Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Introducing Shishkov Guitars, USA

cmatthes

I must be stupid or something. Can you believe I hadn't got what ' "Vintage 4-D" Style Headstock' was? I even Googled for it and found nothing. The funniest thing is that now I own Kev's 4-D, so I should've known. In short, I'm definitively dumb! :lol:

Congratulations to the guys who got the first run. That is an awesome deal. Good luck to Shishkov I hope his business works out well.

Question, since he is only one guy, any idea on how long the current 20 guitars or so he has on order are going to take? Is he going to be hiring some folks to help him now that he has a bunch of orders?

He's a MACHINE!!!

Machine or not- he's only one and that's a lotta guitars. :blink:

I'll be putting in for my custom order Standard, er... Ultimate... soon but won't be expecting it any time within the next 2 years. ;)

As giddy as I got when I saw the news, I was damned glad it was for something I wasn't burning up to have. If this kind of deal had popped up for a Watson, or something like a B4M (that would match my B12M) I think I'd have jumped and just figured out how to explain it to my wife later down the road....I'm really glad so many people have lined up with the moolah to make it happen! :)

Same here. I'm a single/double cut guy, and have been jonesing for a Electroglide-ish guitar for a looong time. Only like the Hamer hockey headstock, so never thought it possible before.

Does anyone know if he's going to do archtops, or all flatops?

I'm in for the special run. '50s Burst, bound and crowned (including headstock), and ebony board. Slightly non-traditional, but it's what I like, and it's my guitar!

There is a Natural finish one on the mainpage at the band website.

That used to be blue I believe. Faded way out. I have pics of it where it's a bit aqua-looking.

I'll be putting in for my custom order Standard, er... Ultimate... soon but won't be expecting it any time within the next 2 years. ;)

He's thinking the original run will be done in 4-6 months. Considering a big part of that time will be wood setup, I'd guess he'd be starting other orders while those were working.

He's thinking the original run will be done in 4-6 months. Considering a big part of that time will be wood setup, I'd guess he'd be starting other orders while those were working.

The second batch is still under a year. That's ambitious.

... But to be frank, it's really cool having some extra time to make my mind about the finish and the materials. I'm actually almost there! ;)

That's what I learned from my previous custom orders and let me to step out from the Ultimate run. There is nothing worth than a missed out option/feature on a custom order if you want it to become a keeper, very personal guitar.

We're all used to the long wait times for C/O Hamers but iirc the custom shop was pretty much run around other business.

There was no-one working full time on the custom builds hence the long waits.

Not sure how much time Mike is expecting/planning for each guitar to take but my guess is around 1 week (excluding drying times).

Is this a reasonable estimate or am I talking horseshit again ??

This is one of the biggest reasons to stick to a run of a single type of guitar, just with different options. Even when it's a one-man operation, there's a big jump in effeciency when you can work on multiple versions of the same model. There's a reason most assembly lines build a single model, and when that run is done, they switch to a different model, rather than doing one model, then a different model, then the first model again, then a third. This is a really smart way for Mike to be able to kickstart his operation without getting buried under all sorts of wildly different guitars right off the bat.

Exactly. That's why anything that deviated from the basic platform too far was pushed to later or as a "custom" basis. There is an enormous amount of time required for any scratch build v. a repeatable design, so I'd expect that Mike will have to prioritize based on this as well.

Guest gearwhore

My buddy has a CNC in his house. Not a big deal anymore (depending on the size). He's got a pick and place soldering robot station too.

doesnt everyone have these now a days?? they are getting really cheap,for the ones that use a laptop to control it.

not sure where the reply went from bubs,

but to reply

mine mill/lathe has sat more years than I can count..because not having a 460v connection for years until last august...machine runs fine and is accurate as ever.. my good friend Bill has a machine shop and runs his every day and has not had an issue or break down in decades and he is even worse with maintenance case in point he buys brand new trucks puts 250,000 miles on them in 2 or 3 years and only changes the oil when trades it in,saves $10,000+ that way and in 30 years never had a break down..I am firm believer in use/abuse it until you cant...with everything but my Cub...yes airplanes need regular love if you use it, but when I do (hasnt been in day light in 8yrs) that is why I have good scotch around and a neighbor that is a A-1 aircraft mechanic,...most say the same for big boats...but my atomic 4 has not even had plugs changed in 13 yrs, :blink: if I wasted all kinds of money on unneeded maintenance, I wouldn't have 10k to drop on guitars in a month or two. ^_^

if in aint broke dont fix it-drive it til the wheels fall off-ride it like you stole it-if at first you succeed try try again. words to live by

Archived