Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tweed Bassman 5F6-A circuit amps in 2 x 12 or 1 x 12 combo-anybody make them?

crunchee

Question

Like the question says...I'm curious to see if anybody makes them. I'm NOT looking for a low-power tweed Twin clone, OR a tweed Super clone, OR a tweed Pro clone, OR something like Victoria Amps Double Deluxe...but instead, the tweed Bassman 5F6-A circuit in an open-back combo cab, with a change in transformer rating to accomodate a 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm speaker load, for 2 x 12" or 1 x 12" speakers. Anybody know? TIA! :)

22 answers to this question

I'm not a member over there, so I can't see it.

I realized last night...there IS something readily available that's very close (but not exact) to a tweed Bassman 2 x 12", and that's the Marshall Bluesbreaker combo. I'm actually looking for something closer/more exact to a tweed Bassman in 1 x 12" or 2 x 12" format, as methinks the Marshall may have some design tweaks in it of it's own, most obvious being tremelo. I LOVE the sound of my handwired tweed Bassman 4 x 10" clone, it's SO shimmery at times, who needs reverb? But, I think I'd also love one in 1 x 12" or 2 x 12" format even more, and built just like the 4 x 10"!

Have a combo cabinet built for your current amp. No need to go to the expense of a new amp when you already have one.

The output transformers can be an issue, Rob. I don't know about that bassman circuit in particular, but many a Concert and Super Reverb has been wrecked by changing to a 1 x 12, 2 x 12 or 1 x 15 speaker setup and hooking up an 8 or 16 ohm load to a 3.2 ohm output transformer.

I'm not a member over there, so I can't see it.

I realized last night...there IS something readily available that's very close (but not exact) to a tweed Bassman 2 x 12", and that's the Marshall Bluesbreaker combo. I'm actually looking for something closer/more exact to a tweed Bassman in 1 x 12" or 2 x 12" format, as methinks the Marshall may have some design tweaks in it of it's own, most obvious being tremelo. I LOVE the sound of my handwired tweed Bassman 4 x 10" clone, it's SO shimmery at times, who needs reverb? But, I think I'd also love one in 1 x 12" or 2 x 12" format even more, and built just like the 4 x 10"!

PS I am not connected to the seller in any way just trying to help out a fellow HFC'er.

Here is the listing of the amp over on the TPG page.

Up for sale is a Madtone XB-1 Guitar Amp. This design is based on the much loved 5F6-A Tweed Bassman circuit but in a much easier to handle package!! Every bit of the Tweed Bassman Mojo but with low end that holds TIGHT at any volume.

Chassis:

- Custom designed Aluminum Chassis and Custom Faceplate to allow the Control Labels to be LED Backlit! THIS IS NOT A FEATURE YOU WILL FIND ANYWHERE ELSE!!! Look below for pics!

Circuit:

- Faithful recreation of the Tweed Bassman circuit with a few small changes to tighten up the often flubby low end when pushed.

- Hi/Lo Inputs. Lo Input is the standard circuit. The Hi Input adds a gain stage that will take you into full Marshall Rock and Roll territory.

- Pull Boost that adds a touch of gain.

Speakers:

- Weber 10F150 and 10A150T running together at 2ohms just as a Bassman should!!

Tubes:

- GZ34 Rectifier

- Tung Sol 6L6GC STR x2

- 12AX7LPS Phase Inverter

- NOS RCA 12AX7 Cathode Follower

- NOS GE 6072 Traditional V1

- NOS GE 5751 Additional Gain Stage Pre-V1

Transformers:

- Mercury Magnetics throughout

Cabinet:

- Tweed Gibson style with slanted baffle

- Solid Pine Cabinet by the amazing Mather Cabinets!

- Floating Baltic Birch Ply Baffle

- Tweed Pro Dimensions (21"x22"x10.5") 50 Lbs

$2499 Paypalled and shipped to the Lower 48. Includes a 2 year warranty on Parts and Labor (excluding tubes)

Here are photos. If you are concerned about the build quality of the circuit, feel free to e-mail me directly for gut shots.

f3ad9044832a67fcca12153f25fc052a.jpg

f4b681f2f877e76cbc8b31b22caee777.jpg

9857b289ce73eb4179eb4ab2bb4d13ca.jpg

Have a combo cabinet built for your current amp. No need to go to the expense of a new amp when you already have one.

The output transformers can be an issue, Rob. I don't know about that bassman circuit in particular, but many a Concert and Super Reverb has been wrecked by changing to a 1 x 12, 2 x 12 or 1 x 15 speaker setup and hooking up an 8 or 16 ohm load to a 3.2 ohm output transformer.

Oh. That's different.

Thanks very much for posting the details about the Madtone, Carl! ^_^ That's an interesting amp, I'm wondering if the two 12" speakers are 4 Ohms each, so that the amp could get the 'normal' 2 Ohm load, that's something I'd want to ask the manufacturer about.

Thanks also to Lords of the Jungle about the Ceriatone! ^_^ I'm seeing what I think is a rotary switch on the bottom of the chassis, next to the output transformer, I'm wondering if that knob is for varying/adjusting the speaker load to the proper resistance. Again, I'd have to ask the manufacturer about that as they don't mention it in the description. Interesting also in that they specify using a 5U4 rectifier instead of a 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier...I can find vintage NOS 5U4 rectifiers easily AND relatively cheaply, compared to a vintage NOS 5AR4.

A BIG +1 to what Tom said. Old Fenders are relatively tolerant of impedance mismatches from what I've heard, but when you get into 2 Ohm/3.2 Ohm territory, it's a tricky situation...which is why I mentioned the change in output transformer rating to 4 or 8 Ohms from the original rating...or even better, having it selectable/variable, like in some Marshalls! I think Marshall's Bluesbreaker 2 x 12" reissue has a selectable impedance, especially since they more or less share the same chassis and most of the same circuit as the JTM45 head RI. But, like I said, I'm looking for one that is as close to a tweed Fender Bassman 5F6-A circuit as possible, but in a different speaker configuration.

Contact Jim at Lil Dawg Amps and tell him Mark sent you. He will build you exactly what you are looking for at a great price. He is a tweed expert and can build the amp with a multi-tapped OT.

Trust me on this. I own 5 Dawgs. Just a mega-happy repeat customer.

Thanks also to Lords of the Jungle about the Ceriatone! ^_^ I'm seeing what I think is a rotary switch on the bottom of the chassis, next to the output transformer, I'm wondering if that knob is for varying/adjusting the speaker load to the proper resistance. Again, I'd have to ask the manufacturer about that as they don't mention it in the description. Interesting also in that they specify using a 5U4 rectifier instead of a 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier...I can find vintage NOS 5U4 rectifiers easily AND relatively cheaply, compared to a vintage NOS 5AR4.

You're very welcome,,, I'd like to hear how it all works out for you, I've been thinking about a tweed bassman myself as well as an Allen Encore (Vibrolux).

If you're at all interested in building it yourself, it is my understanding you can call the fine folks at Weber, tell them what you're wanting to accomplish and they can custom configure a kit for you (to the point, matching to O.T. for the different impedance presented by the change in speaker configuration).

Weber offers a 5F6-A Head kit for $545

Most transformers are equipped wsith 2,4,8 ohm output leads, but you have to know which is which. (usually color coded)

Buy the head, wire it up with 4 and and 8 ohm output jacks and you are in business.

Definitely not for the first time builder (and neither are Weber kits - instructions are minimal to sparse)

Best of luck.

Bob

I have been getting educated on tweed era in general and ran across this fella.

Chassis kit for 5f6a (as well as 5f1 and 5e3). I think he will also build complete amp for you too. No affiliation.

http://www.boothillamps.com/site/aca402d6eab0477780906951d0e63b87/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fboothillamps.com%2F5F6_Kits.php#2933

I reiterate....contact Lil Dawg. Marsh is good too,but I know Lil Dawg will have an incredible price and top notch quality.

Dude knows tweed.

Did you pick one out yet?

No, not yet...it's hard to choose, still going over the details! Plus, my spare fundage just recently went towards an unforseen expenditure. :(

Ah, I thought I read you had picked up a clone, my bad!

Did you pick one out yet?

No, not yet...it's hard to choose, still going over the details! Plus, my spare fundage just recently went towards an unforseen expenditure. :(

Ah, I thought I read you had picked up a clone, my bad!

I did...a used 4 x 10" Tweed Bassman that somebody else had put together from a kit, but that was some time ago, and that's what drove me to ask about a 5F6-A circuit in a 1 x 12" or 2 x 12" format. The 4 x 10" format does give me plenty of bottom (or is that 'low midrange'?), so maybe using 12s would be overkill. But that's why I was looking for input.

Edited to add: One thing's for sure...getting a brand new 'clone' amp ain't cheap, compared to a used one! As long as my 'used' clone sounds good, works reliably, and doesn't blow up (it does, it is, and it hasn't), I should count myself as lucky, I suppose.

Archived