Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ace on Jimmy Fallon

crunchee

We watched the DVR'd episode last night.

Wife said, "who's that?"

I said, "one of the main reasons guys in my generation decided to pick up a guitar in the first place, Ace Frehley!"

Silence...

"The original lead guitarist in Kiss"

Wife: "Oh. He looks really old..." <_<

ETA: the posted video did not make the broadcast (unless there were some DVR remote control hi-jinks going on).

It was actually kind of sad. I'm a big Kiss:Alive era Ace fan... but drugs and alcohol, as well as age I suppose, made it sad. That and the look of the bass player, like he was just having so much fun playing three notes.

Sadly, Ace is coasting along on his KISS notoriety.

And the others are continuing to reinvent themselves and break new ground?

Well, Kiz, they DID come up with new costumes for the last tour and all...

Yeah. A friend and I had a discussion this morning about concerts by older bands sometimes relying on rock and roll schtick. Ten years ago I made the joke that Paul now smashes a guitar over a dead horse.

The thing is, Paul Stanley kept KISS going when Gene was trying to be a TV and movie star. Paul put out a solo album and a tour while KISS was taking a break.

Ace makes jokes about how if he knew he was going to be so big in rock and roll he would have practiced more. Well? What has been stopping him over the years? If someone wanted to put together a super group, Ace will not get the call. He is what he is.

Hung out with Ace and Sebastian Bach on a flight from Detroit to Japan in 2001. Sabastian is extremely funny but Ace is one cool cat. I got some candid thoughts from him on a lot of topics.

Hung out with Ace and Sebastian Bach on a flight from Detroit to Japan in 2001. Sabastian is extremely funny but Ace is one cool cat. I got some candid thoughts from him on a lot of topics.

I got some candid thoughts from Ace regrading his policy about not signing guitars. He was wearing a full length leather trench coat whilst eating a chicken wing. It was surreal.

He was also way drowned out by the Roots - especially two drummers who had no idea what songs they were playing. It was a clashy, crappy mess, unfortunately. Always been an Ace fan, but if his cover of "The Joker" isn't just an awful joke, then maybe it's time for him to hang up the Les Paul. That's TERRIBLE!!

Ace did alright.

The Roots probably only practiced the song a couple of times. Not that it's a tough one to play.

But he didn't get to play the lead at the end of the song, like he usually does, because The Roots, obviously didn't go into the break.

In my mind, I compared it to Rob Halford performing with Earth Wind & Fire. Just doesn't go together.

Thankfully, due to my self imposed abstention from listening to KISS, this was my first time hearing this song.

Two things occur to me;

1) I will NEVER do that again, and,

2) Ace must have been listening to "Willie and the Hand Jive" a lot at some point.

I was listening to this and my first thought was - this is a song that The Sweet should have recorded - it's got a Sweet vibe (having never heard it before). Then I did some google and found out that The Sweet just covered it ..... on their 2012 album titled New York Connection.

Archived