Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

It was over by the Suitland Federal Center, pretty early in the morning. Silver Hill and 5 or Silver Hill and 414....On an SUV if I remember correctly.

Actually, I don't remember if it was even on a Maryland license plate. There are enough military folk working here it could have been any state, so it might not actually have been you.

Guess that wasn't mine - I don't go anywhere near Suitland, and my tags aren't on an SUV. I know there's a PA plate with that in the Harrisburg area, but maybe you saw a VA plate?

Guess that wasn't mine - I don't go anywhere near Suitland, and my tags aren't on an SUV. I know there's a PA plate with that in the Harrisburg area, but maybe you saw a VA plate?

I can't remember. Quite possibly was. I certainly don't remember it being Maryland.

For that matter, it could even have been Florida or Texas, I see those all the time in the area, among other out-of-state plates, due to Andrews AFB being right across I-95, and Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling being close by, too.

You may have seen something like this before, but it was the first time I remember seeing it: on TGP someone was advertising a "Road Worn" Strat as being in like new condition. I don't think he was trying to be funny.

• Like 1

Just had some morning fiddling with the all alder MIK Standard having single coils in it. Played into the VAC 25. Classy!

Alder and single coils are a great duo.

For me, at least, "didn't bond with it" actually means "there's some other guitar that has attracted my attention and I've talked myself into letting this one go to get the cash for the other one".

• Like 1

Or it usually means, "well I don't like it enough to keep it, but honesty might kill my sale".

For me, at least, "didn't bond with it" actually means "there's some other guitar that has attracted my attention and I've talked myself into letting this one go to get the cash for the other one".

Or it usually means, "well I don't like it enough to keep it, but honesty might kill my sale".

To be a cynic, it could also mean "In perfect physical condition, but utterly disappointing sonically".

I have a few guitars that are excellent in every way, but I really just didn't bond with. Jumping to mind are a couple of PRSs that I picked up in a guns-for-guitars trade. Something about their esthetics turns me off.

• Like 1

The inspiration for my comment regarding "bonding" was the fact that I'm buying back a Cali Elite that, at the time of selling, I claimed I didn't bond with.

Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right niche for them as well. The Standard I was going to sell wound up being a metal machine, but I did really know that until I got to play it through an amp that was really opened up. I don't own another guitar that is as balanced and articulate but still totally nasty at high volume and gain.

• Like 1

I bought a killer mij Tokai 335 clone but hated the neck size. I truly didn't bond with it and was bummed

this has happened several times to me. i no longer buy guitars off the web, i want to play them 1st (plus i can no longer afford it!)

Now that I have a virtually perfect shredder stable, replete with ebony fretboards, stainless steel frets, extended fret quantities, great tone, some rarities, and trems that stay in tune for weeks, I suddenly feel the need to start working on jazz chord shapes, comping, and chord-melody standards.

• Like 3

I just joined a country band. I think I am going to play my standard in it as my main ax because it's about time someone played country on a standard.

...or played rock on a standard in key and tempo with a country band that happens to be playing at the same time.

Ha! Done that:

IMG_4960.jpg

At the time I was thinking how playing in a rock band would be waaaay better.

You are one bad ass lookin mofo. Little sneer, nerdy glasses, black curled up hat. Where's the swirly gig with the bottle of Schlitz?

Stay thirsty my friend.

Cheers!

Noonan

Every time I see a European model in an advertisement, I think, "What's so attractive about heroin addiction?"

I think I'll right a song including a lyrical version of that line.

I've never been able to find a PRS that just felt right. They're beautiful, well balanced and very well made. But with those first couple of strums of the strings I never felt that "vibe". Some people fit a PRS very well, I'm not one of them...yet. So I don't begrudge anyone not bonding with a guitar.

Apparently, it's well-known and almost legendary, but TIL:

On "Won't Get Fooled Again" (and most of Who's Next), Townshend played a Gretsch 6120 into a Bandmaster. I had always assumed it was one of his Gibsons into a Hi-Watt.

• Like 1