Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Guitar brands that repel you?

For some reason, I was sitting at work today and became bothered by Nathan's "I will never own a Fender" statement he made long ago. I couldn't wrap my head around such a position, but then it occurred to me that I was being hypocritical since I also have brands I won't touch. Some brands just really turn me off, with no logical reason for it.

I'm okay with my emotional biases though, so let's share....

For me:

• Dean
  • Carvin
  • Ibanez
  • Kramer
  • Washburn
  • Peavey
  • Heritage
  • Ovation
  • Taylor

I know all of those companies make fine guitars, but I can't overcome my own limitations here.

It seems I will never attain Veatch's admirable "friend to all guitars" state of enlightenment.

How about you - confess...it's good for you.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, I was sitting at work today and became bothered by Nathan's "I will never own a Fender" statement he made long ago. I couldn't wrap my head around such a position, but then it occurred to me that I was being hypocritical since I also have brands I won't touch. Some brands just really turn me off, with no logical reason for it.

I'm okay with my emotional biases though, so let's share....

For me:

• Dean
  • Carvin
  • Ibanez
  • Kramer
  • Washburn
  • Peavey
  • Heritage
  • Ovation
  • Taylor

I know all of those companies make fine guitars, but I can't overcome my own limitations here.

It seems I will never attain Veatch's admirable "Friend to all guitars" enlightenment.

How about you - confess...it's good for you.

I've always loved Ovations and thought that they were visually inspiring, had ultra fast necks and pretty decent preamps.

Maybe I should sell mine... didn't know they were uncool.

I'm just kidding, nobody ever comments on them when they come over... they like my tele and strat but could care less about my Hamers and Ovations.

The most they ever say about my Hamers is, "I didn't know Hamer made Les Paul shaped guitars" when looking at my Monaco Elite.

I think my Hamer collection makes me look like a chump.

I LOATHE Heritage guitars, intensely dislike Carvin guitars, wouldn't piss on an Agile if it was on fire, not a fan of Epiphones, can't understand the appeal of Reverends, and don't dig BC Rich guitars made after the early/mid '80s.

Probably a few more on there, but that's a good start for where to start the firewood pile...unless there's something out there that resembles a potato.

This would have been a great question 10 years ago, but frankly 95% of the guitars made sound the same. I feel for naive young musicians going into shops these days and walking out with a guitar and amp that sounds like garbage.

I am so lucky to have found a USA Diablo. I would have to pay $1500 or more to find something new that sounded as good. A guitar just needs to sound good, I could care less about mother of pearl, paint jobs, fancy hardware, I just want it to have personality. Substance over Style. Too many video's in youtube of people showing off the looks without even playing the damn thing. It could be made out of a cigar box as long as it made a sound that inspires me to write something with it.

For me:

• Dean
  • Carvin
  • Ibanez
  • Kramer
  • Washburn
  • Peavey
  • Heritage
  • Ovation
  • Taylor

I think you've covered all of mine.

Are you sure you're not forgetting any?

artist_adrianbelew.jpg

Oh my, do I feel an old school HFC beatdown a comin' from my reply !

Here goes - long post:

First off - Parker Fly's are incredible guitars. Absolutely clinically precise as all hell and make you feel like a better player. They are just so modern and different in design and appearance it instantly eliminates their ability to project and vintage, mojo vibe. I understand why some might dislike them. You should try one out though just for S&G.

I own a 1996 Parker Fly (with no midi) that had its previously fleet white finish get BADLY messed up - it was otherwise dead mint. Kim arranged to have it repainted for me and offered to do it in any color I wanted. So I chose ^ ^ THAT ^ ^ exact color from and HOK auto color sample book - BEFORE - that metallic orange was ever a paint color option in the Parker/Fender universe. Its actually Lamborghini Tangelo metallic orange - cool as the other side of the pillow. As I understand it, Kim and their crew agreed it turned out bad-a$$, so they started offering that color finish option on their Fly's after that. In the light, that orange looks like its about a half inch deep (almost candy color) - awesome color on an awesome guitar. Hate away - my recessive pimp gene will feel no pain on this one.

I've always considered Peavey to be, American made, way overbuilt and overall good stuff. The working mans guitar company - more affordable gear that is pretty darn nice. Regarding the Peavey Wolfgang - I can't comment on that one from Peavey (though I like Peavey in general), but I do own a low serial number vintage white, Fender EVH Wolfgang (not a special) that is all sorts of bad-a$$ and every bit as well crafted and awesome sounding (except when I play it) as the other top-notch guit-fiddles that I'm blessed to own. Darn near Fender custom shop quality - impressive enough to go try one of these out as well. Although there is no pimpiness here, I'll take my beating on this too. Fa-lame away :D .

I LOATHE Heritage guitars, intensely dislike Carvin guitars, wouldn't piss on an Agile if it was on fire, not a fan of Epiphones, can't understand the appeal of Reverends, and don't dig BC Rich guitars made after the early/mid '80s.

Probably a few more on there, but that's a good start for where to start the firewood pile...unless there's something out there that resembles a potato.

We need to work on bringing you out of your shell . . . . . :lol:

Dean (unless it's a Z with a shrimp fork headstock)

Axl

Fano (more art than function?)

Peavey

Schecter (except for PT and some C-1)

Newer BC Rich designs

Newer Jackson designs

Newer ESP

Tyler (Egad, those ugly headstocks!)

Ibanez S-series

Really, anything with too many bevels and razorback notches cut into the body and/or headstock.

Oh my, do I feel an old school HFC beatdown a comin' from my reply !

This is a no beatdown zone - a friendly confessional.

I have had a few Parkers, and I love them. You will notice that Parker is not on my list. I lusted for one of those new Dragonflys for a bit, but fortunately they priced them in the realm of stupid.

Kizanski has some deep feelings for Belew and his performances which I suspect may bleed into some feelings about Parker. Then again, it may not, which is why I phrased it as a question.

That orange is HOT. I love it.

These are not pleasing to my eyes:

Parker: Ugly

EBMM: Plain Jane

Strats with big headstocks

Deans with fork headstocks and MLs in general.

Gibson upside down V guitars

Just about any guitar with mini buckers, all singles or P 90s

...I can't believe I got trolled twice on the same thread before I even got a chance to see it!

Still, however, the only guitars I refuse to buy are Gibsons and Fenders.

Any bolt on $1K and up

Any worn finish new guitar ( I just don't get it )

Any guitar that has ( The vine of life, stars, shark fins, bars, or birds on the fret board )

Godin

Kramer

Carvin
Ibanez

Dean ML

PRS - Stupidly over priced. I still haven't found one that wow'd me in sound or playablity.

Carl B

Parroting what some of you have already posted, but here goes:

Epiphone. I hate it Gibson has made them their budget beginner knockoff line. Would be ok if they were their own thing unto themselves.

Dean with the 6 inline headstock. I'm ok with the split forked 3x3. That looks "right" to me.

Schecter.

80s BC Rich super strats always struck me as third rate back in the hair metal days, but I'm A-OK with the classic 70s BC Rich Bich/Mockingbird era.

VOS or satin/matte finish Gibsons. For that kinda money, put some gloss on it. Jeez.

Most Fender offerings.

LTD

Heritage

Peavey (the Wolfie gets a pass)

EBMM (the EVH/Axis gets a pass)

Carvin (oh hell naw)

I have to admit a disliking of Ibanez. Hamer's and Ibanez both have a signature EQ and timbre. The Ibanez sound too tame, tubular and processed for my taste. The Hamer's have a more raw, thick wood tone sound.

Hamer Diablo $800+ - Natural wood or pea soup green. Plain Jane, like a girl without tits. Half the Price of it's better looking sisters.

Jem 7V WH $2200 + - Elegant, slick, sexy like one of those 80's metal video girls.

Which one sounds better?

I really think Hamer's truly spoiled me on crafting extremely well made, classy instruments AND being works of art at the same time. I always knew back in the 90's Hamer's guitars were better guitars in a number of ways. When I was younger, I chalked most of the back and forth brand bashing on the big brand rivalries. I just never realized how much better Hamer was until I played and finger-humped several other (expensive) guitar brands that were barley just - "meh?" to play. I assumed every company worked hard at making guitars that nice - talk about a letdown and a real eye opener there.

The importance of appearance or the aesthetics of guitars has hit me a ton harder as I've become older (not necessarily more mature) and I guess more discriminating? I just know I'm a lot more picky about how they look TO ME.

But then hell, what do I know about good taste - I own a metallic orange guitar?!? B)

Archived