Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I'm still thinking opaque... Who's with me?

soli'd

Saw the wood pics, had a lot of second thoughts, still going opaque top, hopefully oxblood. Who else likes solid color tops?

Mike, if you read this, save the crazy grain for the other guys... (unless the best sounding one also happens to have crazy grain.) :D

Edited to add: no pickguard, ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like bursts, translucent and solid tops...but my Ultimate will be a gorgeous burst showing off that super blingy maple that Mike has acquired!!!!

I've thought about a black Ultimate after the initial two runs are done and my blonde Ultimate is secure in the vault here at the beach. That friggin' Korina Standard Kizanski had haunts me. Mike should start hunting down some limba!

Nah. My Ultimate is goin' natural. That wood's too nice to hide, even though I usually like utilitarian, opaque beater guitars.

For my Ultimate I like the #0004 look: natural. No guard. Rawk.

Rick.jpg

I have yet to decide on just what color, but it's got to be translucent of some sort.

I'm back and forth on a darkburst, a very light (just around the edges) cherry burst and vintage natural...

Opaque. :)

full color or just the top? What color?

Maybe something in the lime family, full color including headstock with Shishkov logo in marble black. I'm thinking of a Tally sized body with the 25.5 scale, but with a body shape flavoring a Gretsch Super Axe with the Florentine cutaway and the Explorer type headstock. It could also have stain on the back and just paint on the top & headstock.

*** Mike - PM me so we can start the prototype ***

Gretsch & Fender do a decent offering of opaque colors, especially the old auto colors.

post-112803-0-90975400-1407938619_thumb.

post-112803-0-94346600-1407938624_thumb.

^^ ^^ ^^

This is not how it works...

(Love the color though!)

Agreed: love tmsfo's avatar burst.

In the more modern Lesters, tobacco burst seems to be presented often as amber center with brown edges.

LP3.jpg

My Gibby Howard is bursted that way, and I'm just not into it compared to the vintage darkbursts. If you read "Beauty of the Burst" you know brown wasn't involved in the original bursts. The dark bursts were created by spraying the red tone much heavier (typically to hide some aesthetic flaw in the maple). When I say tobacco or dark burst, I mean something like the bub's burst or these lovely examples found on the interwebs by Googling Beauty of the Burst:

Dark-Burst3.jpg
IMG_7041.JPG

The dark edges are very saturated red to the point of being almost deep purple/black. Love this sort of thing, especially with a natural side / back!

I kinda like the idea of an opaque top with a clear back - like a gold top or a duo-jet. That said, mine'll be sunburst.

Yeah, I pretty much want mine to look like the burst in your avatar. :)

I'm aiming for siblings :)

I tend to like translucent finishes lately. Green, blue, purple, black, red or yellowish... I love them all, but I also like to see the wood. Still don't know what to choose for my first CO though, but I was told I still have time to make my mind. ;)

Archived