Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's your favorite one-hit wonder?

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Blue Cheer being billed as "the Loudest Band in the World," back in the day.

I have a photo of the band in from of a HUGE wall of SUNN Orion speaker cabs....the ill-fated amp series by SUNN that was discovered to have a fatal design flaw and the entire line was recalled and scrapped, literally. After collecting SUNN for 20+ years! I have yet to ever find one of those bottoms. These were the same amps that The Who used to record its Magic Bus LP, blowing up a pile of Orion's and leading to the recall. The solid state series was designed with a large pre-amp as the traditional "head," with the amp actually in the speaker cab. It turned out that in practical, heavy use, the speaker vibrations caused a component failure in the amp, once it had heated up. Oops!

post-1235-0-52972900-1406551791_thumb.jp

I don't know if it's still my all-time favorite, but it sure was at the time: Blues Magoos' "We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet," from their debut album on Mercury, "Psychedlic Lollipop." They opened for The Who on a 1967 tour.

http://youtu.be/hclPPseW93o

115488846.jpg

I was gonna post this one yesterday...always loved that tune and especially the guitar solo for its time.

Guitarist Peppy Castro ended up in LI " supergroup" Barnaby Bye in the 70s, with the drummer from The Illusion and the Alessi Brothers for a couple LPs. They reunited a couple years ago and have been gigging again.

Funny....I cannot remember how or why but I ended up down in the Alessi brother's home studio in their basement back in the 80s with them playing me new demos. Weird.

Is this the same Alessi brothers.......

Heres their contribution to one hit wonders........

Since I see a lot of 2- and 3-hit wonders in the thread, I feel fine posting this one. This was Ambrosia's first hit, which made them out to be a bluesier band with a pop edge, but future hits were strictly easy listening fare.

Also, given that this is a one hit wonders thread, how can you not include the Wonders!

The first record I ever owned, bought for me by my Dad in 1973 (bless him) when I was about 11, think I may still have it somewhere..

The version I had was by the Hotshots.

I had that 45

They opened for Iron Buttlerfly in about the third of fourth concert of my life....the consensus was they were better than Iron Butterfly.

The summer of '63 saw three one-hit wonder surf instrumentals:

• Pipeline by the Chantays; peaked at #4 on May 4
  • Wipeout by the Surfaris; peaked at #2 on August 10
  • The Lonely Surfer by Jack Nitzsche; peaked at #39 also on August 10

I remember them all playing on Top 40 radio that summer.

chanta1_urb8.gifsurfaris_l1.jpg?w=300Nitzsche+US+ps040.jpg

Although Jack Nitzsche had only the one hit under his name, he was a major force in pop music and film scores, being Phil Spector's arranger and conductor. His credits and connections were vast. Check his Wiki page if you're interested. In addition, check his film scoring credits on IMDB.

While Epic was their one hit pretty much, I thought Faith No More with Mike Patton (Not Chuck Mosley) had alot of really good songs. The Real Thing, Angel Dust, King for a Day and Album of the Year have some good stuff on them.

"Something in the Air", Thunderclap Newman: After decades, it's still utterly unique in the pantheon of pop(ular) music

'Take a Letter, Maria", R.B. Greaves: Nice Sam Cooke influence

"Cool Jerk", the Capitols

"Tighten Up", Archie Bell and the Drells

I think this is one of the best pop songs ever for a number if reasons.

New Radicals - You Get What You Give -

Green Hamer Cruisebass in this one!!

The first record I ever owned, bought for me by my Dad in 1973 (bless him) when I was about 11, think I may still have it somewhere..

The version I had was by the Hotshots.

Guilty pleasure...also the first LP I ever bought as a kid.

Ironic that someone posted "Alley Oop" by Hollywood Argyles right after you posted this Royal Guardsman hit because the Guardsmen covered Alley Oop on the Snoopy LP !

Archived