Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's your favorite one-hit wonder?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it's still my all-time favorite, but it sure was at the time: Blues Magoos' "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet," from their debut album on Mercury, "Psychedlic Lollipop." They opened for The Who on a 1967 tour.

http://youtu.be/hclPPseW93o

115488846.jpg

"Sounds like another K-Tel Superhit!!" (using zany AM DJ voice) is how my wife and I tag most of these 70's singles... and that's a good thing.

(aka: "Their A&R man said 'I don't hear a single' - T. Petty)

But wait... there's more:

Freda Payne: Band of Gold

Patrice Rushen: Forget Me Nots

Greg Phillinganes: Behind the Mask (actually a cover)

Actually, the McCoys and Kingsmen charted a few times and had at least two top ten hits each.

McCoys: "Hang on Sloopy" (#1) "Fever" (#7), and some others.

Kingsmen: "Louie, Louie" (#2 for 6 weeks) and "Jolly Green Giant" (#4).

Trashmen's "Surfin' Bird" is a great candidate, because the rest of their output flew under my radar. But even they managed a follow-up song that hit #30.

As for Surfin' Bird, whenever that song came on the radio everything stopped for me while I listened to the end.

I don't know if it's still my all-time favorite, but it sure was at the time: Blues Magoos' "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet," from their debut album on Mercury, "Psychedlic Lollipop." They opened for The Who on a 1967 tour.

http://youtu.be/hclPPseW93o

115488846.jpg

I was gonna post this one yesterday...always loved that tune and especially the guitar solo for its time.

Guitarist Peppy Castro ended up in LI " supergroup" Barnaby Bye in the 70s, with the drummer from The Illusion and the Alessi Brothers for a couple LPs. They reunited a couple years ago and have been gigging again.

Funny....I cannot remember how or why but I ended up down in the Alessi brother's home studio in their basement back in the 80s with them playing me new demos. Weird.

Going with "Jungle Love" by Morris Day and The Time....

Got an issue with them? Take it up with Jay and Silent Bob.

Might be a regional "hit" thing, but "I Could Be Good For You" by 707 is a cool tune:

I was gonna post this one yesterday...always loved that tune and especially the guitar solo for its time.

Guitarist Peppy Castro ended up in LI " supergroup" Barnaby Bye in the 70s, with the drummer from The Illusion and the Alessi Brothers for a couple LPs. They reunited a couple years ago and have been gigging again.

Funny....I cannot remember how or why but I ended up down in the Alessi brother's home studio in their basement back in the 80s with them playing me new demos. Weird.

Blues Magoos was the first nationally popular rock band I ever saw. They did a freebie tour in the wake of their hit and came to the department store (Shillito's) about a mile down the road from me to play a set. I was in jr. hi but my brother could drive, so we went. Shillito's had cleared out the lawn'n'garden section to accommodate the crowd (or so they thought). It was not only my first exposure to a recorded and broadcast rock band, it was my first exposure to baby boomer rock'n'roll crowds. My brother and I pushed our way in a bit, heard them do a couple of tunes, got to hear them do their big hit, listened to a couple more songs and then split. This was 47 years ago.

Now here's a real one-hit wonder from one year before--one album, one hit song, and the group disbanded--Psychotic Reaction by Count Five of San Jose, CA.

countfive.jpg

As "Count Five" they affected a Dracula-like persona, dressing in black capes. Here's a publicity photo set in front of the Winchest Mystery House:

countfive2.jpg

I think this is one of the best pop songs ever for a number if reasons.

New Radicals - You Get What You Give -

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

A great song. Love it in one of my favorite kids movies, Surf's Up!

Also, I think I'm going to go out on a limb and call a Hamer Cruise sighting on their bass player.

ETA: Yah, freeze frame at 4:24.

I think this is one of the best pop songs ever for a number if reasons.

New Radicals - You Get What You Give -

Http://youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

A great song. Love it in one of my favorite kids movies, Surf's Up!

Also, I think I'm going to go out on a limb and call a Hamer Cruise sighting on their bass player.

ETA: Yah, freeze frame at 4:24.

Yea, great movie, really caught the feel of my early life as a surfer/skateboarder. Great soundtrack.

Archived