Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

Things I learned today:

1.  While not as big a pain in the ass as I expected, the old-school truss rod adjustment at the heel is a pain in the ass. 

2.  The truss rod on a custom shop Charvel is very responsive - a little goes a looong way, more so than any other guitar I own.  

3.  I cracking the neck pocket lacquer was exactly as fucking easy as I hoped it wouldn't be.  Not that I have plans to sell this guitar really ever, but still, I hate I did this.  I was trying to do the trick where you loosen the screws toward the bridge almost all the way and the ones toward the headstock about 1/2.    For one, you have to remove that first pair all the way.  Two, as careful I was, it sure as shit didn't take much despite trying to make sure the pressure I was putting on the neck was not side-to-side.  

IMG_2904.jpg

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... what does it mean when you come up with solos you have great difficulty playing; when your brain is writing a check that your fingers can't cash?

• Like 3

On 9/22/2020 at 9:47 PM, LucSulla said:

Things I learned today:

1.  While not as big a pain in the ass as I expected, the old-school truss rod adjustment at the heel is a pain in the ass. 

2.  The truss rod on a custom shop Charvel is very responsive - a little goes a looong way, more so than any other guitar I own.  

3.  I cracking the neck pocket lacquer was exactly as fucking easy as I hoped it wouldn't be.  Not that I have plans to sell this guitar really ever, but still, I hate I did this.  I was trying to do the trick where you loosen the screws toward the bridge almost all the way and the ones toward the headstock about 1/2.    For one, you have to remove that first pair all the way.  Two, as careful I was, it sure as shit didn't take much despite trying to make sure the pressure I was putting on the neck was not side-to-side.  

IMG_2904.jpg

I did that neck trick on one of my bolt necks some time ago, can't remember where I read it from. But they suggested about 1/4 turn at each screw 'till you hear that "click", then lock that baby up. Was kind'a scary when I heard it, but after a retune and truss rod adjustment, smooooth !!