top tier level vs.his peers.

Ozzy is unique. Say what you want, but the guy is very charismatic and nobody sounds like him.

Back to Viv again: for some reason I overlooked the fact he also played in "Sacred Heart". I wonder if I ever listened to that album because I cannot remember a single song from it. Was it bad? Need to do my homework with that one.

Back to Viv again: for some reason I overlooked the fact he also played in "Sacred Heart". I wonder if I ever listened to that album because I cannot remember a single song from it. Was it bad? Need to do my homework with that one.

On the contrary, Sacred Heart is awesome.

Back in the day it sounded a little cheesy with all the thrash bands coming up but I love Sacred Heart. Great songs and musicianship. The titletrack alone is worth it.

Ozzy is unique. Say what you want, but the guy is very charismatic and nobody sounds like him.

Rock n' Roll Children, which you know is a staple came from that along with a few other songs that sound like mid tier from the 1st two. Dio said that Viv had already mentally checked out while making it. It was well written,and I bought and liked it, but Viv seemed to have less energy.

Is Evil Eyes on the next album? If so, Ronnie came back strong, but i never got over the departure of Viv.

i found a cheap compilation at the quicky mart called DIO - METAL HITS, it filled in some of the blanks after the 1st 2 albums;

61RLddYs0IL.jpg

1. Rainbow In The Dark 2. Holy Diver 3. Night People 4. The Last In Line 5. Evil Eyes 6. Sunset Superman 7. Dream Evil 8. Hollywood Black 9. Wild One 10. Evilution

Great tip above. Dio is one of those rarities, like Peter Steel, both RIP, where their approval rating is around 99%. Blabbermouth for instance, if they are the subject, all the posts are positive.

I just found the Riverdogs record on Spotify, which I had never heard before. I was pleasantly surprised-I guess I expected it to sound a little dated (the drums kind of do) but the writing isn't bad, Viv sounds great and the singer's voice is super cool. It kind of makes sense hearing that and knowing where he was in his career (between Whitesnake and DL).

I just found the Riverdogs record on Spotify, which I had never heard before.

Well, I think only about 100 of us bought the Riverdogs album(I had it on cassette). Not a bad record, and yeah, the songwriting was pretty good. It certainly was a switch for him (after Whitesnake), but I preferred RD over WS anyway :)

Archived