Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Random (Music and Guitar Related) Thoughts Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 9:54 PM, mrjamiam said:

Piano is kicking my ass.  Just trying a straight-eighths left hand and quarter note scale with the right is a disaster.  Apparently my left and right hemispheres are fused.

My brain hurts when I try to teach it a new coordination like that.  I literally can't sit still.  I experienced this with learning the basics of drumming, or with a new juggling trick.  I could get in about five minutes of trying and then would have to stand up and walk it off.  Eventually, suddenly, it clicks and it's like tying your shoes.  But getting the brain to accept it?  Ouch!

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 8:54 PM, mrjamiam said:

Piano is kicking my ass.  Just trying a straight-eighths left hand and quarter note scale with the right is a disaster.  Apparently my left and right hemispheres are fused.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:09 PM, Toadroller said:

My brain hurts when I try to teach it a new coordination like that.  I literally can't sit still.  I experienced this with learning the basics of drumming, or with a new juggling trick.  I could get in about five minutes of trying and then would have to stand up and walk it off.  Eventually, suddenly, it clicks and it's like tying your shoes.  But getting the brain to accept it?  Ouch!

I don't think it's beyond me, but it's definitely a hurdle to get over.  It's taking me back a few years to when I picked up guitar again after decades off.  I know what rhythm is.  I know what my hands should be doing.  But they, especially the left (I'm right-handed), seem to have what I characterize as "Tourette's of the hand".  They misfire independent of my intentions, and off-rhythm, quite often.  It decreases with practice, but it's an annoyingly slow process to shed the spasms.

I figure I'm at the same point that every musician that performs two independent tasks at once has to get past:  piano, drums, singing while playing anything.  Just playing guitar, even though the two hands do different things, they are working together to produce a single sound the majority of the time.  I should have worked on this in my teens, not my 50's.

ETA - I was surprised to find that turning it around and playing the eighths rhythm with my right hand and the quarters scale with my left was almost instantly successful.  I speculate that guitar familiarity was responsible.

Edited by mrjamiam
new discovery
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:33 PM, mrjamiam said:

I don't think it's beyond me, but it's definitely a hurdle to get over.  It's taking me back a few years to when I picked up guitar again after decades off.  I know what rhythm is.  I know what my hands should be doing.  But they, especially the left (I'm right-handed), seem to have what I characterize as "Tourette's of the hand".  They misfire independent of my intentions, and off-rhythm, quite often.  It decreases with practice, but it's an annoyingly slow process to shed the spasms.

I figure I'm at the same point that every musician that performs two independent tasks at once has to get past:  piano, drums, singing while playing anything.  Just playing guitar, even though the two hands do different things, they are working together to produce a single sound the majority of the time.  I should have worked on this in my teens, not my 50's.

ETA - I was surprised to find that turning it around and playing the eighths rhythm with my right hand and the quarters scale with my left was almost instantly successful.  I speculate that guitar familiarity was responsible.

The discipline of practice for one instrument carries over to others. I played piano for years.  Just go super slow at first.  Then build up speed.  Although that shit don't help with my frustration over trying to figure out  a Tommy Emmanuel finger style riff.  The dude is amazing. 

• Like 3

On 6/22/2019 at 6:33 PM, mrjamiam said:

....I figure I'm at the same point that every musician that performs two independent tasks at once has to get past:  piano, drums, singing while playing anything. ...

Geddy Lee made it look so easy.

• Like 2