Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Want to buy new desktop computer - suggestions?

David B

Question

My computer is an outdated P.O.S. & it's time for something new. I still prefer to sit at a desk at home with a computer so I think I still want a desktop. Do you have any suggestions? I'd also like some good speakers.

I have 3 x home-built all running Linux Ubuntu Studio. After using Windoze for many years, I wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick since changing to Linux over a year ago. If you got the money and you don't wanna build yourself (as I have always done), buy a Mac :)

I've bought 4-5 systems from Frys Electronics over the years. They have some pretty good deals at times on the commodity HP/Lenovo/Dell/etc type systems.

http://www.frys.com/search?query_string=&cat=-68380&pType=pDisplay&sort=price%20asc&start=0&cat=-68380&from=0&to=24

There's a store here on the NE side of Indy, I always buy parts and build my own. I always wanted a Mac but you get what you get with them and they won't sell you parts if something goes bad. If you build you're own you can always upgrade to the latest components with no problem. JMO

I have 3 x home-built all running Linux Ubuntu Studio. After using Windoze for many years, I wouldn't touch it with a shitty stick since changing to Linux over a year ago. If you got the money and you don't wanna build yourself (as I have always done), buy a Mac :)

One of the HP systems I bought from the above link is running Fedora (Redhat) as sort of an uber-NAS, with four SATA drives - pair of RAID 1 arrays. That way, the "family" Windows systems can all store stuff there, and when Windoze takes a nose dive I just reimage... and all the important stuff is still intact. Can't beat linux for that.

I have a work-issued Macbook Pro, but honestly I'm kinda disappointed in OSX (even though it's UNIX based). Maybe it's better when in a Apple-only environment... but the interoperability stuff has been a PITA (SMB/CIFS client performance with the aforementioned Linux box, for example). The browsers (Safari, Firefox and Chrome) have been kinda twitchy too at times. Especially with streaming media.

I've bought 4-5 systems from Frys Electronics over the years. They have some pretty good deals at times on the commodity HP/Lenovo/Dell/etc type systems.

http://www.frys.com/search?query_string=&cat=-68380&pType=pDisplay&sort=price%20asc&start=0&cat=-68380&from=0&to=24

There's a store here on the NE side of Indy, I always buy parts and build my own. I always wanted a Mac but you get what you get with them and they won't sell you parts if something goes bad. If you build you're own you can always upgrade to the latest components with no problem. JMO

There's an outlet about 20 minutes from me here in Phoenix/Tempe area. Great store! Some of the deals on the site are "in store only", and so that works out good for me.

I got my wife a really nice little Gateway laptop w/Win 8 there a couple years ago for $275. Still going strong.

I'd buy a SSD based notebook and a big size monitor for stationary use. Possibly buy a USB dock to connect all the tiny gadgets at one place.

Only one answer really:

i-fucking-Mac!

Life's too short to fiddle-fuck with the PC architecture and the flakiness of Windows.

I speak with lots and lots of experience here. I've used Windows since Feb. 1992. Been on one Mac or another since 2008. Won't ever go back. Never.

I don't wanna hear any complaints about the Mac being "too expensive...too much money...I can't afford it." If there was ever a false economy, it's a $599 Windows computer. What you save up front will cost you in rebuilds, security and anti-virus software, and general frustration and aggravation. I found fast startups, lack of attack drama, and overall peace of mind to be worth the extra money easily.

Oh, and the user interface and application controls are far more intuitive as well.

As for speakers, I have a 2+1 Logitech system for my "i-fucking-Mac" (thanks JohnnyB). They sound fine, but I wind up using my Sennheiser headphones most of the time.

In previous discussions here, Audioengine A2 speakers came out on top I think. For a bit more money they also have the A5 speakers.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store

I'm definitely not very computer savvy, but can usually figure out whatever I'm trying to do. Would I be totally lost on a Mac?

You'll face some learning curve in OS regardless, be it Windows 8 or Mac. I doubt one would be more difficult than the other.

For speakers, there are of course the AudioEngine offerings, depending on how much desktop space and spare cash you have.

An up-and-coming alternative is the Focal XS Book speakers at $299/pair or $399 if you want Bluetooth capability. Focal is a take-no-prisoners speaker company that makes its own drivers. Their top line speakers hit $200,000/pair and their speaker components are likewise used on some of the finest speakers throughout the world. This gives them an advantage in popping some seriously good mid/woofs and tweeters into their desktop speakers and pricing them under $300. They're also nicely styled and only 4.5" wide.

AFOCALXSBOOK.jpg

Reviews:

Son bought a Mac 2 weeks ago. So impressed, I ordered two more yesterday. Take a bite of the Apple - don't think you'll miss your PC...

Here's my two cents. If you've been a Windows user, think about what you liked and didn't like about Windows. Then go try a Mac at an Apple store. Ask for some assistance to show you around. See if you like it. My wife and her in-laws are all Macrobators now ;)

I ran a network of Macs back in college ( in the 7.5.1 days), and they drove me batty. Worked in the Windows world for years and years. Recently I requested that my new work laptop be a Macbook. Why? I have to support Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS development, which I can do with one laptop if it's a Mac. I run a Virtual Windows machine when I need it (via Parallels), but run in Mac mode most of the time. Why? I know my way around Windows land in my sleep, but working occasionally on a Mac drove me insane (I had a Mac Mini to support the iOS customers I had). Even after 6 months there are still things that drive me nuts about the Mac, but it's mostly because I am a hotkey/key input person, and OS X is geared around the mouse (or trackpad). I almost never touch my mouse when I'm running on windows.

ETA: I do like the fact that my travel computer is now quite light, even lighter than my last Dell. Previously I was dragging Dell's "mobile workstations" around, and that was getting seriously old. Light, fast, and a nice screen. Having said that, there are some seriously well specced Windows laptops now.

Aaaaaaaand one last thing: what do you do with your computer? Would a tablet work for you?

<snip>

I ran a network of Macs back in college ( in the 7.5.1 days), and they drove me batty. Worked in the Windows world for years and years. Recently I requested that my new work laptop be a Macbook. Why? I have to support Windows, OS X, Android, and iOS development, which I can do with one laptop if it's a Mac. I run a Virtual Windows machine when I need it (via Parallels), but run in Mac mode most of the time. Why? I know my way around Windows land in my sleep, but working occasionally on a Mac drove me insane (I had a Mac Mini to support the iOS customers I had). Even after 6 months there are still things that drive me nuts about the Mac, but it's mostly because I am a hotkey/key input person, and OS X is geared around the mouse (or trackpad). I almost never touch my mouse when I'm running on windows.

</snip>

Mac's have lots of hotkeys and you can easily set others in the system prefs. I like the consistency of the the Mac hotkeys across apps. There are apps that add even more features if you are interested.

<snip>

</snip>

Mac's have lots of hotkeys and you can easily set others in the system prefs. I like the consistency of the the Mac hotkeys across apps. There are apps that add even more features if you are interested.

Yes, where it gets even more fun is that sometimes I run Windows native, sometimes not, sometimes on a wireless keyboard, sometimes the macbook keyboard....I should just sit down and spend the hours to beat every app (and the OS) into the behavior I want, but I tend to be buried at work with fires blowing up regularly

Yes, where it gets even more fun is that sometimes I run Windows native, sometimes not, sometimes on a wireless keyboard, sometimes the macbook keyboard....I should just sit down and spend the hours to beat every app (and the OS) into the behavior I want, but I tend to be buried at work with fires blowing up regularly

One thing that many switchers don't realize is that Macs have a pretty consistent set of hotkeys across most apps and then the extra features of the apps will use their own particular set. The base set seems a bit more consistent than windows but that may have changed with Windows 8.1. Haven't used it that much myself yet.

Archived