Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

I can feel a massive gear purging coming, which makes me sad as I only have stuff I really like left.  The Mark III was the first... Hell, the Standard was really the first.  I see guitars pop up that would actually be more useful for what I do these days than some of the things I have a lot of money tied up.  Plus they cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much.  I also need a good combo for a couple of reasons.  Due to that, I can see some stuff I've always wanted having to go out the door soon.  And honestly, it's a weird mixture of being sick to see it go and relieved to go back from a museum back to stuff that is just useful. 

The purge has begun, starting with my much loved EVH guitar that I got to enjoy all of two months.  In truth, it was an impulse buy, and buying the ES-335 kind of meant something had to go.  I really almost sold the custom shop Charvel and kept it, if that tells you anything about the build quality of the EVH Mexico stuff.  There's more to it than just that of course, but it played well enough to give my pause.  So off it went.

It did cross my mind that I was selling the guitar that I raved about out of the box to keep the one with the bullshit nut that has given me nothing but tuning problems.  The Gibson is certainly worth more in the grander scheme of things, but if you had to play a show with one of them straight from the showroom, the EVH was the far better guitar. 

Edited by LucSulla

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 8:13 PM, Steve Haynie said:

That arrangement works well.  Cool stuff is going on.

Thanks!  We're still not as rehearsed as I would like, but I think the band has a lot of potential. 

Out of the blue here, I swapped my "bedroom guitar", from a Chinese Ibanez ASR-70 (like a Gibson ES-330, 335 shaped but hollow with P90s) for my acoustic about 2 weeks ago. It's a great sounding acoustic, but it's green and carbon fiber. I've had it about 6 months, custom ordered it on a trip to the Emerald factory in Ireland, and it still looks so bizarre to me that I have to strum the strings on it every time I walk by it just make sure it still sounds like a guitar lol. I love the sound and playability is amazing, but every once in a while I look at it and think, "What the hell was I thinking?" LOL

X20Artisan2.jpg

Edited by jim777
  • Like 4

On 3/8/2018 at 7:25 PM, Steve Haynie said:

Can you really use this skill in a song? 

I know this is an old post but those are great guitars for the money if you need a 7 string for some reason. It's the one in my avatar, actually :)

I didn't listen to the video though lol

19 hours ago, jim777 said:

I know this is an old post but those are great guitars for the money if you need a 7 string for some reason. It's the one in my avatar, actually :)

I didn't listen to the video though lol

You should watch the vid.  The 7-string is definitely the most useful part, haha. 

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2018 at 9:57 AM, jim777 said:

Out of the blue here, I swapped my "bedroom guitar", from a Chinese Ibanez ASR-70 (like a Gibson ES-330, 335 shaped but hollow with P90s) for my acoustic about 2 weeks ago. It's a great sounding acoustic, but it's green and carbon fiber. I've had it about 6 months, custom ordered it on a trip to the Emerald factory in Ireland, and it still looks so bizarre to me that I have to strum the strings on it every time I walk by it just make sure it still sounds like a guitar lol. I love the sound and playability is amazing, but every once in a while I look at it and think, "What the hell was I thinking?" LOL

X20Artisan2.jpg

The best sounding acoustic I've ever tried was a carbon fiber McPherson. It was a 6-string Steinway. I'd have carbon fiber in a heartbeat....if i could afford it! Yours looks great!

Edited by hamerhead
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I have a growing Charvel addiction. 

Understandable.  Really digging the 2018 MIM DK24's and the older San Dimas and Pro Mods are even better.

Serendipity-  disassembling a Cali(ablo) for the new paint service that you managed to snag at a discount rate, only to find the bridge p'up is a highly sought-after JBJ!

Gonna go play the lottery now... 😂

• 4 weeks later...