Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

I bought some of these today:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/99aff89488ddd6b1/

I forgot how pleasurable a lot of albums are through good cans. These aren't the best it gets by any means, but they really do deliver a great experience for under $200. Tool's Aenima and Dark Side of the Moon continue to intrigue me sonically after all these years. Being able to hear the room as well as the snare itself on "Eulogy" is so cool.

Then there are newer albums... good god, it's a good thing that the album is a dying art form, because most of them sound fucking horrible anyway. I can ALMOST forgive the aggressive use of limiters in mastering, but a lot of stuff you can tell is clipped to "tape" before it ever gets smashed by a mastering engineer.

Edited by LucSulla

Glad I live in Nor Cal.....I'm going to go see a Great Guitar Player....Some Pro's feel is simply the best living.

He plays most Every Style! Hard To Label.....He told me.. "Keeps me from getting bored"

Check it Out!

http://www.ericmcfadden.com

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier as a failed drummer or bassist than as a failed guitarist.

To clarify, I seem to have topped out as a guitarist far below where I want to be.

In contrast, I was a much better than average bassist for the 3-4 years I played bass. I was even able to grasp jazz comping on the bass, which I still haven't been able to do on guitar.

And I am always tapping out beats with feet and hands, so maybe I could have fun as a drummer, too.

The inspiration for this thought was listening to this little jazz jam in a song, and thinking that although I could never learn to play any of those chops: guitar, drums, piano, or bass, that I thought I could come closer on drums or bass than guitar. And that if I switched to drums or back to bass, I would at least have the enjoyment of a steep learning curve, rather than the frustration of diminishing returns on guitar playing.

I could reduce myself down to a single guitar for old times' sake and invest into a decent bass, drums, or both. One additional advantage of doing that is I would be freed from my obsession of trying to achieve several different mutually exclusive tones. And I could focus on learning styles rather than trying to maximize my chops.

So to put it another way: maybe I would actually be happier being a mediocre bassist or drummer than a mediocre guitarist.

To be sure, I'd have many more gigging opportunities as a mediocre bassist/drummer than a mediocre guitarist. Not that I actually have time in my life right now to gig...but maybe someday soon.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier as a failed drummer or bassist than as a failed guitarist.

Gonna take that general theme and run in a slightly different direction, i.e. not a total derail but...

...drawing from recent posts concerning age and music, and opening it up to abilities on guitar, I've noticed that I'm finally reaching point in my playing where I am feeling moderately satisfied with my abilities. Not "I've reached the absolute pinnacle of my potential" satisfied, just really digging the place I'm currently in. Not sure how to gauge or quantify it. I just am. Call it measurable progress on a scale that I cannot fully articulate. LOL

In short, I'm playing more of the things I've always wanted to and am closer to being able construct meaningful and appropriately challenging solos, off the cuff.

To those who have thrown in the towel when you hit 50 (or whatever magical age); at 50, I honestly feel like I'm just getting warmed up. It feels good.

• Like 4

What is that amateurs tend to compair themselves against professionalists who spent effort on single tones recorded one wouldn't spent on a song in a life time?

Even prefessionalists say that it is hard for them to replay their own stuff on a daily basis. No reason for a midlife crisis though.

I prefer Brad to Joe.

Taking a two year break from playing guitar/music was kinda dumb, but God, I needed a break.

Playing along with Van Halen I to get my chops back up is also kind of a reach these days. Much more so than when I was at the top of my game, which wasn't much.

Gibson Explorers are shaped wrong.

I cracked the back of the headstock of my '62 SG/Les Paul Junior recently, and I really hate myself for not double-checking the latches on the case before I picked up the case, only to watch it skitter across the bedroom floor.

Not digging this new Failure album as much as I'd hoped.

Recently got back on Facebook to run the dealership's FB page, and I really, REALLY regret that.

I still like pink guitars.

I think I'd like to have a brownface Deluxe one of these days.

I gots da blooz.

Edited by Hackubus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my first effect pedal (a Ditto) and just learned that I don't have a reverse polarity 9V power supply. That sucks.

Edit: spliced a positive polarity one. It's ridiculous kluged appearance is fitting.

Edited by Michael_B

Listening to my recorded self played music the day after is like recycling organic waste to grow weed.

• 1 month later...

One of my favorite feelings in the world:

Fixing a host of problems on a guitar with a few turns of a screwdriver and/or an allen wrench.

One of the most frustrating things about dealing with ____________ on the interweb is that folks tend to pick a brand, and then base some of their self-esteem on that brand.

Good thing we don't do that here.

Listening to my recorded self played music the day after is like recycling organic waste to grow weed.

I can't tell what I was up to writing this, however, a drop of bycicle chain oil helped to get rid of noise on Wilkinson bridge rollers.

I continue to be amazed at how much you look like me. Freaky!

I'm also taken aback at some of the things I appear to be saying. Shocking!

• Like 1

Yeah, and I always wonder how I would possibly look like without hair. :D

Yeah, and I always wonder how I would possibly look like without hair. :D

All 60 year old bald white guys look alike.

• Like 1