Hamer Fan Club Message Center

austin city limits 40th

dragan

Anyone else watch austin city limits 40 ann celebration ? I really enjoyed It , features , doyle bramhall ,david grissom, gary clark, bonnie raitt, jimmie vaughn , kenny wayne shepard , joe ely , double trouble, alabma shakes and lots of others .

I really liked Alabama Shakes the first time I saw them. Then the novelty wore off and they became annoying very quickly. Anyone else have the same reaction?

HUGE Austin City Limits fan right here... try not to miss a show every weekend. I usually get home in time from my DJ gigs to check them out. Having this show on a Friday night was really cool because I do miss a show every now and then. Having David Grissom in the backing band was a total waste but it was good to see him nonetheless.

I really liked Alabama Shakes the first time I saw them. Then the novelty wore off and they became annoying very quickly. Anyone else have the same reaction?

I certainly did as well but when Brittany came out onstage and just effortlessly nailed the tune she did with Bonnie Raitt, I was renewed.

The tune they did live that night was really good too... I was in the other room working so maybe it was with the house band, I was too wrapped up to get up and go to the other room to watch.

Plus, the singer and my daughter have the same name... I for some reason thought her name was Brenda from the slurred lyrics of their song that makes me change the station when it plays... "Hold On".

"David Grissom in the backing band was a total waste but it was good to see him nonetheless." agreed but he did have some moments to shine , I've always been a big fan of his playing especially with joe ely on liberty lunch and love and danger

^^^yeah I didnt really see doyle or gary do much , played it pretty safe . I didnt really dig gary with his band either. but I enjoyed the show over all . I like you ,thought "fade away "was entertaining and dave played some nice stuff , but he had a couple nice licks in the " the road goes on forever " with joe ely as well. kenny was probably there in support of his new blues release and his recent association with chris layton ( played drums on kenny's last tour )also enjoyed dave grohls little tribute to roky erickson

Great show.

There were some real pleasant surprises (for me anyways) last season. There's a bunch saved on the DVR. Steve Martin's band was fun, as were The Civil Wars (they sing with one brain. It's pretty impressive). Lykke Li was........ interesting.

I'm looking forward to the new season.

Edit to add:

The fake Beck was on the other night. Saw maybe 5 minutes. No thanks

The first two seasons of ACL were a total dud! The studio was housed in the Communications building on the UT campus. I was an undergrad then and had many classes in that building. The attendance was so low and embarrassing the first season that students were offered extra credit to attend the shows making the audience look bigger and filling so many empty seats:)

I actually raised a full letter grade one semester by attending ACL!!!!

Yes, but then, I find that I've developed the same reaction to nearly all of the artists on the bill for ACL for the past two years (Steve Martin + Steep Canyon Rangers and CT being the exceptions). I guess Indie rock, as a genre, is limited in appeal for a reason. To each, his own.

Is there a place I can see this? I didn’t tape it and missed it. I’m a huge DG fan, a huge Joe Ely fan, a huge Doyle Bramhall fan. Dangit.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365338020/

Thanks. Got around to checking it out. Loved it. DG is the best guitar player of any in the bunch. And I like the others. Notice how DG’s solo in Not Fade Away is so unique and fits perfectly. The others were good, but maybe a bit cliche.

Archived