Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer shredders...

LucSulla

I hear there's a sweet Vector on Reverb as well. With a Floyd, a zebra TB-5 Custom and a zebra Dimarzio PAF in the neck. ;)

Check out the Cent in a master's hands:

i got to hang w/ zen today and had a blast!

JEALOUS! Would love to trade licks and stories with ya, Zen. For that matter, you too, Brooks!

I've had an SS I, two Calis, a Chap Sustainer, a Diablo and three Centauras, two of them Centaura 2HBs. Liked them all for different reasons but the Centauras just seemed to play themselves under my hands, just a great personal fit.

29405_1460542914029_8101677_n.jpg?oh=9e5

I tend to think the "ultimate" shredder is going to have less to do with the body wood or pickups (the former being entirely unnoticeable when covered in paint and the latter being replaceable), and has far more to do with the neck. If the neck has good action, fret-height that works best for you, and a shape that just fits your hands (which is going to be different for everybody), then that's probably going to inspire you to shred (if that's your goal) more than anything else.

You didn't mention a neck preference, and since all the USA strat Hamer's have good necks, action, and are top quality, it cancels itself out, and redefines your question.

What neck you like the best can be about your hands more than which is better, unless you are just asking which Hamer SuperStrat flat out has the best specs. And even that can be subjective :) And is price a consideration?

If very specific neck type overrides other things like pup's, wood etc. you need some specs. Whish I had that, just have a generic catalog without neck dimension.

I personally like thin, standard strat width maple neck's. But I bought a Diablo with sound and price in mind, with my own personal monetary situation. Others would have gotten the maple neck, but might not have a kid in college at the time :)

I tend to think the "ultimate" shredder is going to have less to do with the body wood or pickups (the former being entirely unnoticeable when covered in paint and the latter being replaceable), and has far more to do with the neck. If the neck has good action, fret-height that works best for you, and a shape that just fits your hands (which is going to be different for everybody), then that's probably going to inspire you to shred (if that's your goal) more than anything else.

just have a generic catalog without neck dimension.

There are no set standard neck dimensions to spec as far as I know, so each one will vary somewhat, and from year to year there may be "tendencies" but no fast "rules" here.

I don't think anyone can say "Calis have thin shredder necks and Diablos are fat" or anything similar. You gotta try out the individual builds to find the one that suits you.

There are no set standard neck dimensions to spec as far as I know, so each one will vary somewhat, and from year to year there may be "tendencies" but no fast "rules" here.

This is precisely why I consider myself lucky to have found 7 Cali's that all have killer necks (for my tastes). It also explains, in part, why I've let 3 go.

What is a killer neck to you?

That's a good question for anyone/everyone.

Yup. I guess if I was more knowledgable about the radiuses and profiles, I could answer more succinctly.

I've had an SS I, two Calis, a Chap Sustainer, a Diablo and three Centauras, two of them Centaura 2HBs. Liked them all for different reasons but the Centauras just seemed to play themselves under my hands, just a great personal fit.

29405_1460542914029_8101677_n.jpg?oh=9e5

hey i owned that there guitar, briefly.

also owned a cali, slammer series cali, diablo, setneck short scale chap, and my stickered mutt (cent body/chap neck). maybe a few hamer shredders i'm forgetting too, before i realized that i am in the minority here because i really *like* the typical thin/wide/flat ibanez wizard neck with jumbo frets. now my only hamer is my duotone.

What is a killer neck to you?

I suspect it is going to be whatever best fits any particular person's hands for any given task. In other words, there is no "best" as far as specs go, because everyone will favor whatever specs fits their needs.

I'm not even sure the same person wants the same neck on every kind of guitar. What fits my hands best for shredding may not fit my hand well for playing lots of chords, or may not works as well for playing slide. I guess you can either own several guitars, each able to do something really well, or you find one "jack of all trades, mastere of none" guitar.

Yup. Definitely were some profiles that wore my hands down to fatigued sausages trying to chord on them for prolonged periods of time. I seem to remember getting wicked hand cramps playing chords on my Washburn N4. And then there were others that I couldn't shred on to save my life. Had a badass Charvel San Dimas in Desert Crackle that sounded and looked awesome but was so flat and wide that I couldn't play leads on there for shit. I was left with: what's the point? It's like having a Ferrari and not being able to drive it over 30 mph because your feet couldn't reach far enough to push the pedal all the way down.

It would seem that more companies would provide the neck spec's, I think Washburn does.

There is more than one hand variable for neck comfort for sure. You can have big hands with long slender finger's( IWISH), that can play smaller width guitars without a problem. Maybe it's the thickness of your fingers that steers people towards wider necks, hand strength, health and type of music are variables. I have an average sized hand, can palm a basketball for a second, and I am fine with anything once I get used to it. The most comfortable neck I ever played was on an Ibanez Jem, but that was about all I liked for the price.

More important to me is low action and somewhat slim, and all the Hamer Strat bodied guitars seem to have that if set up properly.

There are some EBAY shredders for sale on Reverb.com

...a nice looking setneck Chap, although not cheap.

I hear there's a sweet Vector on Reverb as well. With a Floyd, a zebra TB-5 Custom and a zebra Dimarzio PAF in the neck. ;)

I am kinda intrigued by that red Chap, but I know very little about their price points.

Diablo, that one certainly seems familiar...

Archived