• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are two

The MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

The Chamber Brothers - Time Has Come Today

The Vapors

Turning Japanese

Folks he may not post often but when he does it's worthy. 55 posts, how the hell is that possible for such a great contributor?

Hamerica

HFCers,

Great thread. It seems to me you could create a viable tribute band doing one hit wonders. Sort of an oxymoron I know, but I think audiences would love it - if they got it?

I’ll offer up Come on Eileen. Not my favorite probably, but a classic one hitter.

The Vapors

Turning Japanese

Great song, one among many on their two albums. "New Clear Days" is top notch all the way through, and "Magnets" has some good stuff too, including the catchiest song about a mass suicide ever.

I love one hit wonders, so it is hard to choose just one, but for me it has to be "Girl of My Dreams" by Bram Tchaikovsky (followed quickly by "Shake Some Action" by the Flaming Groovies, "Starry Eyes" by the Records, and "Places that are Gone" by Tommy Keene.)

Behold the creepiest video of all time:

Oh shit! Didn't see that zen posted the Mardones clip already lol.

Man, I had to look up how old that creepy dude was when that song came out: 34!!! Damn right, I'd tell you to leave the 16 year old alone!! :wacko:

My first rock concert (with Hunters & Collectors): Midnight Oil - Beds are burning...maybe they had hits in other markets, but this is their only song I remember in the states!

Here a +1 for the first example or maybe "Turning Japanese" or maybe "Kick Out the Jams", too. Lotta folks don't know that the guitar on "Hot Smoke and Sassafras" was a ES-335 thru a Kustom tuck and roll amp.

I’ll offer up Come on Eileen. Not my favorite probably, but a classic one hitter.

One hitter? Not hardly. They've enjoyed massive success since changing their name to Arcade Fire.

Can't post links at work, but..... While cleaning out after Hurricaine Sandy, I found these on a mix tape

The A's - A womans got the power

Tom Tom Club - genius of love

Alison Moyet - Invisible

The Marmalade - Reflections of my life

T'Pau - Heart and soul

someday someway Marshall Crenshaw

Fun thread. Love the Sniff'n the Tears Driver's seat.

Trying to add content...

Screaming Blue Messiahs

and, of course, My Sharona

Fahrenheit:

...and one that never fails to get me to crank it. Gary Numan, Cars.

http://youtu.be/Ldyx3KHOFXw

...and another from that early 80s, Modern English's Melt with You.

Got to be 4 non blondes' "What's Up!"

Everybody loves that song but nobody seems to know any other song from them. Talk about being one (huge) hit wonder!

Surprisingly (to me at least), I really like that whole album. There are actually maybe three other songs I'd have selected over What's Up? to be the single.

Children of the sun would be one of my choices but I wish I could find the original version and not the remaster/CD version. Have to start looking. Listening to this version to see if it sounds right.

Archived