Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

This confirms TWO things we already new.

1. The proper place of guitars.

2. The proper place of harmonicas.

92329306_2676370059128654_23011575263112

• Like 1

Finally the weather cooperated when I had time and thought of it to take some pictures for a future for sale thread.  I haven't been playing much lately, and I could use some money for other things, and after trying some different styles/models/makers I have started figuring out what works for me and what I haven't been able to make work - you know how it is.

And I saw the Shishkov Ultimate case.  That one would bring more than any of these others, maybe I should take some pictures while I have the camera out.  Open the case, pull it out, ....

Nope.  Damn, this thing sounds, feels and looks like no other.  The day may come, but not today!

• Like 4

I decided to look up tops on 78 Les Pauls to see if it was common to have such a flawed piece of maple as one of the three pieces on the top.  Mine has a black patch that's like a birthmark.   

I couldn't find anything, and decided to polish it a little when it struck me - it isn't a faw in the top.  It's 21 years of resting my palm there and having sweat soaking through the ever-thinning layer of lacquer and into the wood grain underneath.  I don't know why that never crossed my mind, but it's really obvious when the sun hits it on the wall where it is hanging.  You can see where the lacquer is worn through around the pickup toggle, knobs, and where my hand goes.  

That's a whole lot of good memories.  Sometimes I miss when that was really the only guitar I had.  Weird how an inanimate object becomes such a close friend. 

159BD0CF-1679-4E1E-9981-9A7F3406F402.jpeg

9289ED50-E06C-4C39-8A62-9591299A55C0.jpeg

D0D167E5-3368-4664-90F0-37BCC166A019.jpeg

Edited by LucSulla
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

See, that guitar is pure sexy gorgeous to me.

Some of you guys can have your crazy graphics and your exotic woods,  but I prefer guitars that look like they ere run over by a burning artillery piece during the blitz. As long as it's functional, of course. And the action remains low.

Good guitars get played, and played guitars get nuanced character.

If I saw that LP in a rack full of everything under the sun, it'd be the first one I'd grab.

Thanks, man!  It's definitely one that got played.  I saw it in a shop in 1999 and wanted it but couldn't afford it.  When I picked it up, the first thing I noticed whas how much paint was worn off on the back of the neck between the 3rd and 9th frets.  I was 19 at the time, and it was the first time I'd ever really felt a "broken in" neck like that.  

Around the same time, my Les Paul Studio got stolen, and the home insurance gave me just enough to buy this guitar.  I think they'd had trouble selling it because the nut was a mess.  I got that fixed and have just played the shit out of ever since.  It's not awfully heavy for that era, but it's a fucking tank buildwise. 

It's a Nashville Norlin, which are supposedly shit, but I don't know about that.  Seems to me that if they ever built one correctly, they are pretty much impervious to destruction.   I've had a strap lock break and watched it pogo off the ground, headstock first, and nothing.  I've done everything from tuning it down to D Standard to running 11s on it in standard, and the neck just doesn't care. It never moves.  To be honest, I don't know if the truss rod even works because I've never had to adjust it in 20+ years.    I guess if they got those three-piece, maple necks right that they really would last forever. 

It's definitely one of those that a novice wouldn't pay $2k for due to the period, the wear, and pretty much nothing on it being stock.  But anyone that knows guitars would immediately know why I love the damn thing and why to me it's priceless.  I can't believe my stupid ass wound up with it, as I knew absolutely nothing about eras of Les Pauls, what to look for, or any of that.  I just loved it the moment I picked it up back in July of 99, and fate just kinda worked it out. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 5:47 PM, LucSulla said:

It's a Nashville Norlin, which are supposedly shit, but I don't know about that....

I do. 40 years with this junker:

DSCN6140small.jpg

It's firewood. B)

• Like 4

While we are on the subject of Thursday blues, here is another from an old favorite performer.

Once upon a time, I played with some folks and a rotating group of singers. One was a gospel singer and we had great fun doing things like this, as well as Bonnie Raitt, Peggy Lee and the like. Mary was a kick. Hope you enjoy this.

• Like 1