Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Introducing Shishkov Guitars, USA

cmatthes

I think it's already off to a fantastic start... couldn't have gone any better really.

Bad ass way to launch a new business in a shaky economy.

Am I right to assume that Mike's price point and way of manufacturing will be significantly different than Jol's where they can co-exist without head to head competition?

Dantzig guitars... Shishkov guitars... this is getting really good!

Completely different concepts, Geoff.

Both are great, both have business models that appeal to particular audiences, and each responds to a particular niche. I don't see any sort of conflict, and in fact, I imagine that each wants nothing more than to see the other succeed.

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl over this. I put a request in for the Ultimate model as well as another custom order. I suspect i will be selling off a number of my lesser played (but very loved) guitars in the near future...

The fact the Mike has got such a strong response is an incredible sign - whether i'm included in the original 12 or not (and i sure hope i am!)

Edit to add: I sure would love to do a Dantzig CO in the future as well, but not in my price range at the moment...

Completely different concepts, Geoff.

Both are great, both have business models that appeal to particular audiences, and each responds to a particular niche. I don't see any sort of conflict, and in fact, I imagine that each wants nothing more than to see the other succeed.

I can't wait for the Premiere Guitar issue where they both get profiled and interviewed together... that would be really cool.

Bro's book... Mike's new business... the demise of Hamer doesn't seem to be a setback in any shape or form.

I think if everybody keeps doing their part, the Hamer legacy will be secure. We are already seeing a revival and it looks like it's just gathering steam,

I also got the acknowledgment email from Ted. I was hoping it meant that I was in the special order window, since I put my form in fairly early in the morning (Central time) but now I don't know. I responded saying no worries, I wasn't in a rush, which was a lie, but I really am happy there was such an enthusiastic response, and I will TRY to be patient while the cats are herded and I find out where I stand with respect to the line for the offer. Exciting times! If not now, then definitely later.

These are good problems to have, Mike!

The whole idea of this run was to offer a highly desirable yet somewhat basic guitar platform with a limited number of options to afford Mike the ability to get production up and running without going in fifty different directions for this design or that (see the ping-pong match that was the 'Workingman's Guitar' thread!).

I simply don't understand why some can't grasp that.

And we wonder why we can't have nice things.

Well, I guess everyone can understand this:

Case 1: The Ultimate is a limited run with fixed specs at a friendly price tag in order to get Mike's business going. Color choices and minor hardware changes are tolerated, but those guitars aren't custom orders There are just 12 slots for that one.

Case 2: If you want something else, even if it's still Standard-shaped (which by the way is not my case, as you might have already guessed), then you're placing a regular custom order, at Mike's regular price and with all the advantages and disadvantages that kind of order implies.

Doesn't look very hard to grasp.

PS: My quote is for a guitar of the Case 2-type above.

Couldn't have said it better.

And pretty simple to understand.

I just had an artistic idea pop into my head - can a "boomer be reworked into an "S" while maintaining the lines of the lower portion? I wonder if that would be legal. I wish I had photoshop….

As far as the rest of this goes, I think it's a fantastic idea. I wish Mike all the best of success. I'll have to sit out this round, but maybe someday……. :)

I got in soon enough to probably get one unless they sold out in the first 3 hours but not being a guitar player I asked if one could be a short scale bass. I just used the contact link and didn't use the order form because I knew what the answer would be. I did it just in case 12 didn't buy in.

I should have known that there were plenty here willing to lay out the cash with it being such a good deal. I'm glad they went so quick and hope Mike the best with his new guitar company.

I still want the first short scale bass he builds.

Mike is spending some quality time with his family this weekend, but the contact emails will be going out as soon as he and his wife are back and able to get those out to everybody.

Although the initial list was filled almost immediately, there will likely be some withdrawals or bumps, as there usually are when it is time to pony up deposit money.

Requests that vary from the basic spec may or may not make the cut - while most requests have been very reasonable, there are some things Mike can't/won't be able to do (Hamer logos, boomerang or insane inlay work, nutty graphic finishes...).

For the dude who wanted the doubleneck Scepter in "Wonderbread White with Primary Color Polka-dots", and the many faces of Emmett Kelley, Jr. inlayed in the fretboard...uh, sorry. Not happening!

For the dude who wanted the doubleneck Scepter in "Wonderbread White with Primary Color Polka-dots", and the many faces of Emmett Kelley, Jr. inlayed in the fretboard...uh, sorry. Not happening!

That's some funny stuff right ther. And makes the things I asked for seem more reasonable...

That's some funny stuff right ther. And makes the things I asked for seem more reasonable...

But if Rick Nielsen wants it... Oh, wait, different guitar company.

Too obvious?

OMG. Do you guys have any idea how stoked I am about making this list????? I said it before and it is literally a dream come true.....I haven't had an Explorer shaped guitar since I sold my '76 Reissue in 1984 to buy a car..,please don't ask what car....I have wanted one ever since . And now it shall become a reality. Lord willing. Did I say I was excited?

Rats. I saw the initial website ad but was warned off of it and was told that it was just a "placeholder" or a tryout website. I was reaching for my wallet nonetheless. I'm a little steamed at being told it was not the real thing back then. Grrrf.

I just had an artistic idea pop into my head - can a "boomer be reworked into an "S" while maintaining the lines of the lower portion? I wonder if that would be legal. I wish I had photoshop….

Like so?

sboomers_zpsf82323db.jpg

That looks like something from my kids' tangrams set. But in a goodish way?

Mike - Have you considered adding ROWYCO finish options that include cross-shipping it to Stike?

If you deadbeats don't botch your deposits like I'm hoping, I'm gonna order the sparklingest neo-Standard I can get. ;)

Like so?

sboomers_zpsf82323db.jpg

Yes, exactly so!

You're making that up right? :unsure:

Rats. I saw the initial website ad but was warned off of it and was told that it was just a "placeholder" or a tryout website. I was reaching for my wallet nonetheless. I'm a little steamed at being told it was not the real thing back then. Grrrf.

What you saw was not the actual site (different web address, drafts of everything) and was several days before the actual launch. That was the beta test site that was not for public consumption.

It was not the real thing at that point and Ted, Chris, Mike and I spent a good bit of time tweaking it and altering content from there.

I'm giddy as a schoolgirl over this. I put a request in for the Ultimate model as well as another custom order. I suspect i will be selling off a number of my lesser played (but very loved) guitars in the near future...

I'm saving my pennies for the purge.

Congrats Mike, and all the best on the adventure. Working Man's Custom Guitar Shop, indeed!

Archived