Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer shredders...

LucSulla

Kind of curious about opinions of Hamer's USA super strat stuff - Diablos, Chaps, Cali's, oh my. I'm not looking to buy something immediately (I might *gasp* save some money this time before I buy anything), but I can see wanting to snag one at some point in the not too distant future.

Anyone have any strong opinions either way (well, I know Diablo's :lol: )? Any particularly interesting but often overlooked feature or features?

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but hey, once more round the sun.

I dig the Chappy's the most of the ones listed. The Cali is a sleek machine, but despite having owned several I have never kept one for more that a couple months. It was always a tone thing and when faced with the prospect of swapping pickups I always just punted A Diablo is cool, but the lack of any single-coil options (stock anyway) made it a bit limited for me. Away they went. A Chappy does it all for me, and I wish I had my old Sustainiac porch-plinker back sometimes, but in the end I think I have an issue with the sound of a Floyd-equipped mahogany=bodied axe? I think Alder is the way to go for a true "shredder", but that is just my opinion. That said, my fave Hamer is my SS Custom, in all its "hog and Floyd glory, but it is a much warmer, fatter sounding affair overall. Maybe it's the shorter scale length or they just added extra "mojo" that day in the old shop.

Don't overlook the Centaura, as they seem to get the least respect and can be had for a reasonable price usually. In my opinion, the best "Super-Strat" in the Hamer lineup is still the SS though :D

Check out the Cent in a master's hands:

My favorite is the Centaura, personally.

I love swamp ash for guitar wood, and the Centaura is the only one you can get with that.

It also balances well.

My impression of Diablos are that they are perhaps the uber shredder: light, thin neck, really low action, and gets the best EVH sound in stock configuration.

The first Chaparral version is short scale, so if you like short scale, that's the shredder for you. Plus the short-scale has the most flexible switching options.

The Californian is the most inspirational: just plain sleek-looking...best color schemes, simple (HB in the bridge, single coil in the neck), extended range with the 27 frets.

I've had 2 short-scale chaps...never really bonded with them. I had 2 red Diablos, regret selling them. I have a green one now that I tried to sell, until I finally realized I would regret it. I have a couple Californians, not my favorite players but are just so damn cool I can't let them go. And my favorite is a maple-boarded, swamp ash-bodied, tobacco burst Centaura.

Hope that helps.

For me it's a Cali set neck with a mahogany body.

I LOVE the look of the FM bodied ones much more but the sound of mahogany, to me, is far nicer. Peter likened it to a shredders Les Paul and I agree. My FM bodied one is very aggressive sounding. Great if you want something that's going to cut in the mix but perhaps not as nice in isolation.

The set neck I prefer because of the access to the upper register. And if you have a Cali upper register access IS important.

Kind of curious about opinions of Hamer's USA super strat stuff - Diablos, Chaps, Cali's, oh my. I'm not looking to buy something immediately (I might *gasp* save some money this time before I buy anything), but I can see wanting to snag one at some point in the not too distant future.

Anyone have any strong opinions either way (well, I know Diablo's :lol: )? Any particularly interesting but often overlooked feature or features?

I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but hey, once more round the sun.

If you want a La Metal sounding Superstrat on a budget get a Diablo. It has the Hamer USA tone timbre just like the others and is made of alder, like 90% of strats. It is not as pretty as the double the cost Californian's etc. but it's half the price or more with the same top notch parts, they gave this thing away. It is imo the best guitar for the buck period for Lynch, Lee, DiMartini, Adrian Smith..........and it plays blues on the neck pup like a stratocaster.

Here is one up against up against a top end Ibanez Jem 7. is the reason I finally got a buddy to sell me his.

My big recommendation is to get your hands on a few before buying one just to see which one works for you. A boomered maple-body Cali is a classic example of a guitar I (and apparently many others) would buy with my eyes, but that my hands would likely be lukewarm about.

Fortunately for me, my eyes can't log into paypal and my hands are wise to their controlling position in the matter these days. ;)

It really depends on two things- what you want to do with it and what you, personally, work best with.

As you surmised, I don't need to voice my opinion :lol: but I will say that I own what I do (and why I mod them) because they suit my needs best and are the most compatible with my preferences in terms of feel, options, style, aesthetics, etc.

So, what is it that you will use it for? Gigging? Recording? Plunking around? Conversation piece? :lol:

What are your own likes as far as materials, tone, options and aesthetics go?

I tend to think the "ultimate" shredder is going to have less to do with the body wood or pickups (the former being entirely unnoticeable when covered in paint and the latter being replaceable), and has far more to do with the neck. If the neck has good action, fret-height that works best for you, and a shape that just fits your hands (which is going to be different for everybody), then that's probably going to inspire you to shred (if that's your goal) more than anything else.

I realize tone is important, but so much about tone can be shaped by pickups, pedals, amps, and those things attached to the end of your arms. The only part of the guitar that you physically connect and interact with in regard to playing is the neck, and (for myself) a GREAT neck will sway my opinion toward a guitar more than wood or fancy paint. To be clear, I'm not suggesting I'd want a butt-ugly guitar with a great neck, because I still want to enjoy looking at the guitar to some degree. But playability is more important.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting I'd want a butt-ugly guitar with a great neck, because I still want to enjoy looking at the guitar to some degree. But playability is more important.

Maybe Nathan can show you something from the line of potato-shaped guitars? :lol:

con038.jpg

My Calis are very different from my Chapparal. The Chap has a thicker neck, bigger body and more weight to go with it. My maple Cali is a tank for the undersized body. Of all 3, the maple Cali (with stock Trembuckers) is my go-to sound-wise, and the Chap is #2 (with SD Hot Rails, Dimarzio Fast Track1, and a Super Distortion S-S-H config).

I don't get the Diablos, as the two I've tried had fat necks with super flat fretboards. Didn't care for the tone either. Haven't had the chance to try a Centaura either.

I'd recommend trying a couple out and see which fits you best :) This is the conundrum I go through everytime I think of getting one of the non-shredder Hamers. Which would I bond with? A Vanguard? A Special? Studio, Artist, Monaco? No way to tell without trying them.

I've had quite a number of Hamer shredders. I think the Cali set-necks have the comfiest neck and best upper-fret access (well, other than a Virt :lol:). However, if I was recommending one to someone who had never played any, I would say go with a mid-90's Diablo or Diablo II. Throw in a super 5-way switch and some pickups you like (if you don't like the stock ones) and you can play anything on them.

-

Austin

After owning 4 or 5 Chaps (love the S/S/H) and a few import Calis just to have a Floyd guitar in the pile, I stopped looking after getting a plain-jane USA Cali. Nothing special, but the best divebomber trem guitar I've ever played. (I think) it has the stock pickups, and it sounds great, plus it's a featherweight.

The neck is more rounded and full (not the typical flat/wide that a lot of shredders have), which probably isn't too good if you're a regular shred guy. But for the occasional wanker, it's pretty great.

After owning 4 or 5 Chaps (love the S/S/H) and a few import Calis just to have a Floyd guitar in the pile, I stopped looking after getting a plain-jane USA Cali. Nothing special, but the best divebomber trem guitar I've ever played. (I think) it has the stock pickups, and it sounds great, plus it's a featherweight.

The neck is more rounded and full (not the typical flat/wide that a lot of shredders have), which probably isn't too good if you're a regular shred guy. But for the occasional wanker, it's pretty great.

+1

Cali's defy conventional shredder logic and conformity in that sense. Necks are a bit rounder and IMO, more comfy. Not as wide, as I recall, as Jacksons and not as arthritis-inducing thin as Ibby Wizard-style.

But one man's carpal tunnel is another man's lightning fast neck. :P

My fave are short scale, set neck Chaps (particularly those with the 5 way as opposed to the toggle switches). I like the playability of of the Phantom A5 (as well as the tone versatility) but for pure 'shredder' - I like the early-mid Chaps. Bolt-on Cali's do have good shredder necks for playability though

My favorite is the Centaura, personally.

I love swamp ash for guitar wood, and the Centaura is the only one you can get with that.

It also balances well.

And my favorite is a maple-boarded, swamp ash-bodied, tobacco burst Centaura.

Hope that helps.

I had one of those. Loved the sound. But I don't do well with them Floyd Rose trems. So off it went.

When I was a younger man, I recall a bourbon soaked evening with buddies where we got our guitars together (we brough a couple from our collections). The tone snob of the group who started off with, "what's a Hammer?" His eyes just lit up when he played that Centaura, "this is a great guitar!"

And I can't believe I forgot to mention my TLE with the sustain block. What a great sounding guitar. Darn neck is too thin so I can't play it for as long as I'd like. If you like 'hog and short scale, but want the shredder vibe - TLE is also worth exploring.

If you like those shreddy type guitars or if you like super strats, I don't think you'd be wasting your time if you have a chance to play a Centaura.

Centauras have giant frets. I ended up swapping the neck for a Californian neck and it's perfect. I love the sound of a JB in an alder body.

For all-round use though, I think it's nearly impossible to beat the mahogany bodied setneck format - either Chap or Cali. You get the basic design of a fast playing superstrat, but the wood lends itself to more flexible tonal possibilities if you choose the right pickups. After using very hot pickups for years, my main player (Cali doubleneck) got lower gain pickups and it sounds just right.

I guess you first need to decide if you want a bolt-on or setneck shredder.

I prefer setnecks. The Chaps are great and a good value. Both short and long-scale are easily found. Also bolt-on versions.

I would also add the TLEs, that has both Floyds and Sustain Block choices. Mostly short-scales but there were a few long scale ones made.

Also a different animal but a great HAMER shredder....the 36 fret Virtuoso.

Cali's seem to be the perfect bolt-on HAMER shredders.

As far as feel - I really like the new Charvel necks. I am not a fan of wizard necks on Ibbys at all. One reason I've done such a halfassed job of selling my Charvel is that I actually like it.

As far as looks, I don't care much for graphics or vinyl wrap kind of stuff. Beyond that, my tacky-ometer is probably only just south of Diablo's.

I do like bolt necks, but I've never had a good set-neck shredder. Always have wanted to try one out.

Scale length doesn't make any difference to me.

Body, I tend to dig alder or hog, but not that big a deal.

The SS stuff I am sure are wonderful guitars, but I really don't care for the body.

And TLEs are fucking awesome. The is one on EvilBay that is gorgeous, but too expensive for me.

There is a blue Diablo on Evilbay that has a HUGE neck! Rings like a bell, too, and the color is that sweet Cruisebass metallic blue. $700 seems maybe a hair rich, but who knows anymore where used guitars are concerned. Posted to point out there is a wide variety of neck sizes on these. I don't think anyone can say "Cali's have x necks and Diablos Y". They are all likely different.

Centauras have giant frets. I ended up swapping the neck for a Californian neck and it's perfect. I love the sound of a JB in an alder body.

Not sure about the "giant frets". My '90 has mediums like most Hamer guitars from that era.

Archived