Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

On 1/20/2020 at 10:42 AM, Steve Haynie said:

Odd time signatures in popular songs that you never really noticed are explained here. 

Watched the first. Listened to a Cheap Trick album today and this jumped out at me from a song. 

• Like 1

I think getting those odd times to work unnoticeably is largely about the drummer.  My first band wrote a lot in 7 and 5 and even had a few polyrhythms here and there.  Folks never noticed because our drummer had such fluid cymbal and snare work that his patterns never seemed to be "interrupted"  by the 1 coming somewhere you didn't expect.  A lot of folks who'd watch us said they never noticed this or that song was in 7/8 or 5/4 until they tried to bob their head to it.  

He left for a few months, and replacing him was hell.  We even had the "best" drummer in our local rock circle in Murfreesboro come audition, and we went from sounding like a balls out rock band to Rush.  Dude never could play an odd time without making it feel odd.  Thankfully, our original drummer moved back to Nashville and stayed until the band finally fell apart a couple of years later. 

Love or hate this song, you have to admit that's a pretty smooth 7/8.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2020 at 6:09 PM, LucSulla said:

I think getting those odd times to work unnoticeably is largely about the drummer.  My first band wrote a lot in 7 and 5 and even had a few polyrhythms here and there.  Folks never noticed because our drummer had such fluid cymbal and snare work that his patterns never seemed to be "interrupted"  by the 1 coming somewhere you didn't expect.  A lot of folks who'd watch us said they never noticed this or that song was in 7/8 or 5/4 until they tried to bob their head to it.  

He left for a few months, and replacing him was hell.  We even had the "best" drummer in our local rock circle in Murfreesboro come audition, and we went from sounding like a balls out rock band to Rush.  Dude never could play an odd time without making it feel odd.  Thankfully, our original drummer moved back to Nashville and stayed until the band finally fell apart a couple of years later. 

Love or hate this song, you have to admit that's a pretty smooth 7/8.

Concur.

That is smooth.

• Like 2

I listened to Ride the Lightening and Kill Em All in the gym today and thought, the downfall of Metallica didn't start with Cliff getting killed.  It started when they discovered Mesas.  

Yes, heretical, I know.  Maybe I'm just too much of an old school thrash head, but I like how raw the boosted Marshalls sound on those first two vs. the scooped Mesa think that started on MOP. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Here you go - for you tuning freaks:

00K0K_av8hhJLKW8D_1200x900.jpg

I am waiting on a customer to show up, so I had time to look this thing up. 

Tronad is an Indian manufacturer.  The Mohan Veena is played like a steel guitar.  You would think the slide would bang into the tuners and the posts in the fretboard. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

I'm now in the 24 fret club.  And anyone who sincerely believes all the money is lower has never played in a band where you have to do arpeggiated harmonies with a horn line and sometimes end up actually having to get up there to get things to work properly. 

• Like 4

The Jackson Guitars Facebook group is weird.  Most of those guys over there would rather own 10 low end, Chinese Jacksons than one really good MIJ or USA.  Then they freak out when they find out they have a twisted neck or something like that.  

Then again, they just slap EMGs in everything as soon as they buy it, so I'm not sure sonically it would make any difference anyway. 

• Haha 1