Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Getting old!!

I stopped listening to music on the radio long ago. If I didn't have children (daughter 23 and son 18), I'd never hear anything new. Being 52, I mostly just buy new stuff from bands and guitar players I've been listening to since the early nineties. Anything new I can steal from the kids!

Same here.

I've focused more on guitarists than bands (exploring genres outside the usual rock and roll stuff), and worked my way backwards through some old blues. Raw old blues is far more interesting than the pasteurized cookie cutter music(?) allowed on the airwaves these days.

I didn't listen to the radio for years and years, mostly because there were no stations that played what I wanted. I just stumbled into my 40s, but I listen to the radio now more than I did during my 30s. We have a local independent radio station that I dig (some of their stuff is a bit too hipster for me, but different DJs pick different stuff). It also helped that in my mid-30s I went from hating country to giving it a chance. That opened up a lot of new stuff for me.

Before I left Colorado, my guitar jam buddies kept introducing stuff to me that I'd never heard (being a good 10+ years younger than them), and I was pretty open to anything.

For me, "new" meant "new to me", so I found myself going backwards in time and discovering stuff from the 1920s-early 50s blues, country/western, jazz, big band, etc.

So while I'm open to new things which I was never into previously, it turns out I prefer to discover the roots of modern music rather than modern music itself.

In my 20's and 30's all that old music was collected and consumed. It was possible to listen to Megadeth one day and Woody Herman the next. Keely Smith is better than Lita Ford. Les Paul was cool long before Jimi Hendrix.

To answer the OP's question, I quit actively listening to new bands in the 90s when Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots faded and the pop shyte took over America,,, it had nothing to do with me getting older B)

+1! I don't know if you blame everybody else for changing everything around over the years and turning music into crap, but I sure do. :rolleyes::P:lol:

Edited to add: My message to youth: Get off my lawn! :lol:

The 80's hair metal thing never really did much for me

Agreed. I moved to L.A. County in '87 and the hair bands and hair metal was in full swing. It made for decent background music or whatever, but was never a style I could strap the headphones on and get lost in.

the newest metal band i really dig is mastodon, and they are 10-15 or so years old...

most of my fave jazz & fusion stuff is somewhat newer;

aristocrats, wayne krantz, bad plus, medeski scofield martin wood.

The 80's hair metal thing never really did much for me

Agreed. I moved to L.A. County in '87 and the hair bands and hair metal was in full swing. It made for decent background music or whatever, but was never a style I could strap the headphones on and get lost in.

Yeah I hate that Hair Metal, but loved the earlier La or Glam Metal that had little to do with hair and more about catchy tunes and chops.

I agree with anyone who rightly criticizes what it became, which had a lot to do with the proximity of the record labels imo, but not the first wave. Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken and many others were some of the most melodic metal out there pre 86. I loved that whole sound around 84. It was pop metal, and it got out of hand unfortunately. But some of the best metal guitarist came out of that area, and the early productions were great. Invasion of your Privacy is a good example from Bue Hill.

The suits tried to milk it and it became an embarrassment. The term Hair Metal was a derogatory label, but the bands have embarrassed it as long as it gives them some press.

One of the biggest draws around here is an '80s throwback band. These are guys now in their mid-50s+, still with hair down to there and period-correct garb, playing the same set lists they did when the songs were new. They're pretty good (by now they should be), and they pull in big crowds of appreciative fans, but I thought my wife was gonna die laughing at the constant hair flips. It's amusing from elderly gentlemen.

One of the biggest draws around here is an '80s throwback band. These are guys now in their mid-50s+, still with hair down to there and period-correct garb, playing the same set lists they did when the songs were new. They're pretty good (by now they should be), and they pull in big crowds of appreciative fans, but I thought my wife was gonna die laughing at the constant hair flips. It's amusing from elderly gentlemen.

This is what we do sans the hair and tight clothes! Seventies and eighties stuff mostly. We played the songs when they were new. They're "Classic Rock" now. Soon to be oldies. Anything "new" we learn is from the same era.

There seems to be a decent sized group of metal heads in the mid 40's to early to mid 50's. I have just about dropped out of keeping up with things, but I can nearly age someone within 2 years by their influences around those years. For instance my brother is 2 1/2 years older but was 14 in 1978 to my 81. So he absorbed more of the 70's Hard Rock/Metal than I did. He absorbed more pre Van Halen bands like Aerosmith, Black Sabath, Zepplin the Who etc. So he was into to these alums new, when I fit them in with the knew stuff of the early 80's.

I am light years away from the awareness of music, especially how it effects the musicianship of just 2 1/2 years. Today I can blink my eyes and 3 years are gone!

Back then Music was indeed the soundtrack of my life. Not I listen and write from memory of those years.

Archived