Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

Why?  Well... 

I really need to practice any musical instrument right now. 

Yesterday I went to the local Guitarget to see what kind of used gear might be there, and there was a kid trying out a Les Paul with his family watching him.  You know how you can tell when someone has learned only from tablature?  Everything is played as notes in order, but there is no spacing between notes nor is there any emphasis on notes.  The kid was trying to play Purple Haze, but if not for certain passages no one would have known it.  One could have run a thumbnail slowly across a comb and gotten the same result.  Dah dah dah dah dah dah...  It was horrible.  The kid was likely hitting all the correct notes, but had no clue why he was playing them.  He surely never tried playing along with the CD or video.  The kid may be a nice kid with a nice family, but someone with some patience and the ability to teach needs to let the kid know that he has failed at playing Purple Haze. 

However... 

if he were to be one of those kids with an attitude then it would be fun to out-Hendrix everyone in the store with a banjo.  Banjos can be LOUD.  Some people cringe when they hear banjos.  Hendrix.  On a banjo.  In.  Your.  Face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I know you're in the south, but have you ever gone down south-er to Cajun Country and caught a zydeco band in full flight at an indoor shotgun-shack style venue? Even on like, a Sunday morning? With or without a hangover?

They have guys that play the banjo's obnoxiously nefarious cousin, the accordian, through a dimed Fender Twin.

It'll split your skull. 

None more metal.

Well, there's the south, and then there's Acadiana.  😄

• Like 2

81523914_10216363297495261_7205026484803

He's just a poor bird
from a poor family
spare him his life from this fricasee

Edited by django49
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I love seeing some of bigger clowns on Reverb get stuck with something they valued incorrectly. 

Guy who bought my Miller Time guitar uses one account to buy guitars and another account to sell, I guess so people won't know he's a flipper trying to low ball people.  I sold the guitar for $1,000 less than he's asking. Fine with me.  I got most of my money back out of it and had fun playing it for some shows for a few months.  Thing was I hated the upper fret access and was starting to pay it less and less, so I decided to move it on. 

I guess he priced based on other Miller Time's (that have been sitting on Reverb forever).  

Sucks it moved it out of reach for actual Hamer fans, but I hope he enjoys sitting on it forever at that price.  Already been three months. 

• Like 2

On 12/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, mrjamiam said:

Just now is the first time I think I ever saw a Guitar Center commercial on broadcast TV.  On the local NBC (no idea how to tell if it was a local buy or the network feed), during the Saturday Night Live Christmas Special, over the air.  I don't remember what else they pimped - it took me a moment to realize what was on the screen - but they advertised Ernie Ball guitar strings as great gift items.  How does this fit in with the declining guitar-interested demographic, I wonder?

A little bit more data:

1) I've never seen one Music Go Round go out of business.  New ones keep popping up as I do my online used guitar searches, but not one has disappeared.

2) When I moved her 8 years ago, the DC area had 3 Guitar Centers.  Now there are 6 within a 20 mile radius.  8 if you expand to a little over 30 miles.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it isn't *all* geezers building up their guitar collections.

• Like 1

And if that doesn't do it for you, how about a $560,000 Shishkov (Yuriy, that other one).

spacer.png

Coronation Stratocaster by Yuriy Shishkov

The Coronation Stratocaster is inspired by the Coronation Egg made in 1897 to commemorate the inauguration of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra on the Russian Imperial throne.

The guitar looks as royal as the name would suggest, donning a gold leafed surface with an on-wood Guilloche and gilded silver artwork. Also featuring custom fabricated diamond eagle medallions, along with hundreds of diamonds throughout the instrument, the price of this stunning instrument quickly makes sense.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tortious said:

And if that doesn't do it for you, how about a $560,000 Shishkov (Yuriy, that other one).

spacer.png

The Coronation Stratocaster is inspired by the Coronation Egg made in 1897 to commemorate the inauguration of Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra on the Russian Imperial throne.

The guitar looks as royal as the name would suggest, donning a gold leafed surface with an on-wood Guilloche and gilded silver artwork. Also featuring custom fabricated diamond eagle medallions, along with hundreds of diamonds throughout the instrument, the price of this stunning instrument quickly makes sense.

No, it doesn't...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tortious said:

spacer.png

And it’s not even a set neck...sheesh!!

• Haha 2

If you want to talk about songs that play with time signatures, I think you have to include Journey's "Dead or Alive", which can be written in 4/4, but really seems to be mostly in 6/4:

and Loudness' "Complication":

• Like 4