Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Top Coat/Finish

Sugartune

What is the planned finish type on Shishkovs?

What was/is it on Hamers, for that matter? Nitro at one point, then went to ???

Searching for Urelac found this... Urelac is a new hybrid finish that is used by some builders like Hamer and it is very close to Nitro in the way that it allows for a resonant instrument, but like nitro, you really have to know what you're doing to get it to shine and gloss.. Urelac is also slightly more durable

I would surmise then that Shishkov might use the same finish, knowing who his core target market is?

Oh then further into the thread (TGP) I saw this from Cmatthes...

I also think that a lot of the nitro fans wouldn't be able to discern nitro from "poly" if their Gear Page membership depended on it. wink.gif

:D:lol::lol::lol::DB)

I once saw a mid-90's USA Archtop GT listed on FeePay a few years back, that someone had managed to 'weathercheck' the top on...and NOT in a good, vintage way. Urelac (if that was what was used on that Hamer) seems to be much more resistant to finish cracking/fracturing when exposed to extremes in temperature than nitro is, IMO...but when it DOES shatter, it's UGLY, and NOT subtle. :blink::wacko:

I would suggest a shellac base with sandarac and gum benzoin. Mike should mix the sandarac and benzoin separately and then add (approx. 15% ratio) to the shellac (after it has devolved).

I have other design suggestions if he needs them.

No one has mentioned Acrylic yet.

Urelac cellulose acetate doesn't quite feel like nitro-cellulose but the durability makes it preferable, but I agree few people would notice the difference anyway.

I think most could tell polyester as it feels like plastic (because it is plastic). Fine for bolt-on guitar bodies but not necks.

I am sure some high-end guitars use two-part acrylic paint. Don't know what that is like though. And there are other urethane finishes that use a different base to urelac.

I think you'll find it will be remarkably close to, if not exactly the same ad, the Hamer finishes you know and love from recent years.

I'm going with latex. Couple layers of Weather Beater, and all is good.

Latex?!? You can't feel anything with latex.

Yep, if ya gotta wrap the bologna, polyisoprene all the way. :D

That's a $250 upcharge, Paul.

The good news is however, that you get the toppings of your choice on your pizza...

Archived