Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Mango tonewood? 8O

zorrow

Made of wood from the mango tree:

bexmg1.jpg

I took the picture above from here: http://bacchusdo.com/product/bexmg.htm

It actually looks like Bacchus is opening a new line of guitars made in the Philippines with mango wood. Some more shapes available:

338918_sub_1_m_201402181448.jpg

334297_sub_1_m_201312291449.jpg

And yep, it's mango wood:

334297_sub_4_l_201312291449.jpg

I bet it provides a very sweet tone! :rolleyes:

I found this:

MANGO

A beautiful looking, orange wood with beautiful grain, that is used increasingly as a more sustainable wood choice (as Mango is a fruit tree, the wood is harvested after the tree is no longer efficiently producing fruit, and is then replanted). Mango provides a warm yet bright tone, similar to walnut.

Took from here: http://www.gotaukulele.com/2011/02/ukulele-beginners-wood-types-and-their.html

If it applies to ukes, it should also apply to guitars, right?

Looks Cool Kinda like Korina. Oh Man. :huh::P

Yep. Kinda spalted Korina. I'm intrigued. :ph34r:

Actually, mango is the national fruit of India -that's where it comes from- and from there jump to the Americas, and it's the best fruit on the whole wide world. :)

I've been considering a mango dinner table for a long time, i've wondered if the aroma of the fruit could be found in the wood.

What i don't like of the mango guitar, that i tolerate on the mango table it's the black spots a little bit like bubinga or koa, and i don't know if would like on the guitar

But if it contributes to the tone in any positive way, a tobacco burst mango guitar could be a nice option :)

Some guitars have a sweet tone, this one is refined to a specific fruit. Winner!

If you had a lot of guitars, it would be nice to have a few with unusual personality.

Hmmm... You didn't need to say that, ya' know? :lol:

Actually, mango is the national fruit of India -that's where it comes from- and from there jump to the Americas, and it's the best fruit on the whole wide world. :)

I've been considering a mango dinner table for a long time, i've wondered if the aroma of the fruit could be found in the wood.

What i don't like of the mango guitar, that i tolerate on the mango table it's the black spots a little bit like bubinga or koa, and i don't know if would like on the guitar

But if it contributes to the tone in any positive way, a tobacco burst mango guitar could be a nice option :)

Maybe you just need to see the right piece of mango wood. The three guitars shown have such a variation that there is possibly some mango out there that would be right for you.

If the mango makes a good sounding guitar with a grain pattern that irritates you, you can always have it finished with Seafoam Green lacquer. Seafoam Green can make anything look good.

Beautiful wood. Is it me or is the tail piece crooked? Maybe it's parallax distortion from the angle? But it doesn't seem to line up with the pickups.

bexmg2.jpg

It is the angle of the guitar to the camera creating an illusion.

• 1 month later...

Found these on a sale from a japanese retailer for 46.000 yen. Bought two, both the flying Vee and the Explorer.

Extremely nice guitars! Well made, decent harware and pickups, plays nice, balances great (after I moved the strap buttons)

and lightweight. Haven`t tried these with a "real" amplifier yet (my bedroom Marshall Lead 20 doesn`t count), but first impressions are that these are snappy and midrange driven guitars.

My Gibson Vees and Explorer sounds dull and muffled compared. My Hamer Korina on the other hand is still superior to them all :)

Still really nice guitars that exceed all my expectations for such cheap guitars.

I`ll post some photos tomorrow.

Is it me or is the tail piece crooked? Maybe it's parallax distortion from the angle? But it doesn't seem to line up with the pickups.

bexmg2.jpg

The tailpiece is perfectly straight. It's the rest of the guitar that is crooked. How they failed to align it correctly with the tailpiece is anyone's guess.

Tradition. Gibson did it in the 50's. That is what other manufacturers copy.

When guitars were all acoustics with spruce tops a pickguard made more sense. Electric guitars other than lap steels were acoustics with pickups added. Over time the pickguard was kept and worked into the overall look.

There is no need for a pickguard on a harder wood like mahogany or maple. It takes a LOT of playing to make a groove in those types of wood. Hamer got it right when the Standard was created. Dean left off the pickguard on the Z. Gibson kept true to their original design, even on the maple veneered E2 Explorers in the early 80's.

When Hamer did the run of korina Standards in 1995 the guitars had pickguards. They were Hamer's way of proving a top notch 50's Explorer copy did not have to have an $11,000.00 list price. Has Hamer ever put a pickguard on any other version of the Standard other than the natural finish korina models?

Bacchus decided to go the traditional route. Another manufacturer might use the same mango wood and leave off the pickguard. Right now we need a tone report on these guitars anyway.

Archived