Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Top 10 bass players who handle lead vocals"

When I was an active band member, I ended up on bass by default (at age 36, in 1986) and we ended up as a trio (first time I'd gigged that way). What I would end up doing was primarily root-five while singing---on most songs, the melody of the vocals counts for more than a bass line, and I would have to be keenly aware of staying in sync with the bass drum. When we took an instrumental break, I'd try to do guitar-like lines an octave lower (if I opted to be creative or we opted to jam), still having to be cognizant of the bass drum. Small wonder that in spite of my dearth of talent, Jack Bruce and Lemmy were my primary "influences" back then. Maybe that's one (subliminal?) reason I related to the original list on the Gib site.

Larry Graham is a funky badass. That live Eagles clip was great....can see why they won best artist of the millennium.

Here is another bassist who could sing great, Tom Evans. Did some of the BADFINGER lead Vox, although Pete Hamm did most with Evans doing the high harmony parts. Hard to believe both of them hung themselves.

And my fave prog rock vocalist/bassist...John Wetton of King Crimson/UK/Asia.

May be I missed him among all these posts.

Paul McCartney - The Beatles

Saw Her Standing There

Cheers!

caddie

ps - my bad. i shoulda checked the list on the Giby site before I piped up about McCartney.

Now, how 'bout Nick Lowe. Hamer player too!

another vote for Kip Winger. Cheezy 80s image notwithstanding, talent is talent.

Seventeen is the only cheezy song. If you see Winger live this fall, all those old songs are going to stand out better than you remember them.

When this thread started earlier this afternoon it was odd how no one mentioned Glenn Hughes right from the start.

I'm going to have to try to see them. And I like the song Seventeen - I've tried to learn the solo and it's beyond me.

You could probably ask Reb Beach what he is doing at his forum.

Dereck St Holmes - early Nugent

I'm gonna need some documentation on that.

I stand corrected. He was a much better vocalist than Teddie though.

Still is! Seeing Derek this weekend. Psyched.

Derek is a really nice/cool guy in person. I've gotten to chat with him a few times at some of the PRS open house events, and he took the time to speak with EVERYBODY who wanted to talk with him. He told me that he probably has/had a '70s Sunburst kicking around somewhere, but plays mostly PRS stuff these days.

Archived