Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Alright You Vinyl Geeks...

JVC JL-A40 Direct Drive Auto-Return Turntable.

Get your vinyl on! (click link for more pic's)

DSC_1652.JPG

This one has a lot of memories for me, but it's time to clean out the house and make room for some construction which is about to begin.

I mention the memories, not because I believe it would (or should) influence the sale price, but to explain how someone so anti-vinyl as myself would have such an apparatus in his possession.

I recognize that there turntables costing tens of thousands of dollars, and this is not one of them, but when my brother bought this JVC turntable in the late '70's it was THE Shit.

He had landed a pretty decent job for a guy in his late teens, and was starting to accumulate some decent audio gear of the time, so on the recommendation of an audiofile friend of our Father's, he decided on this turntable.

The fact that it still spins (and does so beautifully, by the way) after all of the use my brother, sister and I put it through is a testament to the way they "used to make 'em." It sounds funny and trite to say that about something made in Japan in an era when that was something which was still sort of strange to see, but there's no denying the quality of this unit.

We used it A LOT. Everyday. Sometimes ALL day.

The first time I heard Queen - this turntable.

The first time I heard The Ramones - this turntable.

The first time I heard Jeff Beck's "Wired" - this turntable.

The first time I heard Electric Ladyland, London Calling, Candy-O, Dark Side of the Moon, and yes, even Cheap Trick at Budokan - this turntable.

It was the device which provided the soundtrack to all of the "pot parties" he threw while our Mother was at work, and the same turntable she would entertain her friends with on the weekends.

When Big Brother moved out, I inherited it. Sure, it was in the living room for all to use, but it was always referred to as "Joey's turntable," even years after he had moved out.

This same turntable was what I used to add ambiance to those after school make out sessions with my first "real" girlfriend, if you know what I mean...and I think you do...and years later when I moved out, as seemed to be the tradition, I left it behind for my sister and Mother to use.

CD's had long since taken over music duties at the house, but "Joey's turntable" would still see the occasional use.

Once Mom passed on and we emptied the house, this was one of the few things I took with me, and into my basement it went - nearly 20 years ago - and there it stayed. After all, this was a once indispensable tool which provided the soundtrack for my youth, and I'm not over-stating things by saying so.

So Fast Forward 20 years to this afternoon.

The wife and I were cleaning out the basement; looking for things to throw away, things to donate to Good Will, and thinking if there was a friend who would have a use for this or that something-or-other which we no longer wanted to take up space.

When I came across Joey's turntable, my first inclination was to throw it away. It had certainly served me well, and the last time I had spun a vinyl record I was probably still in high school. Seeing as I have no further intention of doing so, what was I to do with it?

Then I remembered that there are some of you nuts out there who get boners over this stuff, so I wanted to offer it up to you.

I'm not looking to make money on this, even though from my research it appears these things are still worth something.

I honestly want this to go to someone who will use it, knowing that every time the platter spins 33 1/3 times there is a tremendous amount of history which comes with it. The problem, however, is that when you sell something, you forfeit your ability to dictate the terms of its fate.

If I were to Pay It Forward (which I am tempted to do), it could just be thrown on ebay and offered up to the highest bidder. That's certainly something I could do myself, were I not concerned about it going to the first douchebag with a hundred bucks in his pocket.

As I type this I realize that I've never cared one way or another where any inanimate object that I've passed along ended up, just as long as I got my money. In fact, any of you with an ebay account can look at your To Date Sale History and see the total of everything you've ever sold on ebay since the day you joined. For me it happens to be over $116,000 over 12 years and not once in all of that time have I felt sad about selling something - not scores of guitars and not my prized '68 GTO, which I built from a bare chassis.

This is different.

All I can do is ask.

I ask that if you buy it, you use it.

That you do not buy it just to flip it.

I can't put a price on memories (even if my memories meant anything to you), so I won't try.

My cursory research reveals that they are selling (when you can find them) for over $100 all day long, but that's not what I want.

$40 ought to cover shipping and insurance, or you can trade me something of equal value; a decent pickup, 3/4 a tank of gas for my S5, or you can buy me dinner the next time we're together.

Those are my terms, and since I have no power to enforce them, we'll just have to function under the rules of the Honor System (remember that one?).

More photos.

Here's to youth! (...and where the f**k did it go?)

Kiz, I'd take it... I JUST dug out my old vinyl, including a translucent gold Cheap Trick at the Budokan, and have been jonesing to build a vintage hi-fi rig at the family cabin up the road. PMing ya!

Kiz - I'd have bought that in a heartbeat just for the history (and that I don't have a turntable for the vinyl I DO have currently), and paid more just for all that!

It will be in GREAT hands with Rick.

Kiz.....

Thoroughly felt your description of your turntable.

I truly miss large format album art from the vinyl days, as well as film photography and printing in a darkroom.

Digital is a convenient, soulless medium.

Glad I opened this thread for that story. Feel the same way about my first turntable. Although with me it was also the first time I heard Charlie Parker, Led Zeppelin, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, BB King, Miles Davis, ZZ Top and Rush. Mine died some time ago, though (it wasn't as good).

I keep thinking I should get another, as I still have a lot of vinyl just waiting to be listened to.

Mine was my old Dual turntable. The best I could get for my budget. I still have a Japanese import Stranglers LP and some old vinyl my bands did that are gonna get put on this JVC.

I've really been considering selling all my vinyl. I keep promising myself that I'll bring a box home and start playing them. Kind of like promising myself I'd start reading my Guitar Player/Guitar World magazines. Those wound up in a construction dumpster behind my local Office Depot. It took two trips.

I've really been considering selling all my vinyl. I keep promising myself that I'll bring a box home and start playing them. Kind of like promising myself I'd start reading my Guitar Player/Guitar World magazines. Those wound up in a construction dumpster behind my local Office Depot. It took two trips.

I sold all my turntable and vinyl 10 years ago. It was all in mint condition. I'm probably one of the few people that like CD's. MP3's are ok on a portable device but I don't like them on the home stereo.

My son has recently taken to vinyl. He bought a Tool Lateralus two set disks. I visited him this weekend and was glad to hold a vinyl again and look at the "Big" artwork (which in this case is Alex Gray). The disks had pictures on them too. Each side was a different picture.

If this turntable is still available, I'd like to give it to him.

I dig vinyl, scratches, pops, and all. That anticipation as the needle hits and you hear the noise floor change, then "BAM!" - rocking begins? Cherished memory of youth right there.

Great story. One I certainly identify with. Thanks for the sharing, Kiz.

I still have my Sansui turntable that's about 32 years old(!!)and still works great! I think I replaced a belt once. It has an EMprie cartridge that's still going strong. I had the stock one and possibly a Shure in there at other times. I also still have all my old vinyl. So, many memories!

The best new reason to buy a turntable:

81GBAwbIXUL._SL1500_.jpg

These just-released analog-mastered LPs sound incredible. Sgt. Peppers and White Album are a great place to start.

Do the new vinyls have any better qualities that the old ones had...such as less surface noise due to better (new?) materials?

Just wondering.

Do the new vinyls have any better qualities that the old ones had...such as less surface noise due to better (new?) materials?

Just wondering.

Some labels now are high quality, some are lower. I bought 2 albums from the "Bloodshot" label that were warped right out of the box.

Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs and Sundazed are two labels that I've bought that sound great, but I don't think it's because of any superior materials or the thicker vinyl they use-180 or 200g. Plenty of my older albums sound amazing.

I know there are different causes of surface noise, but I own plenty of older records (some were mine originally, some I've bought in second hand stores) that play very clean with little or no surface noise.

BTW, that JVC turntable is sweet.

Just wondering.

Even back in the day, the British pressings on EMI/Parlophone had a richer, more immediate sound than the Capitol remasters and pressings for the US market. This current release was mastered at Abbey Road Studios in an all-analog signal chain. Here is a description of how this release was EQ'd, master, cut, and pressed on top quality 180g vinyl.

As for this release, it exceeded my expectations pretty much in every way. Sound is honest, transparent, rich, and very dynamic. There was no compression and minimal EQ on the mastering. The tonal balance is richer than the stereo Capitol releases we're used to. The dynamics on "Within You Without You" on Sgt Peppers would knock your socks off, especially the tablas. The head engineer said the White Album displays the most new clarity and insight, but really, they're all good. The noise floor is very low, not just for 50+ yr-old tapes, but low on an absolute scale. These are some of the quietest records I own.

I'm not alone on that opinion. Here are some excerpts from the thread on Audiogon by nerds like me who took delivery within a couple of days of the official release:

Had a chance to listen to Sgt Pepper yesterday. Vinyl is very quiet, voices sound clearer ...

I... listened to "Please Please Me". ..., this is the best I've heard of this title.

Listened to Please Please Me last night with Grado mono cartridge on Technics 1200 mkII. Dynamics and clarity are all there. Surface is very quiet. Vocals have never been clearer on any pressing of this album I have, ...

I just received my Mono box set. ... The vinyl is all pristine and flat. The LP's are quiet and clean. ... I have NEVER heard the Beatles sound better.

The new Beatles mono set is, in a word, fabulous. ... The pressing quality is as good it gets. An absolute must for any Beatle fan with a turntable. Better than the Japanese monos by a country mile.

I cleaned and played the first record in the box last night, dead quiet surfaces, sounded great. ...

I just bought the mono version of MMT. IMO, it is the best Beatles pressing that I own of any of their albums.

I also want to point out that much of the surface noise we remember is not the fault of the records; it's the turntables of the '70s and '80s. Most TT mfrs were clueless about noise management and how to drain the extraneous noise out of the signal chain. Even a current entry-level turntable keeps the noise out of the signal path more effectively than a wide range of reputable turntables from the '70s-'80s. If you're starting fresh, I strongly recommend the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon at $399-ish.

carbonbanner.jpg

Archived