Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Introducing Shishkov Guitars, USA

cmatthes

2nd run here too. Keeping it simple to the ultimate specs. Tobacco burst. Now to wait the 9 months or so. Like a whole other baby. Can't wait for the first "ultrasound" shots.

Been revisiting my color choice.

I really like the Bubsburst / 0017-burst idea, but if were to ever get a Les Paul, I'd want it to be darkburst and that would be redundant.

I suppose there's still some time to ponder... checking out the Standard Appreciation thread (again).

Been revisiting my color choice.

I really like the Bubsburst / 0017-burst idea, but if were to ever get a Les Paul, I'd want it to be darkburst and that would be redundant.

I suppose there's still some time to ponder... checking out the Standard Appreciation thread (again).

The only thing that you need to worry about is what color DO YOU WANT! Being redundant has no place here. I could have racked by brain for hours and hours trying to work the options to make it unique but stay in the lines. Best thing that happened for me was I thought I missed out, rush the form and went with my gut. When Mike sent me the reply, I was happy with my choices.

Out of the Standard Appreciation Thread, these really stood out for me:

This is the one that has me considering vintage natural - I love the orangey warmth!

103_1658.jpg

This is like a burst that isn't a burst. The color is fairly uniform until you get to the very edges. I really like the warmth and depth of color with just a bit of a frame around the binding.

4b7152aa.jpg

The Zandards have an incredible warmth to them.

s7300005.jpg

The only four-digit I've ever held, I like how this one is likewise framed around the edges. Beautiful guitar!

031-2.jpg

But here's the one that pushing me back to the Bubsburst / 0017-burst choice. That's just an incredibly choice choice!

StandardBass_SN0639AmberLg.jpg

Perusing the SAT was incredibly exciting! Really looking forward to getting into this build!

ETA: I don't think my Les Paul fixation will be fulfilled any time soon - it shouldn't bear at all on this decision (but wasn't revisiting the SAT and posting all these pics fun?).

Aaaaaand my deposit is in for the initial run of 12. Honestly my preference if I'd ever had the scratch for a Hamer c/o Standard would have been old-school headstock, natural finish and dots... a Zandard in other words...so this wasn't a real tough call for me.

Now to sell a few others to finance this.

I'm happy Mike's business is off to a ROUSING start, but I wonder if part of him is saying:

" HOLY F*CK! What did I just get myself into? I had no idea there would be this much interest!"

Regardless, what a great problem to have when starting a new business. :)

The only major stumbling block I see is in the name (great name!), as there is another guy at FMIC with the same last name... and he's a great builder too!!! How can that be? Is Shishkov Russian for Smith?

They are brothers.

I'm happy Mike's business is off to a ROUSING start, but I wonder if part of him saying:

" HOLY F*CK! What did I just get myself into? I had no idea there would be this much interest!"

Regardless, what a great problem to have when starting a new business. :)

We all need to ensure there's no let up for him, spread the word to everyone worldwide.

Shiskov guitars got any endorsees yet?

Anyone know anybody in the Guitar publication business so we can get some publicity?

Surely (I know, I know, don't call me surely) Rick needs a new 6 neck and a spare ?

Has there been any thought towards a price list? It might reduce some of the "I have no intention of pursuing this, but I'm curious what it would cost" quotes from being submitted.

Yes. There is a draft form of that, which will be tweaked as final cost figures come in from suppliers, etc.

The initial Custom Order page was more of a placeholder, not a specific, all-inclusive listing. Mike will have that all locked down well before things truly open up for other orders.

Update from the Shishkov Shop:

Been a busy week. Paperwork and more paperwork. Mahogany blanks coming out of the kiln next week. Maple tops on order. Supplier of the maple has stuff that blows my mind.

Thank you for all of your support!

Awesome!!!!!!

Update from the Shishkov Shop:

Been a busy week. Paperwork and more paperwork. Mahogany blanks coming out of the kiln next week. Maple tops on order. Supplier of the maple has stuff that blows my mind.

Thank you for all of your support!

Was having a crappy day.

Emphasis on the word 'WAS'!

I am so happy to see this venture for a great guy get off to a rousing start!

Goodness knows I love em, but old injury prevents me from playing ultimates near the nut.

I look forward to when he comes up for air and can think about double cut, or some shiskov-unique variation! FB variation, or something inspired by Robin Fleetwood would be cool. Very playable for guys like me.

More details will be forthcoming. A little patience will go a long way. Keep in mind that he is still finalizing a lot of things right now, including the setup of his shop.

It would probably be better to keep the speculation down here for many reasons.

Sometimes it is better to sit back and watch the artist create...

Goodness knows I love em, but old injury prevents me from playing ultimates near the nut.

Maybe strap the guitar higher? Or did you mean near this nut?

goodnut.JPG

Happy to hear the good news, Mike!

That nut. It's my left wrist. Single notes are ok, but chording up there kills me.

Yeah, it's just the most I have ever spent on a guitar, especially when not knowing anything about it except the builder is talented :) I'm not worried, but it'd be a bummer if I didn't enjoy playing it, despite it being beautifully made.

More details will be forthcoming. A little patience will go a long way. Keep in mind that he is still finalizing a lot of things right now, including the setup of his shop.

It would probably be better to keep the speculation down here for many reasons.

Sometimes it is better to sit back and watch the artist create...

Yep, having never placed a custom order with Hamer or anyone else, I have a thousand questions about a thousand different things. At this point I'm thinking it more expedient to allow him the space to get tooling / materials in order in peace rather than have to stop those processes and answer my questions.

The other side of it is, if he were to stop and answer those questions prior establishment of the provisional groundwork, any answers would be pure speculation ("I hope to offer").

I'm trusting he will contact me when it is time to start my build and then we can wrangle out neck carves, color, pickups, etc. among a group of choices he can (having established process) concretely offer.

+1 on being an apprentice. I prefer working on them to playing them (incidentally, that is the preference for me of those around me, as well). :mellow:

Archived