Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The "modern" Standard headstock... is it legal on a Shishkov?

zorrow

Sorry. I'm just asking all the questions I have, just to understand what the options might be when the custom orders will take off. :)

So, this is my question:

Will the fatter headstock of modern Standards be available as an option? I know the Ultimates sport the thinner, 4D ones. So, is the fatter hockeystick headstock illegal, or this was a purely arbitrary design decision?

I'm just being curious. :)

Ionel - Are you planning on ordering something with a Standard-style headstock or "just being curious"? ;)

I think a lot of people have questions that truly aren't able to be answered at this early stage of the game. As far as something being "legal" or "illegal", Mike is going to stay on the clear side of things. If an order comes in, he'll probably have to evaluate it at that time, and may choose to make an artistic modification if necessary. Personally, I don't see a problem with doing something that is closer to the more recent/modern (thicker) Standard style headstocks.

Keep in mind, Shishkov USA is a custom guitar shop that will make most people's guitar dreams come true, but Mike is not trying to be Hamer USA. His guitars will have HIS mojo, blood, sweat and tears on and in them...well, hopefully, not the blood and tears part!

If you are looking for a Hamer, buy a Hamer - there are plenty of those around and always will be - even a glut of new, unsold stock. If however, you want a personalized, truly custom creation, with real collaboration between the customer/player and luthier, Mike's the man.

The "most people" bit was intentional on my part - purposely worded that way, because some people want things that just aren't going to get made... :D

I should be in the "most people" category, really. The order I intend to place (for which I asked a quote) should not represent any major problem, given I like it quite simple. But yes, the custom part of it is a big part of what attracts me to Shishkov. I basically want a very simple guitar with some few tweaks. I'm asking questions in order to explore how open the shop will be to tweaks. Happily, I'm getting the right answers. ;)

As I understand it, Mike will be more receptive to "tweaks" and custom work than Hamer had been in recent years up until near the end.

I want to chime in and say that "asking questions" is the purpose of this forum so all is good.

I would say a question like "will Mike make me a Duotone?" will get the same answer as "will Mike make me a "Les Paul?". No. If you ask for a double cut acoustic electric guitar with a piezo and a couple humbuckers the answer would probably be different.

Bottom line though is Mike is making Shishkov's, and while there may be some similarities between what people order and what Mike used to build they will still be Shishkov's and not direct Hamer copies or law suit specials.

Then again who I am I to speak for Mike, although I'm pretty sure he would agree. He loves the stuff he built and helped design so will not be surprised if their influence appears very strongly in his work.

The most exciting thing in all this I think will be the guitars that he and his customers come up with that no one including mike have ever seen before.

Ionel, if there is one thing I am sure of, YOU are just the man for that Job. I can't wait to see what you two come up with.

I want to chime in and say that "asking questions" is the purpose of this forum so all is good.

I would say a question like "will Mike make me a Duotone?" will get the same answer as "will Mike make me a "Les Paul?". No. If you ask for a double cut acoustic electric guitar with a piezo and a couple humbuckers the answer would probably be different.

I guess I'll save "Will Mike make me a five-necked Parker Fly?" for another day then...

;)

No need to save it, Jim! I'll spare you the agony of waiting...that one ain't happenin'!!

I guess I'll save "Will Mike make me a five-necked Parker Fly?" for another day then...

;)

No need to save it, Jim! I'll spare you the agony of waiting...that one ain't happenin'!!

Dream Denied !

Well when Mike opens up the quote for I have one single request headed his way. It will be fun and twisted.

The shape of the head stock for the Ultimates will be different from others builders. I personally like the vintage look, which is what I am going for with this.

Cool, Mike. Can you give us a little insight into your vision for the Ultimate neck carve? I'm guessing from Chris' comments that they'll all be similar in the first two batches. Thanks for your time.

Well when Mike opens up the quote for I have one single request headed his way. It will be fun and twisted.

hmmm, I suspect you are referring to one that will be come one of his signature models. He's only made a few of those for non rockstars. if I am on the right track, the answer to that will be an absolute yes! ;-)

Nah, with Bubs it's probably some hideous floral Phantom monstrosity.

Mike, just say no.

Floral, that is brilliant ! Kind of a Steve Vai thing. ;)

At least I know what I want and I am able to hold on to something for more than 90 Days. :P

hmmm, I suspect you are referring to one that will be come one of his signature models. He's only made a few of those for non rockstars. if I am on the right track, the answer to that will be an absolute yes! ;-)

I do want to see what Mike has in store for signature models.

you're both hopeless teases!!!! :P

Archived