Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's your favorite one-hit wonder?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanford & Townsend - Smoke From a Distant Fire

Thanks for nominating that one; it was a well-crafted tune.

Now, I must admit that the shuffle rhythm and overall sound reminds me of the myriad horns/bass/drums-dominated R&B bands that formed in the 70s, copied the seminal Motown acts of the 1960s, and who virtually lived off of the scads of polyester-wearing upper-middle-class white couples who shag danced every weekend at the local VFW and frequented "beach music" clubs in North and South Carolina throughout the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. It was inescapable when I was growing up in rural NC and probably explains why I sought refuge in hard rock.

Ides of March

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdbGLK5B5mE

Isn't the singer the guy who sang Eye of the Tiger?

Here's my cover of Vehicle if yer curious

Good call, ZMB. It is the same singer, Jim Peterik. I'd never thought that.

And I always assumed Vehicle was by Blood, Sweat & Tears. No wonder I couldn't find that song in their catalog.

Soundcloud is having problems right now, but I can't wait to hear your cover of it. Thanks for the link.

King Harvest

Ides of March

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdbGLK5B5mE

Isn't the singer the guy who sang Eye of the Tiger?

Here's my cover of Vehicle if yer curious

Jim Peterik was heading up Ides Of March as a teenager. Your version of Vehicle is great, by the way.

Peterik went on to form Survivor, and he wrote hits for 38 Special.

In case you missed it, The Harlem Shake. Similar to Miley Cyrus's Wrecking Ball, had so many YouTube hits that is became a Billboard topper, even though it's a secondary part of the formula. Both received little radio play. This Prompted the New York times to ask, are these really musical hits or novelties? So the definition of a pop hit has changed.

A great song that was later covered MANY times. The Bobby Fuller Four..."I Fought The Law."

Bobby Fuller became a One Hit Wonder, after being found beaten, finger broken and drenched in gasoline in his car a couple months after this huge hit. The murder was never solved and rumors fly about Frank Sinatra being unhappy that Fuller was dating his daughter Nancy at the time.

A strange aside to his mysterious death....Janis Joplin later died several years later around 250 feet away from where Fuller had been found.

Bobby Fuller I fought the law - YouTube

I think Rick Derringer and The McCoys might also qualify with "Hang On Sloopy"

Not sure what this version is from, probably some movie...but it seems to have an extra verse and a hot looking go-go dancer as "Sloopy."

Archived