Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

I walked in tonight after having a few drinks out on the town, looked at my hamers quietly resting in their stand, and was totally stoked that I own such instruments. I think I may play myself to sleep on the couch on one of them.

Luc, with all due respect, you gotta quit drinking.

Cheers!

caddie

I walked in tonight after having a few drinks out on the town, looked at my hamers quietly resting in their stand, and was totally stoked that I own such instruments. I think I may play myself to sleep on the couch on one of them.

Luc, with all due respect, you gotta quit drinking.

Cheers!

caddie

Too late! Already stumbled into bottles of George T. Stagg and Thomas Handy Sazerac tonight.

Goddamn I hate amps in a box. Had to run through a Pod HD500 tonight that was running straight into the PA. Sounded great out front, but there was absolutely zero feel to it. Nasty trend I see in cover bands around here. I continually get asked, "why have an amp, just get something like a Pod and DI. Everything you want is right there."

I want to say for the same reason that I didn't lose interest in sex just because jerking off is generally more convenient and less trouble.

Or more simply, because this sound awesome.

My heart sinks every time someone asks if I can just DI...

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw a license plate on the commute to work this morning:

VOX AC30

I haven't wanted to meet a driver of another car this bad since I saw a license plate that said "DSLS4U"

(full disclosure: the explanation of the 2nd license plate is NSFW. Also, I have never actually seen the 2nd license plate)

In concert Brian May popped up playing a Duotone equivalent Red Special shaped guitar for Crazy Little Thing. It's a very nice sounding guitar, especially made for him. Doesn't have a trem though.

Saw a license plate on the commute to work this morning:

VOX AC30

I haven't wanted to meet a driver of another car this bad since I saw a license plate that said "DSLS4U"

(full disclosure: the explanation of the 2nd license plate is NSFW. Also, I have never actually seen the 2nd license plate)

DSL is 4 you? The car driver sold Internet services?

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading through some of the crap I've written on this bulletin board, and I realized:

Crap, I sure think I know what I'm talking about!

• Like 1

Don't you hate when you are just shredding sitting down, stand up, and it all goes away?

I've spent the last month really focusing on the kinesiology of how I play guitar. For instance, I can play 1/16th notes at 120 bpm fine and from 160 bpm to almost 200 bpm pretty cleanly when I am warmed up. However, regardless of how warm I get, from around 130 to 150 is shaky. After really paying attention, I notice that when picking slowly, I only move my wrist. When I pick fastly, I use much more elbow and maybe even a tad of shoulder. Where my problem has been is the shift from playing with my wrist to my arm. For the past several weeks, I have been working on smoothly moving between those two motions and am starting to see results.

The new problem is that to pick fast with no muting on a clean, I have to pick hard as hell. I suppose once I get the motion smooth through that 130 to 160 bpm range, I will start futzing around with dynamics more.

Guitar is a never ending adventure.

I used to live just down the road from the filling station Jimmy Buffett robbed. My dad got thrown out of a restaurant back in the 60s when they both were at Southern Miss because Buffett was stealing chicken legs from the buffet (funny right there). I used to sell his shitty mixto tequila at Spec's in Austin.

Jimmy Buffett, career criminal. A1A is a great album though.

I can appreciate that the Lennon half-brothers exploited their connection to their father.

However, I would respect them more if they had set their own musical style and hadn't exaggerated a similar vocal/musical style.

Music is not genetic, to the best of my understanding...

Edited by Nathan of Brainfertilizer Fame
  • Like 1

Is this becoming just a brainfertilizer + LucSulla thread?

C'mon, doesn't anyone else have any random musical/guitar thoughts anymore???!!??!

Even if it just limits all my mostly irrelevant thoughts that I feel some need to share with the world to one place, it has served its purpose :-p

Perhaps you and I just have the worst case of mental diarrhea and subsequent need to hurl said poo at the world.

A disgusting metaphor I regret only just after typing, yet I will still post it. :lol: