Hamer Fan Club Message Center

All Time Stoopid Question

In spec-ing out my Shishkov Ultimate (Standard :ph34r: ) custom (hopefully to be ordered/delivered before I become too old to play it worth a damn) I was stopped dead in my tracks trying to choose between a 59 burst for the perfunctory nod to history and nostalgia or the green burst because, well, fuck it, I dig green.

What to do.

I know. It will ultimately come down to my decision but I'm curious- what would you order of the two and why?

Get whichever one you won't refinish in a day glo '80s graphic.

Tough choice.

At the moment I'm on the hook for a '59 burst, but I change my mind between that and many others daily. A green burst sounds awfully cool, as does a tobacco burst, and a kelleher burst, and every other one (other than clown burst) I've seen.

Love them all.

I believe the original intent for limiting the finish options was to keep the costs down by "batch finishing" in as few colors as possible. By changing to non-standard finishes, you'll probably get a finish upcharge because of the additional costs involved in getting that done. If everybody ordered a different finish, the entry price becomes less and less do-able.

I believe the original intent for limiting the finish options was to keep the costs down by "batch finishing" in as few colors as possible. By changing to non-standard finishes, you'll probably get a finish upcharge because of the additional costs involved in getting that done. If everybody ordered a different finish, the entry price becomes less and less do-able.

Yep. Makes the decision a whole lot easier. Not to ruffle any feathers, but for this initial run, anyone who orders outside of those original specs should probably be subject to the regular pricing (as yet to be fully determined). Its all about volume with minor variables to make it possible as such a fantastic price point.

Basically echoing what you said Chris. Think we need more echos, as the message continues to get lost, apparently.

The '59 is color more people are used to. If you should ever sell or trade your Shiskov it will be easier with a '59 burst. As Chris and Sugartune have said, part of the pricing is the same color for everyone. Having to mix/spray/clean up for a different finish costs more time.

If you know you are going to keep the guitar forever, pay an upcharge and go with the green and let it be an extension of your personality. The Shiskov is not going to be like your shredders, so is it what you really want to play all the time or just occasionally?

I'm still trying to figure out what color, but in keeping with the original proposal, have limited my choices to those offered. I'm torn between a dark sunburst (aka Bubsburst) and vintage natural. I posted pics of some beautiful specimens found in the Standard Appreciation Thread... oh, here they are:

This is the one that has me considering vintage natural - I love the orangey warmth!

103_1658.jpg

This is like a burst that isn't a burst. The color is fairly uniform until you get to the very edges. I really like the warmth and depth of color with just a bit of a frame around the binding.

4b7152aa.jpg

The Zandards have an incredible warmth to them.

s7300005.jpg

The only four-digit I've ever held, I like how this one is likewise framed around the edges. Beautiful guitar!

031-2.jpg

But here's the one that pushing me back to the Bubsburst / 0017-burst choice. That's just an incredibly choice choice!

StandardBass_SN0639AmberLg.jpg

Forgive me for the re-post, but I just love to look at these guitars!

My preference above all others would be to drop the vintage and keep it au naturale. Not a huge fan of the yellow/orange "vintage" thing. For my taste, this is one area Gibson is nailing with the look of their benchmark explorers.

That said, I'd take vintage natural (and any other option) over '59 burst.

Chris- this would not be a part of the 1st and/or 2nd runs. This is a custom order to be done after those two are completed and delivered. Not worried about discounts or batch-ing. If I go with a Shishkov, it's gonna be custom all the way; from scale size, to features, to the finish. No point in doing it if I can't do it my way...

Go for green sunburst, so I could buy it from you later on.

Dibs!

Chris- this would not be a part of the 1st and/or 2nd runs. This is a custom order to be done after those two are completed and delivered. Not worried about discounts or batch-ing. If I go with a Shishkov, it's gonna be custom all the way; from scale size, to features, to the finish. No point in doing it if I can't do it my way...

Perhaps a reverse 4-digit headstock?

Given your past finish choices, split it right down the bookmatch line: 1/2 greenburst and 1/2 '59 burst.

That way it'll be yours forever.

Also, if I may return to the title itself a moment, I think you are selling yourself short.

I think you are fully capable of coming up with even stoopider questions in the future.

Archived